Conflict of Interest?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3281 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I turned down an assignment involving my girlfriend's son's 12U 50/70 rec team, because I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to work his games (we live together, if that matters).  My assigner thinks it isn't an issue. I feel like it's a can of worms I'd rather not open.  And I'd also prefer to be able to just watch the game if I'm available.

Where do you draw the line on working games involving family members, friends, kids of friends, etc.?

Not a big deal below HS varsity, IMO. Tell your assigner (which you did), and let him make the call.

This issue varies widely depending on how many umpires an area has: small towns where everyone's related can't afford people getting off games for COI.

I have found that when I am umpiring games that involve kids or coaches that I know outside of the baseball world, I am tougher on that team so as not to appear as though I am showing favortism.  I have had my senior pastor's grandson several times in games and he always acknowledges me from outside the fence and is always pleasant.  It's sometimes tough to call but be objective and remember that it's just a game.  I worked a game one time with a partner that his son was actually playing and like me, he was tougher on his son than he was on the rest of the players.

I have worked games involving some of my former players and guys I coached with.  They didn't seem to mind and I think they thought knowing me might get them a break or an edge somehow.  They found out the hard way that that didn't fly with me.  I love THE GAME itself.  No one person or relationship is more important to me when I am umpiring than the game itself-its rules and traditions.  Therefore, I have never had a problem.  After those guys who knew me from my coaching life understood my passion and dedication to the game they did not have any issues with me working their games.  In fact, the head coach and new assistants told the players that did not know me that "That umpire right there will ring you up for sure if you don't swing the bat. So you'd best go up to the plate ready to swing at any pitch that looks like it might be a strike."  I am proud to have that reputation.

The key is how you feel about your ability to work the game without passion for any particular team, coach or player but only for the game itself and the rules.  It has not caused me any problems personally or professionally to date.  The game itself is bigger to me than anyone or any team.

• Like 1

I have found that when I am umpiring games that involve kids or coaches that I know outside of the baseball world, I am tougher on that team so as not to appear as though I am showing favortism.  I have had my senior pastor's grandson several times in games and he always acknowledges me from outside the fence and is always pleasant.  It's sometimes tough to call but be objective and remember that it's just a game.  I worked a game one time with a partner that his son was actually playing and like me, he was tougher on his son than he was on the rest of the players.

​Not exactly fair for you to be tougher on them because you are then displaying favortism to the other team.  You are over doing it.  Either umpire fairly for both teams or turn down the game.  If you're not doing that then it isn't objective at all.

• Like 1

I didn't see @Maven tell him to take it.  He seemed to say it shouldn't be a problem, but, as always, if YOU'RE uncomfortable working the game, by all means, decline it.

• Like 1

I try not to umpire my son's games in Little League but if push comes to shove and the alternative is a dad who has no clue standing behind the mound? I'll jump in every time and just do what I normally would do versus having the kids play a poorly officiated game. I have yet to have an issue and find that routine just takes over in calling balls and strikes - balls are balls and strikes are strikes. And yes I have rung up my kid many more times that I would have liked but strike 3 is strike 3.

On the other hand we are part of a smaller community league with fairly chill parents and coaches which I can see making a difference in my decision making process to cover a game or not. If we were in a highly competitive league/aggressive parent league and I had to endure a bunch of bitching from the parents and coaches about me covering my kids game then I maybe would not jump in so quickly. Coaches we can handle... chirpy parents on the other side of the fence line can be a different animal.

• Like 3

When I was playing LL, my uncle, cousin & brother were 3 of the 5 umpires the league had.  I didn't have too many games without at least one of them on the field.  Everybody knew who we were and nobody said anything. 

Having said that, I would not work any games that a family member was a participant in.  You have to do what you're comfortable with.

Edited by LMSANS

As a kid my dad used to umpire my games and I hated it! I am convinced that he called against me so as to not be accused of being biased.  Lets just say it was an issue in the house.  

Take it for what it's worth but it may force your games to come home with you, not always a good thing.

In my opinion, you should not umpire your kids games, but not for the reasons you think. I always try to watch my kids play and never umpire their games. You can never recapture the time missed not seeing them play. When my kids play, I do my utmost to see their games. Their time on the field playing baseball is very short, so try not to miss it. Sit in the stands and enjoy the game. There will always be another game for you to umpire, but your kids playing baseball will end sooner than you think. You'll never regret watching the game, and you will never have to struggle with a perceived conflict of interest. JMHO.

