Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. I don't do the commenter's suggestion, but I do what the article mentioned. Even after the first inning, I'll play what I've called "where's the throw?" in my head. I'll watch the release of the infielders' throws and guess where it'll be - too high (F3 has to jump or lets it sail), high (F3 has to reach above his head), perfect (between head and knees), low (knees to ground, but no bounce), or too low (bounced). I'll also try to play left-to-right, but that's a bit more difficult. One thing I do have to remember, especially at lower levels, is that the kids aren't always giving their best efforts during infield. If you do, you're opening yourself up to over-anticipating how the players will play.
  2. Probably the kids of the people involved. It's one more way to make sure the adults don't come around. If parents can't be involved, how's the kid going to get to/from practices and games? As for the sentence, it's not surprising. If you saw the caseload of prosecutors, you'd understand why these incidents get pushed to the side with a plea deal. At the last casino I worked, the gaming agents (highway patrolmen who were trained in all-things casino) were able to secure a prosecutor just for crimes at the casino. So often we would see huge cases get dropped without even charges being filed, as the prosecutors didn't have the time to even care about someone stealing from a casino. With the dedicated prosecutor, we were able to see a huge increase in prosecuted crimes. Plus, she was adamant about making the press aware of them, hoping it would deter others from coming to the casino for an "easy target".
  3. Awesome! As an ex-EMT, I'm a huge proponent of AEDs everywhere and free training for all.
  4. Coupled with this, you'll always hear them say, "Did you see that umpire who kept yelling at the coach?" while screaming in delight when that same coach is "getting his money's worth."
  5. Always. Wear. A. Cup. Always.
  6. Knocking on wood won't help - you're screwed.
  7. I'll admit that I'm not an NCAA umpire and never will be, but.......... On your landing page you have an umpire with backwards heel-toe stance, and an umpire woefully out of position on a play at the plate. Welcome to U-E!
  8. And, in all of my training, you shouldn't change the way you call it in Fed. Still say "That's a balk! TIME!" Some say you should say "TIME! That's a balk!", but then you get confused in an OBR game and do it wrong.
  9. Alt-0176. Don't ask how I know.
  10. I'm interested in the "excluding a rundown" parenthetical. Is that still in effect? If so, what's different between a rundown baseline and a non-rundown baseline? OP's situation is a rundown, so I wonder if Marazzi's statement even applies. Also, in OP, the fielder wasn't moving to tag the runner - he was throwing to another fielder.
  11. Which is why I said they're wrong. Once you modify it, it's no longer correct. And these are the things some umpires read to learn, so their mind connects on the "base paths are determined when a runner begins going toward a base" - and that's the most-wrong you can be.
  12. I agree that it's a correct call. I really think I believe Marisnick's statement that he made a decision to go inside and it just happened that Lucroy was there. I could be wrong, but his actions after the collision and the fact it was a diving collision (not a shoulder-down full-run) leads me to think this was just a mishap.
  13. And they're wrong. A basepath is not established until a tag on the runner is attempted. Simply turning around and heading toward a different base doesn't automatically make a new path.
  14. To avoid a fielder in his vicinity from attempting a tag on him.
  15. Yes, working again. I didn't even notice it was working because I'm so used to it working. Thanks @Umpire in Chief
  16. I wear my wedding ring while telling players not to wear jewelry. Does that lose my credibility? I'm less likely to come into contact with a player than another player is. As for devices being worn for medical reasons, I have absolutely no problem with that.
  17. Over the last few days, I've noticed icons are missing on all the pages. Below is an example, but they're all over. Checked both Firefox and Chrome on this machine - no difference. Oddly enough, though, I don't recall it happening on my work laptop as I was on it today.
  18. Let me rephrase it, then: "I'd argue the primary caller would be the one whose primary responsibility is the status (fair/foul, catch/no catch) of the ball." And I'll add as a response to your question: Yes, there are definitely times BU shouldn't be "watching the ball", just as there are times the PU shouldn't be "watching the ball." You are correct, though, that this isn't one of those times. Both should have some sort of visual of the baseball while keeping their primary responsibilities in view as well. Lastly, to reply to the "is it published anywhere" question. Maybe. But it's such an unusual play that I don't think you'd find it specifically mentioned. You can probably find a mechanics book that deals in a more general statement as I said above. If not, I'll add a "©2019, yawetag. All rights reserved." to the end of it.
  19. FWIW, I didn't consider the mention here as mocking at all, but a show of respect. Maybe I've got different glasses on, though.
  20. yawetag

    New Logo

    I don't remember the 2008 version, but I do recall all the others. I joined in August of 2008, so maybe the 2009 was already in effect? Or I just have horrible memory (which is probably the case).
  21. I'd argue the primary caller would be the one who is watching the ball. In this case, PU has fair/foul on that grounder near F3, so he should be the one making the call. BU can wait a beat or two before making a call, though I'd suggest glancing back to your partner to make sure he's not giving a "that's nothing" signal before killing it.
  22. We could set up a Discord server for the site. There's a section you can have for voice chat. Set up a day and time, see who shows up. We don't even have to record it.
  23. In the time it takes you to watch the slide at 2B, you most likely don't have time to turn your attention to the play at 1B in enough to time to get a good look at a pulled foot.
×
×
  • Create New...