"Ballgame"

noumpere
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2541 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In a recently closed thread, someone indicated that s/he called, "ballgame" when the game was over.  Another person asked, "Why?" and received the answer, " It's in the back of all the code's umpire manuals under signals. "game" hands up. "

IF (and I admit it's a big IF) we can discuss it without flaming -- is it really in the back of the books?  Is it written somewhere to call, "ballgame?"  I don't recall it ever being there in the years I umpired, and it was trained to NOT do it.  So, I am wondering what rules code / mechanics book has it?

I'll call ballgame, or something similar, honestly not sure what I say, in a game that is using a time limit. If not I usually just walk off the field. most of the time everyone knows when the game is over. I guess if there is some situation where it might be confusing, like a game ending in 5 due to weather, where  I might call ball game, but aside from a time limit game and some odd situation don't, it's just kinda pointless.

If I do it's not loud and no hand motions with it, it more just to let coaches and my partner know that times out.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

In a recently closed thread, someone indicated that s/he called, "ballgame" when the game was over.  Another person asked, "Why?" and received the answer, " It's in the back of all the code's umpire manuals under signals. "game" hands up. "

IF (and I admit it's a big IF) we can discuss it without flaming -- is it really in the back of the books?  Is it written somewhere to call, "ballgame?"  I don't recall it ever being there in the years I umpired, and it was trained to NOT do it.  So, I am wondering what rules code / mechanics book has it?

I left the sarcasm emogi out.

Back in the '80s the league I started umpiring for had a Director of Umpiring who was an old SAL league umpire from the 50's. He would prowl the complex every night looking for umpire violators of his pet mechanics. One was the Plate Umpire had to point to the plate after each run scored...and verbalize "score 1. score 2" ........the other was at the end of the game he wanted to see you cross your arms in an X fashion and say "ballgame"!

He was a great guy, great rules guy and lots of fun to talk to........ and the stories about the Sally League in the '50s?..........worth every penny of the $9 base/ $10 plate fee we got. I pressed him on these mechanics and found out that the "pointing to the plate" was to communicate/ confirm with the official scorekeeper in the pressbox ( regardless of the fact this complex only had one pressbox  and it was on the '90 ft field)

The crossed arms and saying "ballgame"....made less sense, "How else would everyone know the game is officially over?"..........( I figured the scoreboard, the fact the players ran off the field, the announcer etc.) But he would have none of it.........."NOTHING HAPPENS UNLESS THE UMPIRE SAYS IT DOES" he'd holler at us.....

Hey, I liked my $10 a game.........so when in Rome........        

• Like 1

The only time I have ever called "Ballgame" was after a discussion with my partner on a game ending FPSR violation.

Long story short, after getting together and deciding that a violation did in fact occur, pointed at the runner at second declared him out and the same for B/R at first followed by "Game Over."

THEN the fun REALLY began...

The signal I use is roll the balls to the home team and walk to the gate.

If we are cancelling due to weather, we tell the coaches in a short meeting, so no signal needed.

I have never seen or heard of a signal in the books.

I have one partner that we will signal by giving the 2 outs signal and point towards the gate when we are down to the last out. This is real subtle and just between us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

I left the sarcasm emogi out.

Thank you.  I withdraw the question.  Without specifically applying this to the person in the other thread who used the mechanic, I think there is a correlation between using it and being a smitty.  I do recognize the "when in Rome" concept as well.

2 hours ago, Stan W. said:

.."NOTHING HAPPENS UNLESS THE UMPIRE SAYS IT DOES" he'd holler at us.....

I always figured that if I saw the umpire leave the field, go to the parking lot, open his trunk, and crack a beer that that was his "ballgame" mechanic.

• Like 1

I always figured that if I saw the umpire leave the field, go to the parking lot, open his trunk, and crack a beer that that was his "ballgame" mechanic.

Top of the beerth inning...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Is your last name Boru?

I think closing time in English pubs is also indicated that way. 

It used to be.   Got to admire anyone who knows some Irish history.

And you're right. ... the Irish pubs usually SAY they're closing, but then go "after hours ".  

I have only vocalized the end of a game once; and I did not say "ballgame" or make an "X".  

I had a college coach pull a team off the field.  I warned him once that if he didn't put his team back on the field I was going to declare a forfeit.  He said, "go ahead," and refused to put his team back on the field.  I banged the game (I believe my exact words were, "fine, I get paid a full game fee either way!  We're done!" (I couldn't help being sarcastic.) I then turned to the press box and made the no run signal and walked off the field.)  All of this was over a check swing "ball" call (he believed the batter swung) on a 1-1 pitch to the lead-off batter in the sixth inning.  (I was the plate umpire.  F1 threw a fastball that F2 never got a glove on (he called for a curveball) and hit me flush in the mask.  Of course, being the upstanding group of people that this team was...they started yelling "check, check, check" and could give two f*cks that I had just taken a pitch flush to the mask. Anyways, my partner (a former AAA umpire) ruled that he did not swing.)  Up to that point, the game had been like being in church...not a peep from anyone about anything.  This team was winning by several runs, too. Anyways, he had a long suspension as a result of his actions.  Only forfeit I have ever had at any level.  (P.S. I had absolutely no negative consequences to my career as a result of declaring a forfeit.)

• Like 2