Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2709 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This may sound like an odd question, but does anyone else sometimes have trouble keeping your shirt securely tucked in for the entire game while working the plate and if so, any tips? I wear a size larger shirt than I normally would while on the plate and my pants are the correct size (now that I have moved down a size after losing some weight), but I always seem to have trouble partway through the game.

I'm 5'9 and weigh about 185', so it's not as though extra weight should be the problem anymore. One thing possibly related - or possibly not - that I'm looking to upgrade soon is my chest protector. I'm currently using a Diamond DCP-UX soft-shell protector which measures about 16'' from the neck to the bottom. I got an INCREDIBLE deal on this CP along with shin guards and a mask from a retiring umpire a few years ago when I joined my board, but I'm finding that the CP feels too bulky and long for my frame. Might soon be time to make this my backup.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to keep your shirt securely tucked so you look sharp behind the plate all game long without having to continually readjust between innings.

Thanks!

-AJ

Posted

Tuck shirt into waistband of tights or jock or undies.

"Works every time!" a la Major Payne

  • Like 3
Posted

http://www.umpire.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=38_53&products_id=88

http://www.umpire.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=38_53&products_id=104

Those are the traditional 2 options.  The first one is the classic.  The second one is the contemporary option

​Neither of those work very well. I used to wear them and moved on to this for basketball and baseball:

http://www.qualitymensaccessories.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

I have the 1" version. I tuck my shirt into my tights, then put this around the waistband of my tights. It works better than anything I've used before, and it lasts a lot longer than the older belts. The yellow rubber belts break easily, and the velcro black belts lose their stickiness and quit holding. 

Posted

This may sound like an odd question, but does anyone else sometimes have trouble keeping your shirt securely tucked in for the entire game while working the plate and if so, any tips?

​Even the odd questions have great answers.

Posted

​Neither of those work very well. I used to wear them and moved on to this for basketball and baseball:

http://www.qualitymensaccessories.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

I have the 1" version. I tuck my shirt into my tights, then put this around the waistband of my tights. It works better than anything I've used before, and it lasts a lot longer than the older belts. The yellow rubber belts break easily, and the velcro black belts lose their stickiness and quit holding. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I appreciate it!

I definitely think my CP is at least a factor.

zm1283 -- ​I actually stumbled upon the Shirt Lock while doing some research. I've read some mixed reviews on it (although most were non-umpires), but it does seem like something worth trying. Sounds like it's working for you. Does it tend to ride up as the games goes on, or does it generally stay in place assuming you tighten it to the proper level beforehand?

Posted

Some brands of pants have the rubber inside the waist band that helps stay tucked in too.

Posted

I tuck my shirt/s into my leggings.

however, it does sound like your CP could be the issue ....

​Same thought as Thunderheads.  An ill fitted cp seems to be the issue.

Posted

​Neither of those work very well. I used to wear them and moved on to this for basketball and baseball:

http://www.qualitymensaccessories.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

I have the 1" version. I tuck my shirt into my tights, then put this around the waistband of my tights. It works better than anything I've used before, and it lasts a lot longer than the older belts. The yellow rubber belts break easily, and the velcro black belts lose their stickiness and quit holding. 

​I just ordered this...didn't think it was possible for me to look sexier in my uniform, but maybe so...

Posted

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I appreciate it!

I definitely think my CP is at least a factor.

zm1283 -- ​I actually stumbled upon the Shirt Lock while doing some research. I've read some mixed reviews on it (although most were non-umpires), but it does seem like something worth trying. Sounds like it's working for you. Does it tend to ride up as the games goes on, or does it generally stay in place assuming you tighten it to the proper level beforehand?

​It never rides up. It grips the material of your shirt and pants and doesn't move. It has the "sticky" velcro-like stuff on both sides. 

It works well how I do it, but I think it might actually work better if I leave my shirt untucked from my tights and put the Shirt Lock directly on top of the shirt. 

 

 

Posted

​It never rides up. It grips the material of your shirt and pants and doesn't move. It has the "sticky" velcro-like stuff on both sides. 

It works well how I do it, but I think it might actually work better if I leave my shirt untucked from my tights and put the Shirt Lock directly on top of the shirt. 

