Batting around

jms1425
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1790 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Which of these constitutes "batting around"?

A. B1 thru B9 all hit in the inning, with B9 being the last hitter of the inning

B. B1 thru B9 all hit, then B1 comes up again and is the last hitter of the inning

C. both of the above

A beer and a cigar may be on the line here.....  ;)

4 hours ago, jms1425 said:

Which of these constitutes "batting around"?

A. B1 thru B9 all hit in the inning, with B9 being the last hitter of the inning

B. B1 thru B9 all hit, then B1 comes up again and is the last hitter of the inning

C. both of the above

A beer and a cigar may be on the line here.....  ;)

A. Everyone batted.

Using the term "batting around" could be loosely translated to the difference in an umpire saying "dropped 3rd strike" versus "an uncaught 3rd strike".  The term is relative to who used it (probably from hearing it while growing up), and what THEY meant..........

As stated, it could be either.   There's even a third option - B1 comes to the plate a second time, but doesn't necessarily complete his plate appearance (ie. the difference between the inning ending with B9's at bat, or during B1's second at bat)

For me, I want to see the leadoff hitter complete a second plate appearance in the inning before saying they batted around - I want to see the scoresheet get screwed up and you have to use two columns for the same inning, and change the inning numbers at the top.

Though MLB lacks an official batting-around definition, it does have an official historian, John Thorn. “The derivation of many of our baseball terms is cloaked in fog,” said Thorn.

But Thorn believes he has the answer. He said in a recent interview that the phrase batting around “almost certainly” comes from a game that was a precursor to baseball called town ball, which was played in North America in the 18th and 19th centuries.

In this cricket-like game, an entire side batted before an inning was over. In at least one variation, Thorn said, there was an added stipulation: If the last player in the order hit a home run, the entire lineup would bat again—or “bat around.”

Based on that history, the answer should be 10. “It’s what makes sense,” Thorn said.

And if the above doesn't do it for ya, look below.

'But Vin Scully, the legendary broadcaster who has been calling Dodgers games since 1950, disagrees. A team spokesman said that Scully belongs to Team 10, because “the term ‘around’ implies that you’re back to the top.”'

From the Wall Street Journal’s Jared Diamond comes a surprisingly perplexing question: what constitutes “batting around” in baseball? To me, it’s quite obvious that batting around refers to the player that led off the inning coming back up to the plate again. When the ninth batter comes to the plate you’ve gone through the order once in the inning; when the tenth batter comes to the plate you have batted around.

Diamond talked to everybody he could think of in search of a definitive answer. Wikipedia says ten, Wiktionary says nine. Vin Scully says ten, Mets radio play-by-play man Howie Rose says nine. Both Elias Status Bureau and Stats LLC says it only takes nine batters, but Stats noted this is an unofficial definition.

Here’s what it says in Wikipedia--

According to The Dickson Baseball Dictionary, a team has "batted around" when each of the nine batters in the team's lineup has made a plate appearance, and the first batter is coming up again during a single inning. Dictionary.com, however, defines "bat around" as "to have every player in the lineup take a turn at bat during a single inning." It is not an official statistic. Opinions differ as to whether nine batters must get an at-bat, or if the opening batter must bat again for "batting around" to have occurred.

15 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

From the Wall Street Journal’s Jared Diamond comes a surprisingly perplexing question

I had to read that several times before realizing "Jared Diamond" is a person and not some advertisement for a jeweler.

It can't be this hard.   If all players go to the plate once in the same inning, and the first batter's slot is due back up again, then they've batted around and he doesn't get another turn this inning. 

Why would you let the first guy hit twice, but no one else? 

17 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

The term is relative to who used it (probably from hearing it while growing up), and what THEY meant..........

Sounds like whatever the reference is............. I would still apply the above staetment

batting around, to me, has always meant that the first batter in the inning has come back up to bat within that same inning......thus, batting around would mean "starting over" .....

So for me, batting around is 10 .........

14 minutes ago, noumpere said:

When you "buy a round" do you get one drink for everyone, or does the first person get two drinks?  Why would "batting a round" be any different?  ;)

When you spin the wheel on "The Price is Right", it has to go "around" once. It starts at 100 so it has to get back to at least 100 for a complete rotation:beerbang

40 minutes ago, noumpere said:

When you "buy a round" do you get one drink for everyone, or does the first person get two drinks?  Why would "batting a round" be any different?  ;)

@noumpere.........this first step is admitting you have a problem.........

:sarcasm:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

When you "buy a round" do you get one drink for everyone, or does the first person get two drinks?

When I'm the first person, yes.

• Haha 1