How many batters are allowed to warm up between innings?

Scotty_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

"Two guys with bats, please."

Works every time in HS and college - never had anyone argue.

5 guys with bats. Never had anyone argue. 

Game Management!  Who says, use the rules to solve a problem, not create one!?

21 hours ago, Richvee said:

perfect example of using a rule to solve a problem and not create one. 6, 7 guys outside the dugout swinging bats is not only illegal it's a safety issue. Not allowing a player that needs to use the port-o-john to leave the dugout is NOT the INTENT  of the rule. 

There is one team in my area that does it every year. I'm convinced that I am the only one who enforces it. 

When I do their games now, it's kind of funny because a couple of the kids give me a grin like they know I'm the only one who enforces it. 

And what do I mean by it....the entire lineup 1-9 lined up outside of and parallel to the dugout swinging while the starting pitcher is warming up. 

It's annoying because if I were to end up filing an incident report or worse, I can kiss those games for that school goodbye. 

2 hours ago, Tborze said:

5 guys with bats. Never had anyone argue. 

Game Management!  Who says, use the rules to solve a problem, not create one!?

Enjoy "managing"  that lawsuit when one of those 5 guys clocks another in the head and mom and dad found out your the one who let more than 2 guys swing bats at once.

DHC: Blue, they have too many players swinging bats while my pitcher is warming up.

Me: Coach, you have a full plate coaching your team. I suggest that you go tend to them.

If worrying about  frivolous law suits is a "real" concern, there is insurance available to cover your TWP fears. 

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Tournament Directors (who then direct the umpires as such) who are looking to "make no waves with their participating  paying teams

Just a little fix. ;)

49 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Just a little fix. ;)

Thanks Rich for correcting my careless oversight. :cool:

The Big Five Ignored Rules (4 of them are Fed “safety rules”!!) at tournaments:

1. Necklaces / jewelry (pitchers still cannot wear anything on the throwing wrist)

2. Catchers may wear an earless batting helmet (skullcap) and traditional mask

3.  Batting team will have >2 players up warming / timing up the opposing pitcher during Dead Ball time (tolerated if all have helmets on)

4. Players (and some coaches, for that matter) are everywhere besides the dugouts. Whether that be chasing down foul balls, running the warning track, behind the backstop visiting with their parents, off to the bathroom (or concession stand), or seeking out the complex’s common-ground bullpen (and thus, you the umpire have no way of policing how the catcher is receiving those warmup pitches), they are not all confined within the bounds of the dugout. The only “chance” you have as an umpire to exert authority is to keep helmets on those members of the OT out of the dugout, trying to keep that number to 1 OD batter, and keeping them from creeping closer and closer to the home plate circle. Then you have that 3BC that wants to give his just-retired runner a tutorial on baserunning in the 3BC box.

5. Teams may bat 9/10/11–14, and there are free defensive exchanges / substitutions. If injured, a player is Withdrawn (scratched from lineup) and the lineup compressed with no Out penalty, unless the lineup drops below 9.

Tournaments do this constantly because while the participants know (of) Fed Rules for playability (feint to 3rd is legal, FPSR at 2nd, immediate Dead on Balk, etc), the TDs aren’t as draconian in the “fine print” Fed Rules application...

oh, and if I was to add a 6th, it’s the amount of latitude encouraged of us umpires to grant to coaches (ie. the amount of SH*# we take) before ejecting them.

• Like 3