 

 

​Thanks, I think I'm going to give it a try... Definitely going to start looking at some new CPs too...

Posted

I never had this issue. I just tuck in my compression shorts and off I go. Don't want to wear two belts if I don't have to.

Posted

This may sound like an odd question, but does anyone else sometimes have trouble keeping your shirt securely tucked in for the entire game while working the plate and if so, any tips? I wear a size larger shirt than I normally would while on the plate and my pants are the correct size (now that I have moved down a size after losing some weight), but I always seem to have trouble partway through the game.

I'm 5'9 and weigh about 185', so it's not as though extra weight should be the problem anymore. One thing possibly related - or possibly not - that I'm looking to upgrade soon is my chest protector. I'm currently using a Diamond DCP-UX soft-shell protector which measures about 16'' from the neck to the bottom. I got an INCREDIBLE deal on this CP along with shin guards and a mask from a retiring umpire a few years ago when I joined my board, but I'm finding that the CP feels too bulky and long for my frame. Might soon be time to make this my backup.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to keep your shirt securely tucked so you look sharp behind the plate all game long without having to continually readjust between innings.

Thanks!

-AJ

​Wear the rubber flex belt with holes in it.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Belts/M39_Flex-Belt?id=259

Posted

I've started wearing shirt stays or shirt garters. I got a pair at Men's Warehouse and another pair from a military uniform supply store. There were three different "styles" one is individual clips, another is a "Y" type strapping system and another that is a "stirrup" and loops around the foot. I've liked them so far and they've stayed put and the shirt stays tucked. I use the lower clips and hook them into a fold in my tights but they usually are meant to hook to socks (and also keep them up)  

http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-clothes/mens-clothing-accessories/shoe-care/black-shirt-garter-854502

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Black-Military-4-Piece-Straight/dp/B0001XLP9Q

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Military-Shirt-Straight-Stirrup/dp/B0037J12T4

 

Posted

For my games each of the past three days I have tried tucking my undershirt into my shorts and then placing an old belt around my un-tucked umpire shirt. Then I tucked the umpire shirt into my pants. I really have noticed a positive difference in the way my shirts stay put over the course of the game. I don't want to use the old belt permanently, so I will likely try the Shirt Lock or Flex -- thanks for the suggestions!

  • 3 years later...
Posted

I used to do that also but then I found these pretty useful boxer briefs that actually do the same thing and help me keep shirt tucked in . They have some pretty durable rubber grips on them on the inside with a dual waistband as well. They are called Tucked Trunks. Here's the site in case you want to give them a spin www.tuckedtrunks.com

On 5/8/2015 at 9:50 AM, AJA51385 said:

For my games each of the past three days I have tried tucking my undershirt into my shorts and then placing an old belt around my un-tucked umpire shirt. Then I tucked the umpire shirt into my pants. I really have noticed a positive difference in the way my shirts stay put over the course of the game. I don't want to use the old belt permanently, so I will likely try the Shirt Lock or Flex -- thanks for the suggestions!

 

Posted
6 hours ago, Billy Gene said:

I used to do that also but then I found these pretty useful boxer briefs that actually do the same thing and help me keep shirt tucked in . They have some pretty durable rubber grips on them on the inside with a dual waistband as well. They are called Tucked Trunks. Here's the site in case you want to give them a spin www.tuckedtrunks.com

 

Unearthing threads that are 3-7 years old is generally frowned upon.

If you are I involved with this product, why not start your own thread and tell us about it? Resurrecting a dead thread will just turn most of us off.

Posted
13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Unearthing threads that are 3-7 years old is generally frowned upon.

If you are I involved with this product, why not start your own thread and tell us about it? Resurrecting a dead thread will just turn most of us off.

My years of experience as a moderator on forums have my spammy senses tingling pretty hard here.

  • Haha 2
Posted
11 minutes ago, udbrky said:

My years of experience as a moderator on forums have my spammy senses tingling pretty hard here.

What?!?!?  You don't think he's trying to sell something do you? :Horse:

Posted

I'm actually surprised it stopped after only two posts. I would be willing to bet there are AT LEAST a dozen threads on here about tucking in shirts. 

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...