Unequal vs West Vest Gold

Mr Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3298 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some of us can't be Umpire School graduates. Being in Florida I have worked with a couple hundred school graduates. Most of them are not any better than the rest of us. It's not always a about the money. I use my money to buy different gear. I try it if I don't like it I resell. Criticizing someone cause of what they buy is somewhat ludicrous.

• Like 1

I took another foul ball dead center of chest while wearing Unequal CP on Wednesday in an NAIA college game. Felt the ball impact. Knew I was hit but no pain. No bruising. Just a push. As if you'd been hit by a tennis ball (thrown at you. not served from a racket-that does sting). No ill effects. No time out needed. Play on. Someone in dugout said "nice stop blue". Also played backstop on another wildly pitched ball that bounced into right pectoral side of chest. Same result. And another "nice stop blue". Hahaha

2015 hit by pitched/fouled balls count: 3

• Like 2

The one thing I can't seem to look past in the U.E. products is how they still have plastic in the critical areas. Since in my day job I am an Engineer by trade here are the conclusions I have arrived at:

The real argument comes down to which CP design type protects better against "Blunt force trauma" i.e. baseball crashing into the body. 

For Kevlar is all about energy disbursement. For ABS Plastics... the most important mechanical properties are impact resistance and toughness.

The Kevlar works in the same basic way as the net in a soccer goal. Like a soccer goal, it has to "give" a certain amount to absorb the energy of a projectile. The key here is that it still "gives" meaning the body will absorb some of the force of the projectile. This explains why the UE chest protector and the shin guards still have plastic plates in key areas. Even though the UE does a good job of reducing the energy of a baseball, it still allows some "force" to get through. It will be this "force" that will cause damage to your shoulder blade, shoulder cap, collar bone, knee cap, or shin bone. All are areas that sit just below skin surface and can be broken with minimal force/pressure, thus require the extra plastic plate protection.

But what about heart protection??? 

That same force that is enough to bruise the flesh under the UE can still be enough to disrupt the rhythm of the heart... this is not just a flaw of the UE this can be experienced with a standard CP also. However the plastic plates will do a better job of deflecting the force since the most important mechanical properties of ABS plastic are impact resistance and toughness

Here are some other things to consider about Kevlar....

• Kevlar textiles tend to absorb moisture. Very few general cloths are manufactured with Kevlar.
  • Kevlar reacts well under a tensile force (stretching force) but badly under a compression force (pressing force) It is not used where compression resistance is needed.
  • Kevlar reacts badly to UV light (sunlight) unless it is protected / hidden from direct sunlight.
  • In order for Kevlar to be as effective as possible, it needs to be kept away from water and direct sunlight

What kind of engineer?

Mechanical Engineer

I sent an email to Force3 to find out what they thought about the claims, made by many umpires, about their product and why they use plastic on the shoulder area on the chest protector and all on their shin guards. I also mentioned that many umpires thought that plastic is better at the protection, along what it was said about the Kevlar. Here's what they reply:

Thanks for your questions, and we're happy to answer any/all questions about our products. First off,the easiest part of what you'd like to know about our kevlar is that is encapsulated and coated with a patented coating which protects it from being exposed to air. Direct sunlight will begin to degrade the kevlar, but ours is not exposed to sunlight. Besides being encapsulated, we don't have it exposed where it would be subject to any sunlight. Even if it was, kevlar does not degrade overnight. It would take years of constant exposure to the sun to begin losing its characteristics. Also you have to remember this is most important for the technology kevlar is famous for, stopping bullets.

The reasoning behind the plastic in the shin guards and shoulder area is really a function of having something molded to the correct shape. It would be very hard to mold a shoulder piece or leg guard any other way (economically). The pieces over the shoulders blades are purely cosmetic. They can be removed and there would be no difference in the protection as the rest of the body. The protector is made up of a great high impact resistant closed cell foam, layer of kevlar and blast shield on top of it. We even have kevlar underneath the plastic shoulder caps.

To learn more about how it works, please check out this video:

No protector on the market eliminates impacts and forces getting through. Even protectors made of plastic do not deflect all of the energy. Our goal is to spread the impact out and reduce the blunt force trauma to the body. Plastic does not have the disbursement characteristics of kevlar, therefore any impact is transferred directly into the body, and not spread out. Direct impacts can leave you more susceptible to internal damage vs.superficial ones.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I just recieved my UE  CP & CP  and  I must say that I am impressed with both units. Shin pads 16.5 are a perfect fit and the CP feels different but safe and that is to be expected when coming from a douglas. I had a great time dealing with Jason who answered every email and question.

The only thing I will do to the CP is change the harness to my own version of the DF. I will also swap out the top webbing and use the same elastic  for the lower back.

Right now I have no plans to take anything off as where they have placed it covers me fine.

Looking forward to getting in the cage

The collarbone question is answered.  Took a shot to the collarbone area today, which then rolled up the protector into the side of my neck.  Collarbone was fine, but getting hit in the side of the neck didn't feel very good.

Wore the UE CP and SG's today for the first time in a college game. Did not get hit as my catchers were superb. The one thing I noticed is with both on, I forgot I had them on after the first warmup pitch. Very comfortable. My Gerry Davis shins use to shift and move no matter how tight I made them. Only improvement I can do to the CP is add All Star harness which I will do next week. Low profile under the Plate Coat is nice too.

My WVG TW arrives Monday so we will see how the old vet handles her upgrade. Either way with WVG or UE I will feel protected ...and that is all that matters....

• Like 1

Ordered my UE today. :D

:no: ..... you too?!?

It's what all the cool people are wearing. Come to the Dark Side, Young Skywalker. You won't be disappointed. B)

Games worked 36

uh oh .........uh oh ........... :blink:  :wacko:  :wacko2:  :unsure2: .... damn, I thought we had a hypnotized smiley! 

The WVG TW has arrived. Feels heavier than before but is thinner and more comfortable than the original. So now much like my garage with two old school Camaro's in it I have the UE and WVG in the back of the SUV to choose from on game day. Makes you almost want to get hit....lol

post-1873-0-89849600-1427236163_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-63904400-1427236207_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-44984200-1427236361_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-92881600-1427236445_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The WVG TW has arrived. Feels heavier than before but is thinner and more comfortable than the original.

How long did it take door to door?17 days

Again was hit today while wearing my UE chest protector.  HURT LIKE HELL.  Didn't come any where near the UE, but my thigh should be alright after icing it.

• Like 6

I gave my UE another try last night...I took those stupid armpit wings off and liked it better.  I need a DF harness and it may be better...it is still heavy and hot.  Maybe I'll learn to like it.

• Like 1