The Man in Blue

Handling the heat ... suggestions?

Looking for equipment and uniform suggestions on the best ways to handle the summer heat.  I’m a “rounder” guy who has noticed each summer I am affected a little more than the year before.  I may be looking to upgrade some of my gear, so ... 

Best chest protector to provide the protection you expect but still breathe well in the heat?  I currently use the DaviShield and like the way it fits.  I’ve taken many shots and never been concerned.  I feel as if it doesn’t breathe very well, but I’ve never used anything else to compare it to.

Shinguards?  Again, I use DaviShins currently and like the way they perform.  I don’t have much of a heat issue here, but I’ll ask since we are at it.

Best uniform shirts and pants?  I feel like most of my shirts are too heavy for summer (granted, I’ve been somewhat cheap when buying shirts).  We don’t wear the MLB panel style around here; still the old navy, red and white collar or light blue with the black and white (not MLB style) collar.  I mainly work USA Softball in the summer and really like the weight of their new shirts.

All thoughts appreciated!

Best breathable CP:   Schutt/Adams HDX - no comparison.  It's light and breathes well thanks to all the holes... and it offers hard-shell protection.

In my opinion, all shins are hot, so wear what protects your legs.  You're going to sweat regardless, so you you may as well sweat and be safe, than go lighter and cooler possibly and end up being sore.

Shirts are shirts in my opinion, but the Majestic's and some Smitty's now have ventilation panels that help.  The newer golf-styled pants from Smitty and Gerry Davis are the way to go for breathe-ability and are quick-drying.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Best breathable CP:   Schutt/Adams HDX - no comparison.  It's light and breathes well thanks to all the holes... and it offers hard-shell protection.

In my opinion, all shins are hot, so wear what protects your legs.  You're going to sweat regardless, so you you may as well sweat and be safe, than go lighter and cooler possibly and end up being sore.

Shirts are shirts in my opinion, but the Majestic's and some Smitty's now have ventilation panels that help.  The newer golf-styled pants from Smitty and Gerry Davis are the way to go for breathe-ability and are quick-drying.

I really wish Adams/Schutt made shin guards out of the same mold as their chest protectors. Could you imagine ventilation holes in both the plastic and padding for shin guards? That would be awesome

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, grk17 said:

I really wish Adams/Schutt made shin guards out of the same mold as their chest protectors. Could you imagine ventilation holes in both the plastic and padding for shin guards? That would be awesome

You've gotta send that to them!  Great idea!

4 hours ago, grk17 said:

Actually, they do. The same D3O foam, complete with the holes, are in their shin guards. It just doesn’t have the vent holes to match on the plastic carapace. Their shins are very light and quite protective – they just aren’t as perfect good as the Force3 Ultimates.

Other ways to keep cool? Invest in a wring-and-sling cooling towel. Wet it, wring it out, sling it around a few times in the air (snap it), and then wear it around your neck. It definitely helps. Do not let a colleague or supervisor give you crap for it. They’re not the ones out there calling that game in that heat.

If you’re a a HSM wearer, consider getting a TM. Buy a synthetic black hat and ice/dunk it between innings. If you simply must have a HSM, then consider getting a black doo-rag or head covering that you can ice/dunk between innings and then wear under the HSM.

12 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Actually, they do. The same D3O foam, complete with the holes, are in their shin guards. It just doesn’t have the vent holes to match on the plastic carapace. Their shins are very light and quite protective – they just aren’t as perfect good as the Force3 Ultimates.

Other ways to keep cool? Invest in a wring-and-sling cooling towel. Wet it, wring it out, sling it around a few times in the air (snap it), and then wear it around your neck. It definitely helps. Do not let a colleague or supervisor give you crap for it. They’re not the ones out there calling that game in that heat.

If you’re a a HSM wearer, consider getting a TM. Buy a synthetic black hat and ice/dunk it between innings. If you simply must have a HSM, then consider getting a black doo-rag or head covering that you can ice/dunk between innings and then wear under the HSM.

