MLB Umpire Uniform Policies Chart

RC2004

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find the MLB Umpire Uniform Policies chart. It also has the approved uniform combinations on it. If anyone has a picture could you post in in the thread?

Thanks

FWIW, Honig's, used to do the MLB Uniform shirts and plate coats patches. I'm not sure if they still do. Anyway these placement diagrams and patch colors and sizes are correct to the best of my knowledge for MLB. Blk / white on all black shirts, coats, and jackets. Blue on blue shirts. Hope this helps. :-)

Patches placement.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, JSam21 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.16dfc9422de804c5c8971255af5ed317.jpegThis is actually a movie prop from Moneyball. But it is accurate to the period

This is actually my poster and picture. This is an authentic MLB Uniform policy; it is not a reproduction or studio created "Prop".  It was used in the Movie Moneyball along with the Oakland A's Uniform Policy which I also have.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:09 PM, SJA said:

I'm not sure if they still do.

No, the role of MLBU Outfitter is now performed by Purchase Officials, in Akron, OH. Honig’s just couldn’t maintain that status once Dick Honig retired and sold the business to two of his staff operating out of Denver. 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, tpatience said:

Throwback to the gray shirt

Throwback to the two-stripes-across-the-chest pullover, too! 

44 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

Would love to see these prehistoric out of touch state associations make black and Carolina blue optional.

What, and prompt their aged umpire/member base (the ol' battlewagons) to buy new shirts? Hogwash! 

There are two things obstructing effective change or update: 

1. The continued inclusion of the NFHS Rule, the "Shall be navy" rule. If they simply indicate that each association is responsible for self-determination of uniforms – full stop, that's it, no "in lieu of" – then that will yank the crutch out from under these old fossils that point at the (paper!) rulebook and say, "Navy! The Fed has navy listed, that's what we'll (continue) to use! If it's good enough for the Fed, it's good enough for us!"
  2. The/Some manufacturers' continued, sad devotion to producing the wretched old shirt, that navy one with the red and white trim. Yeah yeah, it's a chicken-and-egg argument; if they stop making them, then ASSociations stop buying them. But then again, if they stop making them, then ASSociations will seek them out and buy them from SOMEwhere else, and that's lost sales. 

I'm at the point in my career that I have purchased a navy w/ red panel, 2016-style umpire shirt, just so I can get and gauge a reaction from a colleague somewhere. I already have my response queued up – "It's navy, ain't it? What's the problem? The Fed book doesn't say anything about style." 

love to identify and expose problems. 
This is the only way they get fixed! 

At the association level, change can happen. It can. Sadly, it takes retirement or death, in most cases. I thought Wisconsin was never going to budge off navy, due to the rumored, ironclad devotion to navy for some ambiguous, arbitrary reason. Turns out, it was an ambiguous, arbitrary, ridiculous personal reason behind it. The state administrator of officials had made it very clear – so long as he sat in the "head poobah" chair, the umpires' shirt color would never be black. Never. 

How bullheaded. How stubborn. How petty. How... how... asinine. 
Get with the times, dude. 

Yeah, so he retires, and the next day, the incoming successor states, "Black is back on the table, folks." 

Man, that was easy. 

Ohio (or Michigan, or Virginia, or Pennsylvania, or etc.) is on the clock. 

* - It won't be Indiana until the NFHS removes that rule citation. The NFHS HQ is in Indianapolis. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Would love to see these prehistoric out of touch state associations make black and Carolina blue optional. (Know it will never happen)

Unofficially we are told at the annual clinics that we can wear whatever during the regular season, so long as we match our partner.  (Which contributes to the litany of shirts in my vehicle that make it look like my wife threw me out.)  I've found a couple of guys who we try to work together when we can because we know we have "the nice shirts" ... 

Post season has to be navy though.

6 hours ago, MadMax said:

I'm at the point in my career that I have purchased a navy w/ red panel, 2016-style umpire shirt, just so I can get and gauge a reaction from a colleague somewhere. I already have my response queued up – "It's navy, ain't it? What's the problem? The Fed book doesn't say anything about style." 

I was about to bring those back up again ... You did order those?!  Where from?  I'd love to order a few to start the revolution around here!

(Did we ever find out why MLB dropped the side panels in lieu of the janitor shirts?)

22 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

(Did we ever find out why MLB dropped the side panels in lieu of the janitor shirts?)

Seems as though they finally ran out of NOS Majestics and they couldn’t get a deal with Smitty (from a contractual standpoint) so they went with Rawlings, which is “in-house” for MLB, so it worked out easier for them this season. I’m not a huge fan of the new shirts personally. 

• Like 1

... and Rawlings can't figure out how to make them?  Or this is what was left over in the warehouse?  😉   When my oldest daughter played school sports, this was often what happened because the rep for the supplier they used was a dad on the team (and a school board member for a long time, not sure how that was legal) ... "Our colors are blue and orange ... why are we wearing black and red?"  "Jack."  "Oh."

I like the blue being worked in, but the shirt is just ... a black polo.  Would love to see black with the blue side panels.