New Mask by Wilson

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3299 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The Force3 steel mask is $149.99.  With the code "TICH13" you get $13 off the price making it 136.99 until the end of August.  The one that could be double the price of a regular steel mask will be the Titanium version of the Force3 mask but it will not be double the price of another titanium mask .  Hope this clear the air a little bit.

Let the hating begin

Wilson Aluminum = a nice mask.  Small upgrades such as a more up and down extended throat guard (leaving little room for an additional 4" or 6" plastic guard), ear guards are rounded and look sharp.  Bars are as thick as 3009 but of course no poly coating.  Finish is matte of course.  No vision difference than what you get with the 3009.  This mask is all about the pads.  I have to say wow!  What a nice job they did with these.  Much softer than TW and Wilson wrap around.  However, not to the point where they are rendered dangerous.  When I put it on and slapped the mask I didn't get the same impact I get when I do that with TW and Wilson wrap around.  Cant wait for the tan pads, I WILL put the black pads on the ti and have my two masks.  Here are the specs...

Frame = 12.80 oz

Pads = 4.15 oz

Harness = 2.35

Total of = 19.40 oz.

I know I said the Champro/TW was the standard, but I actually had one in my hands that topped it.

A powder coated Champro. Stripped of it's plastic coating, that thing was the lightest rig I've ever felt.

So along with my Platinum being sent out for a TW retro. the Champro is getting a makeover too. (that, and I'm going to shoot my silver Diamond flat black, and overlay a layer of carbon fiber on the Platinum plates. It won't add much, but it will look badass)

I know I said the Champro/TW was the standard, but I actually had one in my hands that topped it.

A powder coated Champro. Stripped of it's plastic coating, that thing was the lightest rig I've ever felt.

So along with my Platinum being sent out for a TW retro. the Champro is getting a makeover too. (that, and I'm going to shoot my silver Diamond flat black, and overlay a layer of carbon fiber on the Platinum plates. It won't add much, but it will look badass)

So lemme get this right... You're going to have TW repad your WV Platinum, and then you'll skin it with carbon-fiber decals? Conjunctively, you'll have somebody (MaskIt?) powder-coat your Champro mask _and_ your Diamond mask?

You fashionista. I/we request that you relay what models of masks those are, and when you get them back, get them weighed in the same manner @acpar72 did above, please — frame alone, pads, harness, combined.

Our photographer just shot them on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to have the images uploaded by the end of next week.  I spoke with the head guy at Wilson that oversees their protective gear, they have no plans for offering the pads in tan, at least for the foreseeable future.

@UADirOps – I am _not_ lashing out at you, in any way, shape, form or manner... 

What you relayed, though, really set my Designer's teeth on edge:

On 8/14/2014 at 8:56 AM, UADirOps said:

I spoke with the head guy at Wilson that oversees their protective gear, they have no plans for offering the pads in tan, at least for the foreseeable future.

Why the funk not??!!!

There is a _severe_ disconnect in the Product Triangle of Development - Feedback - Fulfillment when something like this is only offered in one style or color or size or... etc. If you've rolled out a product that supersedes all your previous renditions, and can possibly rival the other main leaders of the market (Team Wendys, in this case), then by any and all means, you don't do it tentatively! You have the "Official MLB Supplier" tag on your side, roll these things out with a (relatively) big fanfare, offer it in _four colors_, and cross-market it to Diamond and All-Star mask owners as well. 

Something as minor as variety of color options speaks _volumes_ to a fellow designer (and more importantly, consumer) – it shows me you're committed to the product, and that you have the interests of the customer in mind. With this product, you have the opportunity to leapfrog everybody else and sell a significant number to the market, reaching to those that are, for example, using Diamond DFM-iX3 (which is an outstanding mask frame) and convincing them that "Hey! These new pads? Are _awesome_, and you really should get a set of new (tan / grey / charcoal) ones from us! Not only are they safer, but they also look better too!" Admit it, when you see a fellow umpire with black pads on their masks, you don't even give it a second look. But when they're in tan, or another unique (to us) color, like a grey or bi-color, you _notice_... and you ask about them.

This tangent was spurred by a history of companies under-whelming us. Granted, in today's market, you cannot afford to make a mistake, because of all the capital involved. But you also have to capitalize when the opportunity presents itself, and take a slight risk based more on feedback and insight – which is an emotional factor – than a calculation.

Yes, I would have been _that_ guy who would tell Henry Ford, "Sorry Mister Ford, but until you offer that new fangled automobile in blue, red, or grey, I'm fine with my horse." Or, better yet, I'd be _that_ guy who, on the day after the first Model T was sold would open up his own Automobile Customization company.

• Like 2

@MadMax, you put it much more eloquently than I did, but I did point out to Wilson what I felt was an oversight on their part.  I was told they ran into issues out sourcing a supplier for tan fabric.  What that really means I can only guess at.  The moisture wicking material used on the black pads, was already being used on another product, so it was readily available. I would imagine Team Wendy did much the same, use materials that they were already using for other products to make replacement pads for umpires. 

May not have a large enough market to be able to afford to make mask pads of a variety of colors. Would be great to get the Reebok Zigs in a wide size, but probably just not a big enough market. Was talking with an umpire who is a distributor for products and he stated it doesn't make financial sense.