'REAL' job

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1807 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I started my work life at McDonald's. Stayed 7 years,. Had a choice to stay with it as a general manager or move on. I moved on. That was 23 years ago. Right choice for me, but another friend just hit 30 years with the company.

I've been in my current company almost 12 years now. Doing well (been the CMO for 2 years now), but my plan is to pay off the house, put my kid through college, and hopefully have enough socked away to downsize and retire before 60. We'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I started my career as a DBA but have held a variety of data related roles.  I'm currently in technical sales for a software company but will be changing jobs and going back to my DBA / architect roots in our financial crimes consulting practice.

For those younger folks working "not fun" jobs, take heart. Many, many of us here started at the bottom. I was fortunate in that my first real job was umpiring little league baseball at 13 but I've had a variety of jobs that weren't glamorous including washing golf carts, working in construction and the like. Take this time to learn as much as you can from these jobs.

Just changed jobs back in December from private security to insurance sales. Much better gig. Taking a leave of abscense from umpiring this year to spend more time with the family and the little tike. We'll see how it goes this summer. May be back on the diamond before I know it!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Organist, specifically professional sports. I play for a Southern California NHL team and previously played non-game events at an MLB stadium. I know how to play many things, but '3 Blind Mice' isn't one of them.

That's good!  

Rumor has it (okay...it's the truth..) that playing it can get you ejected...at least from a minor league game...

A maven (also mavin) is a trusted expert in a particular field, who seeks to pass knowledge on to others. The word maven comes from Hebrew, meaning "one who understands", based on an accumulation of knowledge.

Related to MAVEN

A maven (also mavin) is a trusted expert in a particular field, who seeks to pass knowledge on to others. The word maven comes from Hebrew, meaning "one who understands", based on an accumulation of knowledge.

Related to MAVEN

Well I guess that sort of, kind of explains maven's role around here ...........

LOL!

:wave: 

Own my own independent insurance  agency  for the last 35 years, started at  25

Being that you're from/in New Jersey... what is this insurance from? (cue the theme song from The Sopranos, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Wise Guys, American Gangster, American Hustle, etc.)

Related to MAVEN

I'm fairly familiar with the term...

I work here.

• Like 1