Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. Wonder how players, coaches, and fans would feel if the BU carried throughout the game.
  2. I can confirm the rule is the same for 2019, on NFHS's online book:
  3. Umpire discretion, really. I wouldn't, but would reply "Yes way" as he walks away.
  4. Only if where he's hit is in foul territory. Intent for fair/foul doesn't matter.
  5. Sometimes the "you" and "you're" is implied. This is one of them.
  6. I tend to call it for a runner that just finished sliding and isn't in jeopardy of being put out, or a batter who has some piece of equipment to take off. But if the ball is in his vicinity, I won't grant the time until it's away from him. If a fielder does it, I usually reply, "Why?" We aren't MLB, where every ball gets removed after it's hit the dirt or a bat, so I'm not granting time every time the ball makes its way back to the infield.
  7. I agree with @noumpere on this - it's an experience thing. With that said, there are times that I'll make a glance to my partner before making a call. This is not one of them, and I'll typically do it quickly as the play develops. BUT I can see a newer umpire checking to make sure, especially if he's not 100% clear on mechanics and responsibilities. In this situation, though, it seems to clearly be that he had no idea what the call was and was hoping PU would bail him out from the start.
  8. Rich, I think we're reading the "in-your-face stuff" comment differently. The whole quote, at least the way I read it, is that we're (and by "we", I mean "society") more polarizing than we've ever been. Everything is this-or-that and there's no in-between. To many people, different opinions automatically lumps you into the "that" category, no matter your opinions on anything else. And, thanks to the Internet, those opinions - right or wrong - have an equal voice and you can always find someone with the same opinion, ready to blindly agree to everything you say. And, were you to have a different opinion, they don't want to hear it and there's dozens of people behind them ready to defend that stance, right or wrong. This ideal of "I'm always right" has begun to proliferate the offline world. No longer are debates, political or otherwise, a discourse between two opinions. It's a shouting match and the one who shouts loudest or longest wins, no matter how right or wrong they are. Not surprisingly, these same shouters tend to be the ones that complain about the thought of "everyone's opinion matters," simply because the other person's opinion and feelings don't matter to them. It doesn't mean everyone's opinion is right, but simply that in order to reason yourself into a stance, you should listen to the other side's stance, too.
  9. Save this one for training. Both umpires are in perfect positions for their respective plays. I don't know that you could ever see a better example of how to handle both sides of this situation.
  10. Don't know that wedge is going to work too well in this situation, given a charging F2 and the last second spin he made. If you were in his back pocket as he came up, you'd still be blocked from the tag attempt. This is one that every one of those umpires armchaired after the game and might even show up on some training videos. I don't know that Diaz had anywhere he could have gone once he saw what was developing. He did the best he could, and this is one of those situations that we're glad replay is an option.
  11. In case there's any state officials or organization presidents scouring this board for ideas on recruiting and keeping new officials: 1. Move start times to 5pm or later and prioritize games to Friday evenings and weekends. Not all people can leave work every day for a 4pm game, and even 5pm games are difficult. 2. Find a way to offset initial costs, especially in equipment-heavy sports, like baseball. An initial cost of $400+ is too much for many new officials to handle. EIther have used equipment they can "borrow" for their first year or two, or work with a supplier (ump-attire, Gerry Davis) to offer a lower price to the organization. The organization pays for the equipment and takes it out over the year, whether through holding back pay or having the umpire pay installments. If they stop officiating or paying before it's paid off, the equipment is returned to the organization, who uses it for borrowing to the next group of officials. If possible, have the schools help pay for the equipment - with 20 schools and 5 new officials at $400, it's about $100 per school; at $5/game, they're helping cover that expense. If they need officials in order to play their games, they should help in getting officials properly equipped onto the field. 3. Stop with the "Good Ol' Boys" scheduling. So many times the longest-tenured officials get the better games, rather than the better-qualified ones. On top of that, these same officials refuse to work earlier-scheduled games, even if doing so makes more officials available. For example, these longer-tenured officials are retired, but only get the games later in the day, despite being available for the earlier games. 4. Take care of the fans. Let them know that abuse isn't tolerated and actually do something when it happens. Rather than having a "site administrator" sitting in their office, or on the sidelines talking to another teacher or parent, actually walk around to the different games, standing within earshot of the fans. When abuse occurs, ask the offender to leave. 5. Take care of the officials. Give them an actual private changing room inside the school and offer a ride to the field if it's away from the school. Give them a ride back at the end of the game. Offer water and healthy snacks in the changing room, along with appropriate heating/cooling. Provide water throughout the game. 6. Waive/refund state membership costs after a certain number of games officiated. Step it down if needed. Assuming $40 to register, refund $10 after the 20th game and another $10 for every 10 games after that (adjust as needed for the sport and realistic expectations). Rather than paying the money, use it to offset their fees for the next year. "You worked 30 games last year, so you'll only need to pay $25 next year." If you raised the yearly cost to $45 or $50, you'll more than offset the amounts you're "refunding". 7. Make a one-cost model for state registration. Rather than paying by sport, pay by school year and allow one sport per season (fall / winter / spring) on that registration. Have a lower cost for anyone who wants additional sports per season. This would entice officials to look at other sports during their "off" season (fall and winter for baseball officials, for example). Fan abuse may be the primary reason officials quit, but it's not the only one. Take care of all of the issues and you'll attract more to the field. If you can market a low-cost entry to the officiating world, you'll attract more people. Seeing a $200-400 entry to a sport is much too high for someone who isn't sure they'll even enjoy doing it. I know a lot of organizations do as much as they can to attract, whether through equipment donations or lowered fees for different reasons, but there's some onus on the state to help defray those costs as well, especially in times where even finding people is proving to be difficult.
  12. It *could* be interference in FED or NCAA (see @Senor Azul's post above). And interference is an out.
  13. yawetag