• Like 3

I didn't see @Maven tell him to take it.  He seemed to say it shouldn't be a problem, but, as always, if YOU'RE uncomfortable working the game, by all means, decline it.

​Quite right. I'd guess from the fact that he bothered posting the question that he wasn't confident that there was a conflict, and wanted to be on the safe side. That's fine as far as it goes; but if you're not sure, ask someone with the experience and knowledge of the area, level, etc. to give you guidance, such as an assigner.

I agree with Maven - if you are comfortable with it, then do it. If it is a 'big game' like the team winning a tournament or such, then perception could be an issue. Just treat both teams fairly and the same and have fun if you decide to do the game.

Many years ago, when I was in HS and umpired LL, I was the plate guy for my younger brother's game. To tell you how that worked out - I got my first two ejections in that game. #1. My brother for going off on me for calling him out at the plate, #2 my dad (the coach) for the same thing. 30+ years later, I still hear about that :) . I called their games after that, because the league needed umpires and the hot dogs were good. Never had another issue with them.

• Like 4

I turned down an assignment involving my girlfriend's son's 12U 50/70 rec team, because I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to work his games (we live together, if that matters).  My assigner thinks it isn't an issue. I feel like it's a can of worms I'd rather not open.  And I'd also prefer to be able to just watch the game if I'm available.

Where do you draw the line on working games involving family members, friends, kids of friends, etc.?

​I like your thought process..............I do not work games involving friends children, family or relatives.....I blocked my Son and Daughters HS from my schedule for 6 years....just so that there would be no appearance of conflict of interest........

Plus you get to support the young man as he plays........if you were on the field and he did something great, you could not celebrate it in any acknowledged manner.... 

Edited by Stan W.
clarity......
  • Like 1

​I like your thought process..............I do not work games involving friends children, family or relatives.....I blocked my Son and Daughters HS from my schedule for 6 years....just so that there would be no appearance of conflict of interest........

Plus you get to support the young man as he plays........if you were on the field and he did something great, you could not celebrate it in any acknowledged manner....

​Not a fan of this thought process.  The bottom line - if you're at ALL uncomfortable, don't take the game.  Most of us are from places where we know a LOT of baseball people.  I know 75% of the high school coaches my board assigns.

Decide for yourself, don't ask someone to hold your hand.

IMHO

I started my formal umpire career in a town in Outback Australia.  If I'd followed some of the lines of reasoning here, I'd have worked about 3 games, and had to quit, since the baseball community in that town (Alice Springs) was small.  Hell, the town itself was about 25,000 people - and there were NO "outlying areas."

Well, there were, but you'd call it "The rest of Australia, after hundreds of miles of nothing."

So I knew people - with varying degrees of familiarity - on every team, at every age level, in town.  And I was the "Umpire rep" on the board for a couple years.  [Don't get too impressed - my 'empire' consisted of maybe 3-4 certified umpires, including me;  it wasn't like we were rolling through Poland in '39.  (Too soon?)]

Bam is onto it - if you're not comfortable, don't take the games, BUUUUUUT... don't be unnecessarily uncomfortable, if that makes sense.  Don't let other people make you think you should be uncomfortable, or make you think you should turn games down.

On a few occassions, I have had to call a game for one of my children.  I was told to have them call me "Mr. Umpire" or "Mr Referee" (depending on which sport) because we were short on officials that day.  I would rather not umpire their games if I don't have to as I can't watch them.  As for people I know?  I couldn't call games in this county if I did that.  

Never had to call one of my kids' games, but have several of their friends. I called a fairly low strike on one. He turns to me and said "I thought we were friends." I just said "we are, and that was a strike."

A few years ago at 13u we had a kid we had picked up for the AAYBA World Series. He got picked off of second diving back on what looked to be a bad call. One of the the fathers on my team who is usually stoic (as well as most of the parents) was upset and mouthy about the call. I had to pull him aside and explain that the field ump who called him out was the kid's brother and that was his father behind the plate. They gave the kid no breaks in that game.