Jump to content
  • 0

When your behind the plate, should you rest your hand on the catcher's back?


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4726 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

No. You should not. If you are, you are probably setting up too soon. You have more time than you think back there. Yes, it is possible for the catcher to readjust, but usually he sets up and you still have time to set up and then assume the position to properly call the pitch. For the box, your hands should be, according to HW, Comprehensive Manual for Two Umpire System, Index of Signals and Mechanics, pg 1 and Jim Evans, in his Maximizing the Two Umpire System, on pg 269, slot hand loosely in front of crotch, with the other hand resting on side of leg by knee.

  • 0
Posted

I wouldn't do it just because it often makes the catcher uncomfortable. I however don't mind hovering your hand over their back without actually touching them. There are several pros who do that just to get a feel for the distance they are off the plate and from the catcher. The only time I ever say is ok to touch the catcher is in a kid ball game weather it is LL, select, pony, or anything like that is when the kid wants to bail on the pitch and hang you out to dry. Grab the back of his chest protector and urn him into a shield. :sarcasm:

  • 0
Posted

NO. Any catcher I've ever asked hates it. I don't do it, and I don't think anyone should really. Plus, if a catcher and umpire start to disagree or begin to argue throughout the game about B/S or anything else, it makes for an awkward scene to still go down and put your hand on his back. I've heard of a catcher being ejected just because he turned and said "get your f***ing hand off me!" 

 

Moral of the story, don't.

  • 0
Posted
I wouldn't do it just because it often makes the catcher uncomfortable. I however don't mind hovering your hand over their back without actually touching them.
What's the purpose of hovering???
  • 0
Posted

 

ONE WAY is, you rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

Fixed your post.

 

ONE WAY, AND THE BEST WAY, is to rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

You forgot something.....

  • 0
Posted

 

 

ONE WAY is, you rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

Fixed your post.

 

ONE WAY, AND THE BEST WAY, is to rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

You forgot something.....

 

This is an opinion and not a matter of fact. Different strokes for different folks. We're all built differently. Some can do the Box. Others Scissors. Some like the Gerry Davis. It's up the person. One stance is not better over the other. It's that you exercise proper mechanics, head height, and timing that counts.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Just wondering about that...

 

Thanks

You should rest your hand on the catcher's back.

 

Note:  I'm assuming that you are in a men's prison and looking for some "company."  Otherwise, the question makes no sense.  ;)

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

ONE WAY is, you rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

Fixed your post.

ONE WAY, AND THE BEST WAY, is to rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

You forgot something.....

This is an opinion and not a matter of fact. Different strokes for different folks. We're all built differently. Some can do the Box. Others Scissors. Some like the Gerry Davis. It's up the person. One stance is not better over the other. It's that you exercise proper mechanics, head height, and timing that counts.

What Manny said.

  • 0
Posted

I've never understood the advantage that some feel is gained by "the hand on the back of the catcher"......I have seen some stick out the arm momentarily to guage the distance but not actually rest it on the back...... I dont teach it nor do it personally........as an old catcher, I would not have liked it......

  • 0
Posted

 

I wouldn't do it just because it often makes the catcher uncomfortable. I however don't mind hovering your hand over their back without actually touching them.
What's the purpose of hovering???

 

Just as a way to measure your distance behind the catcher. I don't do it but I've seen it done several times and I've never had a problem with it. I do suppose to probably keeps your arm from getting hit as much if it's hidden behind the catcher.

  • 0
Posted
I wouldn't do it just because it often makes the catcher uncomfortable. I however don't mind hovering your hand over their back without actually touching them.
What's the purpose of hovering??? Just as a way to measure your distance behind the catcher. I don't do it but I've seen it done several times and I've never had a problem with it. I do suppose to probably keeps your arm from getting hit as much if it's hidden behind the catcher. But if you're not touching him, how do you know if you're hand is one inch away or one foot away? I just use peripheral vision to set my depth, so my hand isn't needed. YMMV. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  • 0
Posted

I feel that the only reason why you are putting your hand out is because you are setting way to early. Don't be quick to set back there. You will wear your leg muscles out quicker. It's one thing to look hungry to work out there, it's another to be overly aggressive.

  • 0
Posted

 

 

 

ONE WAY is, you rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

Fixed your post.

 

ONE WAY, AND THE BEST WAY, is to rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

You forgot something.....

 

This is an opinion and not a matter of fact. Different strokes for different folks. We're all built differently. Some can do the Box. Others Scissors. Some like the Gerry Davis. It's up the person. One stance is not better over the other. It's that you exercise proper mechanics, head height, and timing that counts.

 

Of course it's an opinion, I never meant to insinuate other wise!  I whole heatedly agree, do what is best for you, except touching the catcher.

  • 0
Posted

 

 

 

 

ONE WAY is, you rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

Fixed your post.

 

ONE WAY, AND THE BEST WAY, is to rest your hands firmly on your knees, in a rock solid lock in mechanism.

 

You forgot something.....

 

This is an opinion and not a matter of fact. Different strokes for different folks. We're all built differently. Some can do the Box. Others Scissors. Some like the Gerry Davis. It's up the person. One stance is not better over the other. It's that you exercise proper mechanics, head height, and timing that counts.

 

Of course it's an opinion, I never meant to insinuate other wise!  I whole heatedly agree, do what is best for you, except touching the catcher.

 

Not a problem Blue. It's all good.

  • 0
Posted

I think the hovering method is to set yourself but also gives you clue if the catcher bakes off to chase a ball. I don't agree with it but some do do it. 

  • 0
Posted

If the catcher moves way inside I'll put my fingertips on the catcher's back.  I would say they never know I touch them.  I do it just to make sure there's space between us so I'm not dry humping him.

×
×
  • Create New...