no hitter

Guest john
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2954 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Does a pitcher get credit for a no-hitter if he is not involved in a play where an out is recorded? example...pitcher walks a batter who is picked off at first by the catcher? 

I think what you are asking about is what is called a combined no-hitter. And the answer to your question is “Yes!” In fact, the answer involves the most famous baseball player of all time—Babe Ruth.

In a game he started on June 23, 1917, he walked the first batter he faced and immediately got into an argument with the plate umpire and ended up being ejected. A relief pitcher, ErnieShore, came in and the inherited runner was caught stealing. Shore went on to retire all 26 batters he faced to complete what originally was called a perfect game and now is simply a combined no-hitter—the only one in MLB history where one of the pitchers was not involved in any of the outs recorded.

A perfect game is a special case of a no-hitter where nobody safely reaches first base by a hit, error,  or dropped third strike, nor is awarded first base on a walk, nor being hit by a pitched ball.

A perfect game with 27 batters being retired on 81 consecutive strikes has never been recorded (though a few pitchers have had no-hitters on extremely low pitch counts), but will need a new name - perhaps a "superfect" game?

There is rumor that a girl pitched 6 innings with 18 strikeouts on 54 pitches in fast-pitch softball. I'm looking in to that. A few foul balls may have gone for strikes, but I do not yet know for sure.

On May 2nd, 1917, James "Hippo" Vaughn of the Chicago Cubs won a game that went 9 innings with no hits at all - he and Fred Toney of the Cincinnatti Reds were both throwing no-hitters until in the top of the 10th, Larry Knopf singled and was driven home on a hit by Jim Thorpe. Hippo held on with a hitless bottom of the 10th to win it. Baseball's first and only, so far, "double no-hittter".

Hippo Vaughn is credited with a no-hitter, Fred Toney is credited with a 2-hitter, even though he threw 9 innings of no-hit ball.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:15 PM, udbrky said:

Is a walk a hit?

He does not give up a hit, it's a no hitter.

If Offense commits 10 errors, but no hits, it's a no-hitter.

If pitcher walks 9, it's a no-hitter.

I didn't ask if it was a no-hitter....the question is..was the pitcher credited with a no-hit game...

His second no-hitter was saved by some great defensive plays on balls that could easily have fallen in for hits.

The way some of y'all talk about these great feats of the past make me believe that y'all were there.

Some great fishing stories you gentlemen have here

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

The way some of y'all talk about these great feats of the past make me believe that y'all were there.

Some great fishing stories you gentlemen have here emoji12.png

Well back in 19-dickety-five, I was on the plate. The honorable Harry Wendelstedt had the bases...

7 hours ago, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused by what you think the difference is between those two questions (in this situation).

My original question asked if the pitcher was credited with a no-hitter as compared to the game itself being recorded as a no-hitter.  I could swear that years ago when the Sporting News had the "Ask the Ump" feature this question/topic came up and the pitcher would NOT get credit for the no-hiiter....but then again most of what I remember never happened:o

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

My original question asked if the pitcher was credited with a no-hitter as compared to the game itself being recorded as a no-hitter.  I could swear that years ago when the Sporting News had the "Ask the Ump" feature this question/topic came up and the pitcher would NOT get credit for the no-hiiter....but then again most of what I remember never happened:o

At the risk of having another post voted down, do you recall why the pitcher would not get credit for the no-hitter?  That makes no sense to me.

8 hours ago, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused by what you think the difference is between those two questions (in this situation).

I'm now a little confused as to why this post was voted down.  It was a serious question about what the OP was really asking.

12 minutes ago, noumpere said:

At the risk of having another post voted down, do you recall why the pitcher would not get credit for the no-hitter?  That makes no sense to me.

I'm now a little confused as to why this post was voted down.  It was a serious question about what the OP was really asking.

Because he was not involved all 27 outs ...  in one of the plays the catcher and 1st baseman were when the catcher threw the ball to 1st and the runner (who had been walked) was tagged out...pitcher was not involved.

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

Because he was not involved all 27 outs ...  in one of the plays the catcher and 1st baseman were when the catcher threw the ball to 1st and the runner (who had been walked) was picked off...pitcher was not involved.

11 minutes ago, Guest said:

Because he was not involved all 27 outs ...  in one of the plays the catcher and 1st baseman were when the catcher threw the ball to 1st and the runner (who had been walked) was tagged out...pitcher was not involved.

Doesn't matter. The runner was on 1st base as a result of a walk, not a hit. Ergo it's still a no-hitter.

Find me any game where the pitcher is 'involved' in every out recorded...

1 hour ago, Guest said:

I did spend a few minutes looking at the scoring rules.  Nothing there on no-hitters at all, that I could see.  Maybe this "Stat" is kept by the hall of fame or somebody other than MLB.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

I did spend a few minutes looking at the scoring rules.  Nothing there on no-hitters at all, that I could see.  Maybe this "Stat" is kept by the hall of fame or somebody other than MLB.

thanks for checking

7 hours ago, Guest said:

Think of this as the pitcher pitched a game in which there were no hits. It has nothing to do with who gets credited for making the outs. There hasn't been a game in which the pitcher has been credited with every putout.