mac266

How to become an NCAA umpire???

It's different from region to region. In general, each conference has a coordinator of officials that maintains their umpire staff. Those coordinators usually will drop some umpires and add some umpires each year. Usually, a great place to meet these coordinators would be at a camp in your region, though not all of them would necessarily be there. I would speak with and get to know college umpires in your area. Start with community college, NAIA and D3. This may not be a great year to find a camp because most of not all of them are likely not happening because of COVID.

I will second @grayhawk's comment. You need to go to a camp that has college coordinators in attendance. I would stay within or close to your region when you are starting out. The umpire net gets smaller and smaller the higher up the ladder that you go, so someone knows someone no matter where you go. I would suggest going to a two umpire camp to begin with as that is what you would be working at most college levels up to D2. Get your foot in the door, be in shape/get in better shape, work hard and show improvement and if you can work, you can advance. 

It really depends on your area and the level you desire.  If D1, definitely need to go to camps, maybe even umpire school.  If just wanting to dabble in lower levels, a couple camps and the right network and you’ll get games obviously assuming you’re competent.  In my area they are often begging guys to work even up to the D2 level, especially mid week games although many areas are not like that.  However, be prepared to travel, often for no compensation. Availability is huge in the college season.  Assignors love guys that have flexible schedules. Since games get rescheduled so much, being able to work games at the drop of the hat (Again mid week) can really help get your foot in the door. 

2 hours ago, zoops said:

It really depends on your area and the level you desire.  If D1, definitely need to go to camps, maybe even umpire school.  If just wanting to dabble in lower levels, a couple camps and the right network and you’ll get games obviously assuming you’re competent.  In my area they are often begging guys to work even up to the D2 level, especially mid week games although many areas are not like that.  However, be prepared to travel, often for no compensation. Availability is huge in the college season.  Assignors love guys that have flexible schedules. Since games get rescheduled so much, being able to work games at the drop of the hat (Again mid week) can really help get your foot in the door. 

The flexibility is key. I've only been working college baseball for 3 years and can't tell you how many times a Friday-Sunday set as turned into a Saturday-Monday or even a Sunday-Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, JSam21 said:

The flexibility is key. I've only been working college baseball for 3 years and can't tell you how many times a Friday-Sunday set as turned into a Saturday-Monday or even a Sunday-Tuesday.

Or even more important? Picking up the phone when the assigner calls and asks you to work a game tomorrow. Or even more so that day.

And you can respond with "I am leaving now!"

There is a saying in umpiring. And college umpiring especially! THE BEST ABILITY, IS AVAILABILITY! 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:13 AM, BT_Blue said:

Or even more important? Picking up the phone when the assigner calls and asks you to work a game tomorrow. Or even more so that day.

And you can respond with "I am leaving now!"

There is a saying in umpiring. And college umpiring especially! THE BEST ABILITY, IS AVAILABILITY! 

That's been the rule at every level I've worked or know about.