-
Posts
3,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
76
Everything posted by yawetag
-
I think we need to adjust that and say Bauer has Heinie Zimmerman syndrome.
-
@BobUmp this is only a temporary fix, but I was taught this my first year: Imagine you're umpiring the game of the week on ESPN. You want to give enough time between the play and your call for the camera to pan from the play to show your signal. During this second, replay the action in your head and continue to watch continuing action to make sure you have the correct call. Again, it's only temporary, as the pause/read/react should become natural over time.
-
Lowest Common Denominator. Once you start letting officials do what they want, you start getting signals all over the place. I've started volleyball this year. I thought softball was particular with mechanics on signals. Now I'm here trying to memorize how to signal every number from 0 to 99 through some archaic method. Why not just use ASL (where I can signal up to 1000 with one hand)?
-
Fed: Scrap the book and go to NCAA. NCAA: Scrap the DH and follow OBR. Do I need to convince anyone?
-
If you're 100% sure of your call and your partner isn't giving you "let's talk" signal, then stick to your guns.
-
And they'd probably air-mail the ball to center field, causing the runner to take 3B on the error.
-
As @LRZ said, the context is important. Did the kid jump up from the ground and get into the umpire's face? Did he throw his helmet to the ground? Was there a hand motion you didn't see? The comment itself and said in a non-confrontational tone, I'd do as @SavoyBG said: "Nope."
-
The article states the lawsuit was specifically crafted to keep it out of federal court, primarily on the amount in damages sought.
-
As for Puig, he was traded today; rumors were already around before the game that he was being traded. I'm sure the new team will enjoy not having him for several games. I agree that replay should be used to identify participants. I'm sure the video will be used after the fact to determine any additional fines/suspensions for those involved; the crew chief should have the same ability at the time.
-
I agree on the ads, even as a Premium Member. The ones I mentioned above are in places I don't typically look, so they don't detract from my using the site. And if it puts a few cents in your pocket from my visits for the day, that's great. But, I also see the side as a site administrator. Too many ads placed badly will send some people away.
-
In almost every state, good samaritan covers any non-professional (i.e., EMT, firefighter, police officer) in an emergency in which they act as a "normal" person would act. Further, AEDs are even covered to non-trained people who use them, again as long as they're used in good-faith in a way a "normal" person would use them. If you've received any training (such as CPR or AED), your only requirement is to remain within the bounds of your training. Even professional emergency responders are covered when not on-duty. I can't speak for other states, but as an EMT in Missouri, my only requirement when off-duty was to call 911 and report the issue. I had no legal obligation to offer emergency services as a citizen.
-
As a premium member, I'm seeing the following: Homepage: four Google ads one on the top two on the right one on the bottom two Ump-Attire ads one on the right one on the bottom Forum page (i.e., Announcements & Milestones): two Google ads one on the top one on the bottom one Ump-Attire ad at the bottom Topic page (i.e., "1st District behind plate for LL"): one Google ad at the top one Ump-Attire ad at the bottom
-
I don't agree when BU is in B or C. BU is turning with the ball on any fly ball to the outfield - after all, all fly balls to the outfield are BU's unless PU calls him off. PU can't look at his partner (when partner is in B or C) and say "Oh, I see his back - he's got the call." He has to determine if the fielder is moving toward the foul line - which makes it PU's call. Then, PU calls off his partner - the complete opposite to what you and @The Man in Blue has stated. BU has nothing to communicate on fly balls to the outfield when he's in B or C. His assumption is that it's his ball until PU calls him off. Even then, his positioning will still put his back to PU, as he should be lining up the first touch with a runner tagging up.
-
Awesome. I think your field has a great opportunity to appeal to other fields in how they think about AED purchases. The cost may be high, but even saving one life makes it worth it.
-
Runner obstructed at 3B, is awarded Home, but never touches plate
yawetag replied to a question in Ask the Umpire
Both. -
That's the correct mechanic when BU is in A position. In OP's situation, they're in B or C.
-
Each AED unit should have a bag with (or inside) them that contains extra pads, a razor, gloves, and barrier masks. Being your units are outside all the time @Aging_Arbiter (at least, I presume they are, unless they're carried to the field each day), you might want to make sure with the manufacturer of the units and the cases that nothing extra needs to be done insofar as battery replacement or unit replacement. I'm sure there are some "outside" models available now that can withstand the heat and/or cold year-round, but most are made to be kept in a climate-controlled building or vehicle.
-
Runner obstructed at 3B, is awarded Home, but never touches plate
yawetag replied to a question in Ask the Umpire
The delayed dead ball signal in Fed was the dumbest one, too. You had to point, say "That's obstruction!" and then keep your left hand held outward to your side (similar to a WWE wrestler attempting a clothesline) until the end of playing action. It was a glorious day when they removed that from the book (of course, most of us didn't do it). -
Ultimately, if the umpires got together and made a call, then that's how it's going to be called. Mechanics don't dictate whose call prevails. It should dictate who makes the call, but sometimes things go wrong - umpires not knowing the mechanics, umpire forgetting the mechanics, miscommunication between umpires. Ultimately, there should only be ONE call. In this situation, if the PU thinks it's their call, they should pause and look at their partner prior to making the call, making sure he's not coming up with something. I say this because BU in B/C has all fly balls until called off by the PU, so a PU taking a call should (a) let their partner know, and (b) make sure their partner heard them.
-
BTW, with the AEDs having two saves, does it make them the best closers in your league?
-
@noumpere has given the appropriate mechanic on whose call it is. That said, BU has this call until PU calls him off. As BU in this situation, if I don't hear my partner calling me off ("My call, Andrew!" or "That's mine, Andrew!" or "I've got the ball, Andrew!"), it's my call. And, if this situation occurred with me, my partner's getting a nice conversation at our cars afterward.
-
The point before starting the game has been SOP since I've been umpiring. It's one last check to make sure your partner is ready to go. Make eye contact and give the point - then he points back. After that, I'll always glance over to see if my partner is in position before I put the ball in play.
-
I've used NASO for several years now. You get the Referee magazine with it and you're covered for all your sports at all levels. As for the refund from the state, that's a good fight to have. If a portion of your dues directly pays for it, you should be able to get it refunded. It would be interesting to see if PIAA pays a per-official premium or a base premium no matter the number of officials covered.
-
Not every half-inning. As PU, I do it before the top-1st.