I would go with an ice bucket of ammonia water of which you can get the formula on the internet to soak the sling in. Also a wash cloth to dip into the bucket squeeze out and to apply to the face and get cold ice water across the wrists. If you can handle it, some pickle juice to drink can help.

Hide some old wet cabbage leaves in the hat if you can do it, like the old Australian guys (Laver, Newcombe, Rosewall, etc.) use to do for tennis matches in the blistering heat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SJA said:

I wear a WV Gold and during 95+ summer heat wear a Tech Vest underneath CP: https://www.zoro.com/techniche-cooling-vest-black-2-to-3-hr-2xl-6626-bk-2xl/i/G7828143/ and also use cooling towels in ICE WATER with "FLORIDA WATER" The combination is excellent!

PS . . . Those are NOT THE PANTS I WEAR FOR GAMES!! . . . for Vest Display ONLY!!

:-)

51m0vAIycxL._SY355_.jpg

Z-rEyuicpEx_.jpg

TKV1.JPG

TKV2.JPG

TKV3.JPG

I had no idea something like this even existed. I’m very intrigued by it. 

57 minutes ago, grk17 said:

I had no idea something like this even existed. I’m very intrigued by it. 

Believe, or maybe I should say, if they are smart; every MLBU dressing room should have one ice vest hanging up, just in case.

Here's 2 more pics. These "cooling packs" are a special liquid that you freeze and can refreeze as many times as you want and they go inside pouches INSIDE the vest. This vest & packs are sold & shipped in a special freeze bag so you can transport the vest and packs and they will remain frozen. I've had this vest keep my body temp to approx. 76 > 79 degrees for 2 > 2 1/2 hours in 95+ heat.

This pic shows the side view and there's no extra bulk as far as I'm concerned. 

TVK5.jpg

TKV4.JPG

On 6/1/2019 at 5:18 PM, SJA said:

I've had this vest keep my body temp to approx. 76 > 79 degrees

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that's not true, since you would be dead.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352682

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SJA said:

Sorry, didn't mean body temp, meant "Air temp" inside vest.

One more question. Is there a hazard that when the frozen packs warm up after a few hours that the vest is counterproductive by holding your body heat in? I’m just picturing a long extra inning game on a hot summer day where the vest loses its cooling power

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that's not true, since you would be dead.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352682

Well played, sir.  Well played.

I did order the Schutt/Adams HDX.  Hibbett had it for $69 and I had a $10 off coupon.  For that price, I’ll give it a try!

Honestly, if it weren’t for the comments here, I wouldn’t have given it a second look based on the lower-than-most price point and the look (it doesn’t look very light in the pictures).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grk17 said:

One more question. Is there a hazard that when the frozen packs warm up after a few hours that the vest is counterproductive by holding your body heat in? I’m just picturing a long extra inning game on a hot summer day where the vest loses its cooling power

Not to my knowledge, You'd have to contact the company ref that question :-)

On 6/6/2019 at 5:49 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Honestly, if it weren’t for the comments here, I wouldn’t have given it a second look based on the lower-than-most price point and the look (it doesn’t look very light in the pictures).

That's funny since the Schutt and Adam's protectors have been the one of the hottest topics on these forums for over two years. 

• Like 1

I’m new!  :cheers:

So it arrived Friday night, but I didn’t get home until late.  It went to the ballpark on Saturday still in the shipping box.  Seven game schedule with one break in there.

Bases the first two games.  Then I wore my DaviShield the first game behind the plate to set a baseline reference point for the day.  It wasn’t terribly hot, but I was sweaty enough underneath.  We had a run rule game, so that gave me some extra time to break out the new Schutt and get it adjusted (with a dry t-shirt for reference).

The extension and bicep guards went right away.  After that, it was game time.  Wore the Schutt for the next game; had a round off, and then wore it for two more.

I can say I could feel the heat venting out during the games.  I sweated, but I don’t think I was as sweaty as the first game.

I did not like the inflexibility of it though.  I was having a tough time raising my arms all the way.  I could feel the piece “resisting” the movement, but I’m not sure exactly where/what the culprit was.  I need to put it on and view my motion in a mirror.