    Cursing

    Username checks out. While I may not mind profanity on my field in most situations, you'll never catch me using it. Primarily because - no matter what the coach or player said - someone is going to hear me and I'll be left defending myself to an assigner or TD. And, no matter how I'm absolved to that person, there's still a player or fan that will never forget that "umpire who cussed at the coach". That's about 18 minutes too long.
  14. First, don't EVER talk to a fan. Ever. (did I make that clear?) Second, Ignore / Acknowledge / Warn / Eject You ignored at first; AC was throwing hands up and asking where some pitches were - not a good thing, but not worth anything. The moment he says "it's down the middle," you jump to Acknowledge - "I had it down, coach." This tells him you understand what he's saying, but it's not the place to argue. He replies with "it's a strike all day," you're in Warn - "That's enough!" If he doesn't understand what that means, he will soon enough. After "That's enough," if he says anything back to you other than "Sorry," you're probably in Eject. This is all increasingly so because he's an assistant coach. Leashes for them should be much shorter, but that comes with him understanding his leash is shorter. Oh, and don't ever talk to fans.
  15. When I was living in the foothills of the Appalachians and met my wife, who was living in Cincinnati at the time, she asked me if I was a redneck. I replied, "No, I'm a green-neck. I'm not quite ripe. I like country music, but I hate NASCAR and Busch beer."
  16. Wrong game show. I think we need to thank Drew (and the lovely ladies, I guess).
  17. When I'm the first person, yes.
  18. yawetag

    First EJ

    Seems like a good ejection, especially from the scorekeeper.
  19. I had to read that several times before realizing "Jared Diamond" is a person and not some advertisement for a jeweler.
  20. Benny Rodriguez : [watching Wendy Peffercorn on the lifeguard chair putting on suntan lotion] Oh, man! Yeah Yeah : Yeah, yeah. Too cruel. Timmy : She don't know what she's doin'. Tommy : She don't know what she's doin'. Kenny : Yeah, she does. She knows exactly what she's doin'. Squints : I've swum here every summer in my adult life. And every summer, there she is. Lotion. Oilin'. Oilin'! Lotion. Smiling. Smiling! I can't take this no more!
  21. Umpires have the ability to place runners where they feel they would be absent the incorrect call. In this, the umpires would need to determine if B/R would have advanced without being out; if so, sounds like bases loaded with 2 outs.
  22. He's probably happy those glasses are back in style.
  23. How many runners were on base?
  24. yawetag

    Hit By Pitch

    If the kid is bailing and gets hit, he's getting his base from me. The rules say he can't permit the ball to touch him - bailing is not permitting it to hit him.
  25. From the inside looking where I'm standing, both coaches know my name at the plate meeting. If one elects to remember it, that's not "familiarity".
×
×
  • Create New...