Hunter has a "chicken-fest!"

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4367 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The first 1 is a no brainer at any time in the game.

However, aren't the last 2, since they were not falling over obvious, only to be called in the 2nd inning, like when the first one happened, but not in the 7th, 8th, and 9th when it would affect the outcome of the game to have a runner score the winning run, even a walk-off run at that, or move the runner over into very good scoring position at 3rd.

Shouldn't these minor balks or infractions be overlooked in a "big game" or a "big spot" in the game, so the players can win the game on the field and not some picky violation such as a balk that is only a flinch. Now remember, I did say the first balk can be called no matter when, or what, the situation, along with dropping the ball while on the rubber, but something like a flinch???? especially a "big game" for the playoffs, DS, LCS, or 7th game of the WS??? or lets leave the pros and say in a big HS or College game in both the regular season and the playoffs. Shouldn't just the major infractions that a grandma from the stands can call, be the criteria for the more important spots in the game or the importance of the game itself.

The first 1 is a no brainer at any time in the game.

However, aren't the last 2, since they were not falling over obvious, only to be called in the 2nd inning, like when the first one happened, but not in the 7th, 8th, and 9th when it would affect the outcome of the game to have a runner score the winning run, even a walk-off run at that, or move the runner over into very good scoring position at 3rd.

Shouldn't these minor balks or infractions be overlooked in a "big game" or a "big spot" in the game, so the players can win the game on the field and not some picky violation such as a balk that is only a flinch. Now remember, I did say the first balk can be called no matter when, or what, the situation, along with dropping the ball while on the rubber, but something like a flinch???? especially a "big game" for the playoffs, DS, LCS, or 7th game of the WS??? or lets leave the pros and say in a big HS or College game in both the regular season and the playoffs. Shouldn't just the major infractions that a grandma from the stands can call, be the criteria for the more important spots in the game or the importance of the game itself.

No, they were balks.

Won't some supervisors, assignors and coaches at all levels blackball or penalize umpires who call the last 2 balks in important games?

Coaches, yes. The others I would hope not.

Won't some supervisors, assignors and coaches at all levels blackball or penalize umpires who call the last 2 balks in important games?

And coaches have that kind of power in some areas? You got to be kidding me. And supervisors and assignors let them get away with it? Sounds like the supervisors and assignors are just as culpable in this situation as the coaches if that can happen in some areas of the country.

And coaches have that kind of power in some areas? You got to be kidding me. And supervisors and assignors let them get away with it? Sounds like the supervisors and assignors are just as culpable in this situation as the coaches if that can happen in some areas of the country.

In high school, absolutely.

In high school, absolutely.

Why???

And by chance are these assignors the ones in some areas that not only assign games and make a good buck doing that, but also the ones who umpire and make a good buck and cherry pick all the good games and the position on the field they want to work, many times just the bases on all the games so they don't get yelled at on pitches or hit by pitches or have to put the gear on. And are these the same that would never call balks 2 and 3 ever, much less in an important game and just say they didn't see it. Not saying this happens everywhere.

I think (hope!) dumbdumb is being tongue-in-cheek :)

And I still don't see the 3rd balk.

You have to watch his back elbow to see a very slight movement of it. Probably not going to be called below HS. Maybe not even at HS level. I would say definitely not JV.

I think (hope!) dumbdumb is being tongue-in-cheek :)

And I still don't see the 3rd balk.

You have to watch his back elbow to see a very slight movement of it. Probably not going to be called below HS. Maybe not even at HS level. I would say definitely not JV.

You have to see it from the front, ...thats where you can see it ..........

You know what I LOVED about this video? You can clearly see Bellino and Layne ALL OVER the balk call after Hunter made the intial call. They ECHOED the call. I hardly ever, ever see this on games I watch or work. It makes all the difference in the world when we are ALL calling it, even if the non-calling umpire didnt see it. Just ECHO it! It shows you have your partner's back and will go a long way towards convinving the manager that there was indeed a balk, minimizing the chance for argument or problems down the road.

• Like 1

And by chance are these assignors the ones in some areas that not only assign games and make a good buck doing that, but also the ones who umpire and make a good buck and cherry pick all the good games and the position on the field they want to work, many times just the bases on all the games so they don't get yelled at on pitches or hit by pitches or have to put the gear on. And are these the same that would never call balks 2 and 3 ever, much less in an important game and just say they didn't see it. Not saying this happens everywhere.

It has nothing to do with assignors and what games they work.