Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3973 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.daveystrap.com/

 

Great video of him taking some shots in the face.  Doesn't seem to bother him.  His website is pretty cool.

 

According to his blog he umpires in Ireland and Europe every year for vacation.  Invites umps to contact him to get hooked up to do that.  I think it would be cool.

 

David Dilworth.  Video appears to be desert area.  States he works semi-pro, college, men's league, high school, etc.  Anybody know him?  Doubt he is a member here or we would have heard of him/the Davey Strap.

 

As I said, the videos are pretty good.

 

 

Posted

Could you not do the same thing with any other harness? Just raise it up a bit on the back of your head?

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

According to his blog he umpires in Ireland and Europe every year for vacation.  Invites umps to contact him to get hooked up to do that.  I think it would be cool.

 

If you want to work some games in the EU let me know Major Dave..I can hook you up

Posted

Dudes.  You guys are harsh.  He is one of us.  I looked him up.  He spent some serious money making videos, testing, developing.  He is seeking a patent.  That is expensive.  I invited him to join the site.  

 

So, Lighten up, Francis (bam)!

  • Like 2
Posted

Dudes.  You guys are harsh.  He is one of us.  I looked him up.  He spent some serious money making videos, testing, developing.  He is seeking a patent.  That is expensive.  I invited him to join the site.  

 

So, Lighten up, Francis (bam)!

Pfft....I'm still not going to spend $40 on this thing.  :fuel:

Posted

I may not either.  Just try to be more accepting of a brother in blue trying to help us all.  Those shots to the face in his videos earns my RESPECT.  Say it again, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  That is confidence in your product.  Just like the Nutty Buddy guy.  Damn!

  • Like 4
Posted

I may not either.  Just try to be more accepting of a brother in blue trying to help us all.  Those shots to the face in his videos earns my RESPECT.  Say it again, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  That is confidence in your product.  Just like the Nutty Buddy guy.  Damn!

 

 

And the Unequal guy!  :-)    :fuel:

Posted

Anyone watch to the "The Davey Strap Promise" video? Why can't he remember his lines?

Too many shots to the head during product testing.

Posted

Ive watched this before. Seems to me it was being scoffed at sometime ago on this site. My favorite is what is left of his mask at 1:47...brutal.  He has a brother that was an umpire too but retired to figure out how to keep umpires, players, and spectators safe when lightning was near.  His studies aren't quite finished but here is an update....

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Why does he never explain in the video how this harness differs from a regular harness? Like everyone else said, it looks like a normal harness just worn higher on the back of your head, which leaves it sticking up above your head. 

Posted

Anyone watch to the "The Davey Strap Promise" video? Why can't he remember his lines?

Too many shots to the head during product testing.

It was really a rhetorical question

Posted

 

I may not either.  Just try to be more accepting of a brother in blue trying to help us all.  Those shots to the face in his videos earns my RESPECT.  Say it again, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  That is confidence in your product.  Just like the Nutty Buddy guy.  Damn!

 

 

And the Unequal guy!  :-)    :fuel:

 

Oh no you didn't?

  • Like 1
Posted

http://www.daveystrap.com/

 

Great video of him taking some shots in the face.  Doesn't seem to bother him.  His website is pretty cool.

 

According to his blog he umpires in Ireland and Europe every year for vacation.  Invites umps to contact him to get hooked up to do that.  I think it would be cool.

 

David Dilworth.  Video appears to be desert area.  States he works semi-pro, college, men's league, high school, etc.  Anybody know him?  Doubt he is a member here or we would have heard of him/the Davey Strap.

 

As I said, the videos are pretty good.

 

Davey - is in the Greater San Diego area.

 

The demo video was in fact filmed at Cal. State San Marcos, in North San Diego County, and that is Mike Winters (MLB Umpire) observing (he lives in Oceanside, Ca. I believe - North Coastal San Diego County), although that really doesn't mean much in the way of testing or product review.

 

I have no personal experience with him or his "Davey Strap", but, the idea and premise appear to enhance the idea of properly wearing a mask which is and or should be setup to disperse the energy of a baseball contacting the mask.

 

Small world for what its worth story - last year I was selling some extra gear, and he called me asking about it; telling me he had recently had all of his gear stolen out of his car. He asked me a few questions about my gear for sale, then asked me if I knew about his Davey Strap, told me about himself a bit, and then he offered me a short "pitch" about the strap, then asked about a bargain "help a brotha out" price for a couple items I was selling..... Interesting "character" for sure.

 

Good luck out there - Spring Baseball is HERE!!

  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Was Mike WInters blinking Morse Code?  He may have been saying "Im being held against my will, my family is in danger, please help."  Or maybe "I lost a bet, I'm being blackmailed, please forgive me and take me seriously despite the fact I am in this commercial."   BTW...this is the second sunday night in a row that Winters is not wearing the Davey Strap.  Stay there catch i am good!

  • Like 1
Posted

I watched this several times, and then reviewed the impact sequence a few more times...

 

The catcher is wearing a Diamond iX3. Good mask. I doubt, though, that this strap would work for catchers as its advertised to, because I don't think it would stay on over the reverse-batting-helmet a catcher would wear. If the impact triggers the strap's release (somehow), wouldn't the helmet negate it?

 

Have you noticed the deformed mask this guy is testing with??!!! Holy crap, it looks like it got hit with a bowling ball!

Posted

I watched this several times, and then reviewed the impact sequence a few more times...

The catcher is wearing a Diamond iX3. Good mask. I doubt, though, that this strap would work for catchers as its advertised to, because I don't think it would stay on over the reverse-batting-helmet a catcher would wear. If the impact triggers the strap's release (somehow), wouldn't the helmet negate it?

Have you noticed the deformed mask this guy is testing with??!!! Holy crap, it looks like it got hit with a bowling ball!

Perhaps, and I'm completly speculating here, a catcher could use this "Davey Strap" if he were to wear the skull helmet forward like Kevin Cash does. And also a mask does fly off just the same wearing a skull helmet as catchers do, I wore an LMXW my first season with a skull helmet on backwards and it flew off just the same(I didn't realize at the time that umpires don't wear skull helmets). I'm seriously considering buying one of these, he's knocked it down to $21.95 now so not a terrible price tag.
Posted

I've seen him around the HS circuit, since my son is a varsity coach.

 

The way I see it is the ball is going to mash the frame and the pads, in it's path to your brain. I fail to see where the straps, on the back side of all the action, have anything to do with this equation.

 

My straps are so loose, they might as well be dangling around my ankles. They serve no purpose other than to keep my mask from sliding off the bill of my hat when I look down.

Posted

Then you, @kylejt, have yourself your own version of a Davey Strap. It's a Kyley (?) Strap.

 

Counter-intuitively (at least to the general public), we want the mask to be blown off our face by a speeding ball because the mask is capturing a great deal of that potential energy. It's almost like ablative armor. The Davey Strap is attempting to ensure that the "flying off your face" action happens despite some unknowing umpire putting the mask on with the same snugness as the face-hugger from Aliens.

×
×
  • Create New...