Need new plate shoes

HuskerUmp22
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2614 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I currently own last year's New Balance (MU 460's) shoes for the plate and I don't like how they fit. I also can't run very well in them.

I'm just getting into college ball and I'm wondering if the 3N2 low cut plate shoes will work? I like the fact that they are lightweight and look like they are easier to get around in then the New Balance shoes. Do any college guys use the 3N2 shoes and if so, do they provide quality protection?

Speaking of plate shoes, I don't know if it is ok to post the website, but I found a place that has the New Balance 460's from last year for $75. They have a lot of wider sizes as well for guys that need a wide shoe. 

If its ok to post the site I will. If not, feel free to PM me. I typically wear a 11 and went with a 11.5EE and have worked great the past few games I've used them in!! 

34 minutes ago, MPLSUMP said:

Get the new style New Balance. Superior shoe. 

+1

I had the 3N2's for the second half of last season as my NB's came apart at the metatarsal plate. While I liked the light weight, I didn't think they offered good protection. The toe is made of some composite material that isn't as good as the steel toe in the NB's, which means you feel any foul ball quite a bit. In the fall I do a lot of men's rec on weekends and I can say I felt shots to my shoes that I didn't with the NB's. Also, the metatarsal plate on the NB's covers more of the sides of your food whereas the 3N2's don't. I also took a few shots to the side of the shoes and man oh man they didn't feel good. As a beginner shoe for guys who do rec up to 12u, they're fine, but for any upper level HS or college, like you are doing,I'd definitely go with the NB's as the 3N2's will not offer you adaquate protection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPLSUMP said:

Get the new style New Balance. Superior shoe. 

If cost wasn't an issue, this would be right; the MU460v3's are the best plate shoe on the market.

But there is the reality, @HuskerUmp22, that we might not have $150 to throw on to a new pair. We might have $70-$80, so as to get us by until the multiple game paydays start rolling in, and just need something of good reliable quality.

That's where the 3N2 Reaction plate shoes really stand out. They're lighter than the MU460's, giving you better mobility. The metatarsal guard uses a carbon-fiber panel instead of a heavier, denser plastic. The only thing off-putting on the 3N2's is the outsole (tread) and the lack of a "household" name. The tread looks like it belongs on a road gravel grater. Despite this, they're still comfortable, still nimble, and still protective enough to go into Minor League -speed baseball with (at least... kinda can't test them in the Bigs).

3 minutes ago, MadMax said:

If cost wasn't an issue, this would be right; the MU460v3's are the best plate shoe on the market.

But there is the reality, @HuskerUmp22, that we might not have $150 to throw on to a new pair. We might have $70-$80, so as to get us by until the multiple game paydays start rolling in, and just need something of good reliable quality.

That's where the 3N2 Reaction plate shoes really stand out. They're lighter than the MU460's, giving you better mobility. The metatarsal guard uses a carbon-fiber panel instead of a heavier, denser plastic. The only thing off-putting on the 3N2's is the outsole (tread) and the lack of a "household" name. The tread looks like it belongs on a road gravel grater. Despite this, they're still comfortable, still nimble, and still protective enough to go into Minor League -speed baseball with (at least... kinda can't test them in the Bigs).

Thanks MadMax. Money isn't the biggest issue for me. I'd be willing to pay a few extra for the NB's if they were worth it, but I've had several pair of NB plate shoes and they've always been too big for me. The biggest issue is I can't run very well in them. Maybe I need to go to some type of sporting goods store that has umpire stuff and try a few on to get the right size. If the 3N2's can give me protection I'd be willing to try them out especially if I can run well in them. I just returned from umpire school and one thing I realized - I have to move a lot in the 2 man system as the plate guy! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HuskerUmp22 said:

Thanks MadMax. Money isn't the biggest issue for me. I'd be willing to pay a few extra for the NB's if they were worth it, but I've had several pair of NB plate shoes and they've always been too big for me. The biggest issue is I can't run very well in them. Maybe I need to go to some type of sporting goods store that has umpire stuff and try a few on to get the right size. If the 3N2's can give me protection I'd be willing to try them out especially if I can run well in them. I just returned from umpire school and one thing I realized - I have to move a lot in the 2 man system as the plate guy! 

Try the low cuts for the NBs

• Like 2

That being said, @HuskerUmp22, I will be getting the NB MU460v3's (in Lows, of course) very very soon, after I get the $150 breathing room to do so. I have no doubts they will be exactly what I need them to be. Reports are they are lighter than their Original predecessors; that's great, and appreciated, but I'm going to favor the Low cut profile, the conforming metatarsal guard, and especially how said guard is attached, with a heavily machined primary stitch instead of that doubled-back strap.

The MU460's utterly failed me, and really hampered my mobility. They got heavy, the original footbeds disintegrated and the inner liner around the heel / ankle shredded. They got heavy. The constant cleanings and repetition of being damp (from sweat and water) weakened the outer sidewalls at the "hinge" point of the foot, and split. The Mid-cut profile really chafed the insides of my Force3 Ultimate shinguards, and they in turn wore down the upper material on the shoe. They got heavy, and didn't breathe well at all. Felt like I was walking in a swamp after 2-3 games behind the plate, and there was no way I was putting them back on after taking them off. The metatarsal guard strap began to delaminate and separate from the guard, leaving it fairly floppy. Oh, did I mention they got really heavy??!

