Jump to content

Balk or No Balk


Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3047 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, maven said:

I don't have anything official. "You're almost coming set twice. Make sure it's one continuous motion to come set." I dunno, that's a lot of words... what would you say?

Just be sure it's not "If you do that Again I will call the balk."

 

I just say, "Be sure you're only setting once."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, maven said:

I don't have anything official. "You're almost coming set twice. Make sure it's one continuous motion to come set." I dunno, that's a lot of words... what would you say?

I would tell catcher, "That looks like a double set, go tell him <brush, brush, brush>"

I would prefer this to be a quick word with the head coach between innings, but by then, I may have seen it 25 times and by that time, it's is de facto allowed because I didn't call it the first 25 times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stkjock said:

wouldn't the double set (or any other verbiage one were inclined to use) be seen during warm ups or at least when the first batter was in the box?  Wouldn't that be the better time to address it?

He might not warm up in the set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, stkjock said:

wouldn't the double set (or any other verbiage one were inclined to use) be seen during warm ups or at least when the first batter was in the box?  Wouldn't that be the better time to address it?

Possibly but I've also noticed that some F1s have a bad habit of doing things like not fully stopping and other such behaviors while warming up. I don't tend to mess with their warm-up routines especially at older ages because as I learned when I was a catcher, pitcher's are head cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Welpe said:

Possibly but I've also noticed that some F1s have a bad habit of doing things like not fully stopping and other such behaviors while warming up. I don't tend to mess with their warm-up routines especially at older ages because as I learned when I was a catcher, pitcher's are head cases.

I see.  So for the sake of my inquiry, would you do it during warms ups IF you saw it then

2 hours ago, maven said:

He might not warm up in the set.

understood.  So for the sake of my inquiry, would you do it during warms ups IF you saw it then

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, maven said:

Yes, of course. I look for hybrid stance, no stop (depending on level), or any other illegality during warm-ups, and I have no problem with preventive officiating. (If you think it's coaching, take it to the coach and let him address it.)

Thank you Maven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would probably let it go because it's difficult to be 100% sure.  One thing to consider - if you wouldn't balk him if he delivered after the first "set" then you probably should balk him for setting twice.

Either way, these are piss poor pitching mechanics and his coach should tell him to make a change.  Way more risk than reward on this one, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...