Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. As a personal rule, I won't work more than two games in a day. Like @kylehutson, I start to see my focus dropping, especially if I'm doing the plate the second game. I had signed on for a triple-header this year, but only because it was timed games and we'd be out in 5-6 hours. Ended up losing the games, though. I would have rather had a third umpire and each of us work 2 games, even if it meant me getting games 1 and 3.
  2. Looks like Hamari got an ejection, too. Maybe we'll get a good view of it (assuming he keeps it in his hand and it's not a normal indicator). Edit: Watching the ejection video on CCS, it looks to be a normal indicator. He does seem to play with it more than other umpires, reminding me of James Joyce and how he spun his indicator between pitches.
  3. Agreed @Thatsnotyou. Other than lineup cards, legally equipped and sportsmanship (Fed games only), ground rules, and any special rules for the games, I tend to keep my mouth shut on anything else at a plate meeting. As BU, I might have said something pertinent to the game (usually clarifying a ground rule) a half-dozen times. The plate meeting isn't a place to discuss the rulebook.
  4. That's been my SWMBO's stance for 13 years. I've never had a year I didn't net positive. Sure, some of those years had very little expenses, but some with the biggest expenses had the biggest net profits. Now, dealing with SWMBO and TWWDHM (Those Who Want Dad Home More) is a topic all on its own.
  5. At this point: "According to the rules, John." I'm not out there to make an instructional on appeals. My responses never said the appeal was going to lead to an out or not, just that he has a way to deal with that missed (or not-retouched) base.
  6. Unless the TD has a rule that's different than the rule book, there's no out penalty for a tossed bat. "That's my rule" as a justification is not only a bad umpire, but an umpire that needs to be set straight. As his partner, I wouldn't say anything at the plate meeting (assuming he's the PU), but I'd definitely say something once the coaches get to their dugouts.
  7. "John, If you feel he missed a base, then you can appeal that when the ball is live." Alternatively: "I can't rule on appeals when the ball is dead, John." Or ask if he's appealing if the rules allow a dead-ball appeal.
  8. As a coach, I wouldn't start the game without clarification on the rule. "That's my rule" doesn't make it a rule.
  9. OK, removing #7 from the situation. I've still got R1 out if his missing first base was appealed. His return (#6-1) isn't a legal retouch for a couple of reasons, one of which is crappy umpiring. And @Tborze was correct that he could be out on an appeal. Pack it up, boys.
  10. Depends on when you notice. Immediately after PU signals it, tell her to stay there. If it's enough time that she's halfway there, then let her dawdle wherever while you talk.
  11. You did it right. I'd call time and tell her to stay on 2B. I'll then talk to my partner and see why he did it. By doing so, you might find he had a different reason for doing so (maybe he called time before the pitch). If not, you give him a chance to combobulate himself and realize the error of his ways. You'll then keep the runner at 2B and he can come up with something if anyone asks him, "I thought the ball fell out of F2's glove" is probably the best one (though it sucks as an excuse). The conference makes the appearance that you didn't override your partner's actions, but that something strange happened and you want to make sure it's handled correctly.
  12. After reading the thread again, I feel like there's confusion on what everyone is referring to and I can see why @Tborze is saying what he is. This is how I now see the situation and @Dynatnt1 can confirm or deny (with a full situation if I'm wrong): R1, less than two outs Line drive to F6, who catches the ball. F6 attempts to throw to F3 while R1 advances to 2B (not knowing the ball was caught). Throw goes OOP. Umpire initially awards R1 two bases and sends him to 3B. R1 advances to 3B without retouching 1B. Coaches argue the award Umpire returns R1 (now R3) to 1B R1 goes back to 1B (no idea on what direction he took to get there - but it really doesn't matter at this point). Umpire changes his mind again and sends R1 BACK to 3B R1 goes back to 3B IF that's the situation, then I've got R1 out on appeal, but ONLY because he didn't retouch on the original award. IF he had originally retouched and then screwed up something during the merry-go-round that occurred, I'm not penalizing him for that. When I first read @Tborze's post and questioned him on his post on Saturday, my understanding was that umpire actions in #5 and #6 were switched and the umpire initially sent him back to 1B and THEN awarded 3B. In that case, @Tborze's "he can still be out on appeal" would have been incorrect. But, because R1 was sent to 3B initially and (seemingly) advanced without retouching, @Tborze's statement was correct - the runner did not retouch during the dead ball so would be out on appeal.
