Flags on uniforms

jpperez14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3220 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Flag on sleeves  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What trim is would be best for navy and black shirts?

• White Trim
    • Gold Trim
    • No trim

I like the subdued flag with gray trim on all black shirts and jackets. Shirts on the sleeve, Jackets on the back in the middle below the collar line. Red, white and blue with white trim on all others.  

I'm with @ShotKaller on this one... 

• On Black and Grey shirts: Subdued (black and white) flags on left sleeve

• On Classic Polo Blue (Columbia), Cream, Pink, or any others with black trim: Full RWB colored flags with black edge (trim)

• On Navy, White, Red, or Powder: Full RWB colored flags with white edge (trim)

It used to be that the gold trim was reserved for veterans, but now I think anything goes.

In the same thought, it was explained to me that gold borders were for vets and law enforcement.  I always went with that because it seems to make sense.

• Like 1

Instead of having patches, my football and basketball shirts now have dye-sublimated flags, which are incorporated into the fabric with the dye. The process leaves a small, white border.

These will eventually come to umpire shirts.

​I knew that we were going to the dye-sublimated in football (with a 1 year transition - $#%@#%), but basketball too??? And yea, it does annoy me that the flag is built-in with a white border. I earned a yellow border and I'd like to have it. No, not the biggest problem in the world, but still...

• Like 1

​I knew that we were going to the dye-sublimated in football (with a 1 year transition - $#%@#%), but basketball too??? And yea, it does annoy me that the flag is built-in with a white border. I earned a yellow border and I'd like to have it. No, not the biggest problem in the world, but still...

​I don't know whether Denny is ready to change shirts yet. Not as much pressure to put a state logo on the shirt in basketball, nor has NCAA moved away from the 1-inch stripe (just side panels, which we can wear). I think it's a good idea to change shirts twice a decade, to get the old timers who use one shirt a bazillion times to buy a new shirt.

I'd think the gold border were a bigger deal if anyone more than you and me and 6 other people knew what it signified.

​No, a free thinker citizen of the world.

​Funny story about that. I was teaching English in east Asia many years ago, and there was a guy who grew up in South Central LA and had taken an African name who like to tell his students that he was a "citizen of the world." He had some claim to the title, having lived much of his adult life in South America, Egypt, and then Asia.

His students were known to remark: "Oh, that's so American! Say something like that again!"

True, true.

Do citizens of any other country use the phrase "A citizen of the world"?

Other than citizens of Greece, maybe - for those of you following news of the world..........

​Not that I have ever heard.  Nor something that you will ever hear me utter.