New Balance Plate Shoes

BrianC14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2234 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just placed an order for the New Balance MU460 plate shoes.   I thought sure that I could squeeze another season out of the original NB 450s, but it's just not possible, as my toes are still swollen 24 hours later from yesterday's game.  

As information, I ordered from www.ump-attire.com and I will be happy to report back with my review, both here and at Ump-Attire.  Looking forward to some comfort !

They're he-e-e-re !

Thanks to the good folks at www.ump-attire.com for the rapid shipment.  The shoes arrived yesterday in fine shape.

A few items to note, with the caveat that I have yet to work a game in them:

* COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE.   

* The tops of the toes has an appearance that is almost like an orange peel.   

* The shoes have a nice high polish shine to them.   I'm now wondering what the optimum cleaning & shining method(s) are.  The original NB 460 was very receptive to the Scrubbing Bubbles and Aqua Net hair spray method.   Anyone that has these, any thoughts on cleaning and shining?

* As I removed them from the box, I got a great laugh when I first inspected the soles..... see the pic below.   Nice touch, New Balance !   

* The sole also is very cleverly designed with miniature home plates.   

* The laces are way longer than they need to be.   That will be addressed with scissors and a Zippo lighter.

* I remain concerned about how dust may collect (and thus need cleaning) in the areas that are nylon.  

* Did I mention they are incredibly comfortable?  

More later...  

NB Shoe.jpg

1 hour ago, BrianC14 said:

They're he-e-e-re !

Thanks to the good folks at www.ump-attire.com for the rapid shipment.  The shoes arrived yesterday in fine shape.

A few items to note, with the caveat that I have yet to work a game in them:

* COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE.   

* The tops of the toes has an appearance that is almost like an orange peel.   

* The shoes have a nice high polish shine to them.   I'm now wondering what the optimum cleaning & shining method(s) are.  The original NB 460 was very receptive to the Scrubbing Bubbles and Aqua Net hair spray method.   Anyone that has these, any thoughts on cleaning and shining?

* As I removed them from the box, I got a great laugh when I first inspected the soles..... see the pic below.   Nice touch, New Balance !   

* The sole also is very cleverly designed with miniature home plates.   

* The laces are way longer than they need to be.   That will be addressed with scissors and a Zippo lighter.

* I remain concerned about how dust may collect (and thus need cleaning) in the areas that are nylon.  

* Did I mention they are incredibly comfortable?  

More later...  

NB Shoe.jpg

Just spray them off in the sink.  Then use a nylon brush and hot soapy water to do the rest.  I clean the mesh about every two weeks.  They have shined up nicely so far.

1 hour ago, kylehutson said:

No need to cut the laces, Just lace them like this.

Nice.  Just tried this, and while it doesn't take up a whole lot of the lace, it does provide a snug fit at the top of the shoe, and there's less movement (almost none) in the heel.  Once I did this and double knotted, the rest of the lacing (bows and bitter ends) are easily tucked away under the meta plate.   Thanks for the tip !

And further....

We had some light rain just prior to the start, so the grass was a bit wet,along with the dirt, which wasn't muddy,  just damp.  Absolutely no problems with slipping.  The shoes performed incredibly well. 

Cleaning was a snap, just a quick spray with water.  My kit includes a spray bottle with plain water and a large cotton hand towel.

Wish I had bought these back in February, but glad to have them now. 

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Re-opening this old topic about the New Balance 460v3 plate shoes.

I'm considering these as new plate shoes - but I'm very concerned about the large areas of mesh/cloth fabric on the shoe being very difficult to keep clean or that they's require brushing & washing after each game....(if brushing is constantly required - seems that the mesh/cloth fabric would be damaged or deteriorate after awhile).

Now that these have been in play for more than a full season - what's been your experience with the V3 (quality, field performance, cleaning).

Maybe the previous 460v1 (v2?) plate shoes were better in some aspects?

thanks,

Jeff

They are much more comfortable than the previous model.

Your concern about the mesh is legitimate. For the most part, I was able to keep it clean. However, when I went to Cooperstown, the clay badly stained the mesh on my plate and base shoes. The good thing about the plate shoes it that the mesh is almost completely covered by the padding. I was only able to get the stain out of the mesh by putting the shoes in the washing machine.

thanks for the input.

what about the 3n2 patent leather low-cut plate shoes - any thoughts?

Apparently these 3N2 shoes only come in D width - I'm typically wide (2E) - would these 3N2 shoes still be suitable...or size up?

thanks,

Jeff

On 2/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, JeBa said:

thanks for the input.

what about the 3n2 patent leather low-cut plate shoes - any thoughts?

Apparently these 3N2 shoes only come in D width - I'm typically wide (2E) - would these 3N2 shoes still be suitable...or size up?

thanks,

Jeff

That's exactly what I did with my old Reeboks. Normally wear 11.5 wide. Went to a 12 and worked for me. YMMV