  13. Can you give me a rule cite for this claim?
  14. While @noumpere and @maven answered the question you asked, I want to go a step further: How quickly did you call the infield fly? 40 feet up the 1B line, depending on how high, may not give an infielder time to catch it with "ordinary effort", which is required for an infield fly. You do say "high pop fly", so it's probably a prime IFF situation, but wanted to make sure you understand the different pieces required for it to be called.
  15. I think you're conflating "amateur umpiring" and "career choice".
  16. Can you be more specific here? If the runner is sent back to 1B initially and he touches 1B and then gets awarded 3B, that runner is not liable to be put out on appeal. He retouched his left-too-early base, so there's nothing to appeal.
  17. Then things have changed. My last year working games was 2017 and at the time, the schools contracted with either GSLAU or the assigner (can't remember - it was the first year they had the two split) had the contracts. You then worked as an IC through the association and/or assigner (again can't remember exactly for that year - definitely not the schools). The contracts definitely had wording on pay for canceled games. I can't imagine you're working under personal contracts with each school. That would require you to find a school to contract with and work their games. The purpose of GSLAU (and the independent assigner) was to sign the contracts and supply officials for those games.
  18. Lousy $78 for 2 hours (maybe 3 on a bad day) of work? If you come into officiating as a money-maker, you're going to leave disappointed. Officiating for most of us is a hobby - a way to spend a few hours of an afternoon or evening having fun. There aren't a lot of hobbies that allow someone with a few days of learning it to get guaranteed pay. And those that do require a lot of upfront money as well. In umpiring, you have two paths: (1) Learn, learn, learn. Have your nose in a book when you aren't on the field. Go to optional training courses (sometimes that will cost money, too). When your association has two or three meetings in a week, go to all three. Ask your assigner and veteran officials to coffee or lunch - find out what it will take to move up (also costs money). Work your ass off on these sub-Varsity games. Get noticed, move up, keep working your ass off. The next thing you know, you're getting assigned college (probably JuCo to start, maybe some lower-division) games. Work your ass off. Attend a longer clinic. Keep working your ass off. Now you're working higher-division ball and bringing in some bank for that weekend series - you even get a dressing room! (2) Work more games. Adjust your personal life to have all your evenings and weekends open and whore yourself let local leagues know you're available. Sign up for those 8U travel ball tournaments and work the 6-8 games on Saturday. Sure, the pay is horrible, but once you multiply it by 12 for the two days, it's a lot of money. Sure, you made some excuse to your high school assigner who had that JV game with him available, but that's ok - you've got that freshman game tomorrow with the guy who's been around for 20 years and always works the bases. Which path you choose is up to you. Neither is wrong, but both have different rewards.
  19. Unless GSLAU's contracts have changed, that's a free game fee.
  20. If IFF was called, the only difference is that BR would be out instead of R1. R2 would have been out either way. I know it's an assumption R2 would have left the base either way. But he doesn't even look at an umpire or seem in any way to realize the situation. He saw a dropped fly ball and thought he had to advance because of it.
  21. On the topic of keeping shirts tucked in, I just tuck it between my underwear/strap and compression pants. Holds them well.
  22. yawetag

    Fair or foul

    @JSam21 is correct. If the umpire calls a foul ball, then nothing can change it. I am interested in what a "linesman" is in baseball, though.
  23. No roasting. So awesome. For the organization in St. Louis, I could count on one hand how many female officials we had. In the one here in SC, I haven't seen one at any of our meetings or partnered with me on the field. There's no reason a woman can't officiate any sport. It's time organizations, from your local leagues to the professional ones, made it known.
  24. yawetag

    Who's out???

    Not if that team's down by 1 in the 7th.
  25. yawetag

    Who's out???

    The pointing was the key in my post, not the safe/out signal.
×
×
  • Create New...