Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. If you're missing enough calls that your partner is able to "fix" for you, then you need to get better at making your calls. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone to my partner after a coach asked and I knew I could have missed something (pulled foot most often). Of those times, my partner has had something different than me ONCE. That doesn't mean I don't appease a coach who asks when I know I didn't miss anything and they just want to question my judgment. I've done this many times, but the convo is a lot different to my partner: "Vic, Mark wants me to ask you about that tag at 3B. I had a good view; do you have anything I missed?" I've denied talking to my partner many times over the number I have accepted. If it's a situation where my partner would have been looking at a different priority (touch of a base, fair/foul), I'm definitely not going: "Mark, my partner was on the line for that fair/foul call, so he wouldn't have seen the touch at first." I also won't go on anything where he's parked behind the plate and my call was at second: "Mark, there's no way Vic could see if his hand got in before the tag. He's 130 feet away."
  2. While the two-game suspension was handed down by the state, I'd hope he's no longer on the team.
  3. How quickly do you think we're asking here? It's not like we're yelling it the moment the ball is caught or the tag is applied. If he's got possession of the ball and there's an advancing runner, we're going to see the possession fairly quickly. For me, the asking is when the play is completed and it's obvious nothing else is going to happen, yet I haven't seen the possession yet.
  4. If they keep this up, they might have to start pulling JV umpires to cover MLB games.
  5. If he drops the ball while showing it to me, then he had possession. For the other side: What if he runs all the way into the dugout never taking the ball out of his glove? Then, as the next F9 jogs out there, he picks up the game ball that had landed in a hole in right field. I don't ask as a habit, but have asked and won't hesitate asking.
  6. Doesn't make sense to me either. Purple is Lent, which includes Palm Sunday. But Palm Sunday itself is red. If I wore a purple shirt, I'd look like an eggplant.
  7. I think they have to be a different color than the four uniforms on the field (goalies wear different color). Five different uniform colors - at a minimum.
  8. I do agree on those times. I recently had to get a new debit card from my bank and they said it would be "up to" 2 weeks. Showed up 3 days later.
  9. Also incorporates the Pause, Read, React perfectly, too.
  10. Maybe they just finished officiating a soccer game and forgot a change of shirts.
  11. I nominate this post for U-E's Joke of the Year.
  12. Have you contacted them and asked? It's possible they only run them once a month, or they're having issues with the company sending them out. Maybe they never got your submission or lost it (hard to believe that one, though). Maybe a lot of the work is done manually and that person is out on FMLA. Maybe the card was stolen or lost through the mail. Send Arbiter an email and ask for an update.
  13. Sitting next to Hawk, anyone is good. Looks like ol' Harrelson retired after last year. He gone!
  14. Others have mentioned how it grabs onto their CP or shirt at a longer length. If it's not positioned to protect you, it's just as safe as not having one.
  15. yawetag

    Balk?

    You had me on your side until here. In anything but Fed, you delay any balk award in this situation. The balk isn't really a balk until it flies over F3 (standing away from the base), so we definitely keep it alive and allow runners to advance as far as they want, protecting them only to their next base. In Fed, you kill it immediately and give the one-base award to all runners.
  16. For Hamari, it's a plus. He showed a lot more in hustle and reaction than the missed call would have canceled out. Any evaluator looks at this and praises him for realizing Cuzzi's mistake and covering it. For Cuzzi, it's a negative. He missed his rotation and forced another umpire to cover for him. Looks bad. But, as I said before, this was a strange situation. If I were evaluating, I'd coach Cuzzi on remembering his rotation, but I wouldn't knock them at all for it. If this were something missed on 4-man, sure - but these guys don't work a lot of strict 3-man anymore (Hamari's the most-recent to have done it with any frequency).
  17. I simply say "you can't appeal if the ball is dead".
  18. yawetag

    What's The Call?

    Usenet is that way -----> At least no one is there to disagree with you. On topic: this is one of those weird situations that you have to sell it however you want to call it. I'm on the fence of calling the out, but I'm not going to pull my partner aside to change his call if he had nothing.
  19. yawetag

    Balk?

    @Senor Azul, I don't believe any of us ever argued that wild throw is a balk, but a throw toward a fielder not near the base is. And: I've had a copy since the day the 2016 book was released, as well as several older copies. I don't know what's brought upon the snarky attitude, but if there's something I can do, just let me know. This forum thrives on mutual respect of each other.
  20. yawetag

    Balk?

    He's stating that a wild pitch gives the runners an opportunity to advance past the one-base award they'd get on the balk, just as their own risk. I think the only incorrect statement is that he's trying to apply this to Fed, when you can't. In Fed, it would be immediately dead and runners would only advance the one base, no matter where the ball ends up.
  21. yawetag

    What's The Call?

    I disagree. SECTION 2. The ball becomes dead and base runners return when: e. A fair ball touches a runner in fair territory before touching any infielder including the pitcher or an umpire and before passing an infielder (other than the pitcher) who has a chance to make a play on the ball. The runner who is touched by the fair ball is out, and no other runner may advance or score, except when forced. PENALTY for e.—The ball is dead and the runner hit by the batted ball is declared out. The batter is awarded first base with a single. Remaining runners advance if forced. I think what you're arguing is that it's not a fair ball because it hasn't touched the ground yet. Fair Ball SECTION 27. A legally batted ball that settles on or over fair territory (see 7-6-a-e): d. First touches a player, umpire or any piece of equipment while over fair territory. A batted ball that hits the pitcher's rubber and rebounds untouched to foul territory between first and home or third and home is a foul ball. According to NCAA rules, a ball that first touches a player ... while over fair territory is a fair ball. The ball in OP's situation first touched the batter-runner's (a player) foot while his foot was over fair territory. It would be difficult for a ball to hit a foot in fair territory while said ball was in foul territory. It's the same reason R3 leads off in foul territory. If he's hit by a liner and he's standing completely in foul territory, it's a foul ball. If it hits any part of his body that's in fair territory, it's a fair ball (and he's out).
  22. Diving is the only action that specifically states to supercede OBS.
  23. Not with R1/R2. U2 would be inside and would have no outfield fly ball responsibilities. On this grounder, U2 would watch 2B only.
×
×
  • Create New...