My 3N2's will likely get sold to a fellow umpire, or will end up being used on games where I don't want my 460v3's getting beat up, like some of the quarries sandtraps mudpits ballfields can get around here. Phoenix ballparks are great, but they're not all perfect. ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HuskerUmp22 said:
  1. I currently own last year's New Balance (MU 460's) shoes for the plate and I don't like how they fit. I also can't run very well in them.
  2. I'm just getting into college ball and I'm wondering if the 3N2 low cut plate shoes will work? I like the fact that they are lightweight and look like they are easier to get around in then the New Balance shoes. Do any college guys use the 3N2 shoes and if so, do they provide quality protection?
  1. This year's NB
  2. Reebok non-zigs
  3. Reebok Zigs
  4. Older New Balances
  5. 3n2

That's how I'd rank them as far as overall balance of protection, comfort, and lightweight-i-ness.

• Like 2

I just opened the box I received from Ump-Attire that contained my new v3 lows. I am pretty impressed. I will be trying them on tomorrow so that I may head to my recommended seamstress with my Davis-by-Fechheimer and, more than likely, my new Polydex pants to be hemmed.

They are a bit heavier than I expected compared to my Reebok Zigs. But the shine on  them is almost blinding (in a good way.)

I have very high hopes!

15 hours ago, HuskerUmp22 said:

Maybe I need to go to some type of sporting goods store that has umpire stuff and try a few on to get the right size. 

Finding a local sporting goods store that has umpire plate shoes is not possible for most. It is why we are offering free returns on shoes as a way to alleviate this issue for you if you were not aware.

Order 2 pair in different sizes or the 3n2 and the NB, then send back the pair that you don't want...on our dime.

So yes, try them on locally...in your home.

• Like 6

I ordered a size 12 EE from UA which is my normal shoe size. Shoe was too big and had to return for the 11.5 EE shoe. The free return is great. Take advantage of it! I think the biggest improvement of the NB shoe is that interior "sock". Really seems to form to your foot. 

• Like 1

I went to a local New Balance store to see  if they had the MU460v3 shoe (just to try on) - of course they don't stock it.

But they suggested trying on a pair of the New Balance #627 steel toe work shoe to verify size & fit, to be able to order online.

If they're right, based on the comfortable fit of that shoe, the MU460v3 size should match my normal work shoe or New Balance running shoes,  size 11 - 2E width.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should splurge on new plate shoes.

1 hour ago, jkumpire said:

We really need another manufacturer of plate shoes.

Agreed. Feel like the new versions we have of the NB plate shoes are in direct correlation to the popularity of the Reebok plate shoes. Competition breeds innovation. 

The V3 shoes are great shoes. Hopefully we can get another company in the mix (hello Under Armour, looking right at your new MLB contract) that will just continue helping us get newer and better things.

7 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I'm trying to get Nike to listen ....but so far ....nope

You're not going to.

Nike isn't anywhere near in trouble, but there have been two things going on that are "of concern" to them, taking any attention they would potentially give to us (as umpires) away.

The first is in basketball and the rise of Chinese brands courting and securing NBA talent to signature lines of their own. The Chinese have no scruples about outright copying – this we know – but if they are copying and altering and re-marketing these shoe models for other marquee talent, that's a problem. Klay Thompson is the best example... plays alongside two of the biggest superstars in the modern NBA. Curry is with UA, and Durant is with Nike, while Klay is with Anta, one of these new Chinese startups. Because of the unique way China treats international claims of copyright, and Anta being a Chinese company, Anta can actually cherry-pick KD styles, throw an Anta logo on in lieu of the Swoosh, and even include KD in shots of Klay in their marketing materials, and sell like crazy to the Chinese market.

The other major concern – and this is more relevant to us in baseball – is the withering of the Nike brand in golf, specifically the Tiger Woods line. Nike went all-in with Tiger, and produced the entire, exhaustive range of gear, apparel and footwear options for golf. It was a monster. With the new breed of players all gunning for Tiger, the gear rivals – Titleist, Ping, Taylor Made – all landed these new players in sponsorships and started gunning for Nike. Rory McIlroy has just not been able to match the monster presence that Tiger was. Even Tiger, trying to recapture his magic, has abandoned Nike clubs. This has Nike very much disturbed because the production of Nike hardgoods – in this case, the clubs – is very complex and has very little profit margin, if anything. Golf enthusiasts may be loyal to a brand in soft goods, but they are very, very fickle in hard goods because if a player is showing success with this particular putter or that wedge or that driver, they go rushing out to get it and at least try it. Because Rory isn't exactly dominating the circuit, and now with Tiger eschewing Nike clubs, there is no reason for any golfer to get Nike golf hardgoods.

This translates to baseball because plate shoes, despite being footwear, are considered protective gear – a hardgood. Nike is having a hard enough time fending off rivals in catchers gear, and the gear environment is eerily similar to golf.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I'm trying to get Nike to listen ....but so far ....nope

@Thunderheads and @JimKirk Since an umpire's biggest supporter is Smitty and Jim you definitely have the connection and the ear of Smitty, how about seeing if they would be interested in having an umpire shoe designed and made? As a company they own the lions share percentage of the officals uniform market. I think it would be a darn good fit and excellent marketing move. I imagine that the baseball and basketball officials market could be well worth the effort. 

• Like 3

Frankly,

If I had money and time I would find the perfect shoe to throw into the market, if the lasts still existed. It would need some updating but I think it would be a better shoe than any one the market.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

FWIW @MadMax , Nike actually stopped producing golf clubs. They still do apparel (Jason Day), and have made that their primary golf focus, but no more clubs. Which is a shame, because they actually made some pretty solid clubs. Just a bit pricey. 

A bit pricey. Just like their titanium and steel masks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...