Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. There's a field in the St. Louis area that requires a 20-minute delay when the sun is going down. With one particular league with time-limits, you take 10 minutes off each game, even though the delay is wholly in the first game.
  2. In reverse, but in drive.
  3. yawetag

    Complete game

    That makes sense @Lou B.
  4. Let's be fair here. No evaluator will be out watching games in that weather.
  5. I think the word is "liable". But I'll leave the legal ramifications to those who have gone down that road or are lawyers.
  6. I'm confused. You called him safe. Your partner is visibly laughing and you go to talk to him. He's still laughing and tells you "great call." Yet he then says the runner was out (how does that make your call great?), but since there's only 30 seconds left you should call him safe so you can "go home". If there's only 1 out, this out (which was the correct call to your "good" partner) would have made a second out with 30 seconds to go. I don't see a third out occurring in 30 seconds. I won't even go into the laughing, the "great call" comment yet telling you that it was the wrong call, or the keeping the wrong call correct, or using the game clock to base your call. I'll give my opinion, though: He might be older, but he's not good.
  7. yawetag

    Complete game

    Home team. Maybe my math is wrong, though. Home team is down by one and two runs scored, yet the final score has them winning by two. -1 + 2 = +1
  8. I'll be the "not me" guy. Not me. As long as it matches, wear what it takes to keep warm. Unless it's a short-sleeve polo with long-sleeves underneath. That's ugly.
  9. Don't really care what certification anyone in the dugout has. I need an adult in the dugout. And, as @Senor Azul said above (and I said earlier), follow what your state says to do. Ask this at the beginning of the year next year if there's nothing codified.
  10. Lou B is correct on the awards. Two bases at time of pitch if the ball first fell in fair territory beyond third base and then went out of play. I want to touch on the Infield Fly (IFF) situation though. Kyle, you mention that that this was an "obvious infield fly" yet you follow it with the "wind was howling". One of the pieces of IFF is that the fly must be able to be caught by an infielder using ordinary effort. In a situation where the wind is so strong that it can divert a fly ball at least 30 feet after hitting the ground, I don't know that I can call an IFF on that. It would depend completely on how the infielders are acting. If they're camped under the spot and the ball just falls next to them, I've probably got an IFF. But if they're running around like they're being blown by the same wind and can't seem to locate where the ball's going to fall, it's going to be hard to call IFF in that situation. No matter what happened with the IFF, though, all runners (and the batter-runner if it wasn't IFF) should have been awarded two bases from time of pitch. In this situation: If IFF was called, you've got R3 and R2 scoring, R1 on 3B, and the batter called out. You now have R3 with 1 out. If IFF was not called, you've got R3 and R2 scoring, R1 on 3B, and the batter on 2B. You now have R2/R3 with 0 outs.
  11. It is a D3 game.
  12. 1. You find the site administrator and tell him/her to make sure the coach leaves.; and/or 2. You tell the new head coach of his team to tell the old head coach to leave the confines. If he refuses, you eject him, too. Go to the next one. Eventually you have a non-confine area with coaches there or you have a suspended game.
  13. Did they just come from a few weeks in Florida? Man. 50 degrees? That's short-sleeve weather this time of year.
  14. Yep. You married up.
  15. 56° with 11mph winds at first pitch. 50° with 13mph winds at game end. I don't know that it was that cold for a hoodie, but if it makes him comfortable, I have no problem with it. How were the other umpires dressed?
  16. As an umpire, I'm giving you the least I need. Anything above that is opening up a window for arguing. If I tell you everything maven said, I've given you six different paths of your argument. Even worse, I'm adding in what I think you saw - that's extra fodder for a coach, especially when he didn't see what I suggested he saw. If I give you my five word response "the tag was in time," then anything else you ask can be summed up, too. "But the tag was high" = "It was in time" "He slid under it" = "No he didn't" "Can you go to your partner?" = "I saw it just fine" or "Not on this" In short, I'm not giving you a play-by-play and anything else you try to question falls under those five words: "the tag was in time". Other than sliding under it, everything else is part of my judgment of the call, and I think I can see a tag from 5-10 feet away.
  17. Check with your local state association for any exceptions to this rule, but the ones posted are typical. South Carolina's slides this year used the phrase "visual confines".
  18. Derailment continued. I agree with @kylehutson on positioning. There are some situations in which I'll stand on the other side, usually when there isn't a lot of space around the backstop and I'm crowding the offensive team area by standing there.
  19. yawetag

    Trackman

    Does the setup include any ongoing costs, such as licenses and repairs? What about any service issues, like calibration or resetting?
  20. It's a perception issue. When you two come together between innings, especially after an inning with some tough/close calls, it gives a perception of discussing the game. Anything overheard will be magnified by those who hear it. If you slow the game down, it puts your ability to control the game in question. Umpires have positions to go to between innings. PU on one side of the plate to watch the pitcher warming up and let the battery and batter know when there's two pitches. BU takes a position between 1B and 2B at the outfield grass.
  21. yawetag

    Trackman

    I'm going to guess this is a public school (or charter school) in a high-income area, a private school, or within a few miles of the Trackman home office.
  22. FIFurtherFY
  23. yawetag

    Trackman

    Just like many of the tracking boxes, I assume this one doesn't adjust to the batter?
  24. The subject specifically says Kansas City.
  25. I was taught by a much-wiser umpire than me to never say more than 5 words on your reply.
×
×
  • Create New...