I didn’t take a shot in it, so I don’t have any input there.  I’m comfortable in believing it offers plenty of protection though.

I’ll give it a few more tries to see if I can get used to it.  I prefer the flexibility and lower profile of my existing CP, but I am appreciative of the ventilation in the Schutt.

3 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’m new!  :cheers:

So it arrived Friday night, but I didn’t get home until late.  It went to the ballpark on Saturday still in the shipping box.  Seven game schedule with one break in there.

Bases the first two games.  Then I wore my DaviShield the first game behind the plate to set a baseline reference point for the day.  It wasn’t terribly hot, but I was sweaty enough underneath.  We had a run rule game, so that gave me some extra time to break out the new Schutt and get it adjusted (with a dry t-shirt for reference).

The extension and bicep guards went right away.  After that, it was game time.  Wore the Schutt for the next game; had a round off, and then wore it for two more.

I can say I could feel the heat venting out during the games.  I sweated, but I don’t think I was as sweaty as the first game.

I did not like the inflexibility of it though.  I was having a tough time raising my arms all the way.  I could feel the piece “resisting” the movement, but I’m not sure exactly where/what the culprit was.  I need to put it on and view my motion in a mirror.

I didn’t take a shot in it, so I don’t have any input there.  I’m comfortable in believing it offers plenty of protection though.

I’ll give it a few more tries to see if I can get used to it.  I prefer the flexibility and lower profile of my existing CP, but I am appreciative of the ventilation in the Schutt.

Just give it some time to mold to you. Take a heat gun and mold that plastic. Also, be sure to move the shoulders around so that they protect but also allow for movement. I played around with the positioning of the shoulder caps on mine in front of my mirror for quite some time until I got them just right. 

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

The extension and bicep guards went right away

You should give them a try. They've saved me significant pain many times this season. 

I don’t object to bicep guards (I have them on my current CP) ... the fit was all wrong.  I will try to adjust and get them to work, I was just in a bit of a hurry for that first trial run.

Sigh did research on this way too late just ordered one of those vests.. hoping it makes it before next weeks tourneys doubting I will get it next week at all though.

Damn should have looked here earlier.

Before the company featured in this story went out of business, they allowed me to wear the exact cool vest shown in the picture when they came to a stadium at which I was working.  It was over 110-degrees on the field with unbearable humidity, but I felt great!  I definitely would recommend a cool vest under the chest protector for the hottest of days.

https://www.onlineathens.com/article/20120615/SPORTS/306159976

I wish I had an update to post on the Schutt ... all I can tell you is my son likes it.  I told him to try it and I never got back.

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon, I used the https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Cooling-Products-Recovery/6587-uCOOLTWL_McDavid-Ultra-Cooling-Towel-with-Infused-Copper once during the game and wrapped my head and neck with it after.  It did a tremendous job in cooling me down during & after the game..  I have not used the https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Cooling-Products-Recovery/KB-CHEST_KoolBlues-Umpire-Chest-Protector-Cooling-System yet, but have it ready for a tournament I'm doing the first week of August.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally I just browse the site, and don't post much (I need to change that), but I figured I would chime in here with my 2 cents. I had 6 plates in the 92° heat on Saturday, which I will never do again. However, the only issue I had with feeling overheated was my legs from my shin guards. I'm only 15, so I have all my tips and tricks for staying warm during the cold HS season for us Ohio guys. I'm a big advocate for a company called Frostgear. Small company ran by a firefighter, and I love their cold weather gear. It made a big difference in warmth for me. This summer, the released a heat management line, and I decided to buy a compression shirt to hopefully stay cool during my plates. I can't stress enough how much I like them. I wore it as my shirt underneath my CP, and haven't had an issue yet. 

And for those who wondered why I worked 6 plates in one day (14 total over the 3 day tournament), I figured since this was a rec ball tourny, I'd be able to take it, as I'm younger and usually don't have an issue with it. Well, I've learned my lesson. No more than 3 plates in a row, ever again.