Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5286 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I went whole hog last week and bought new gear, uniforms, etc all with my wife's blessing. I didn't spare much expense except for opting for Smitty pants over Poly Wools.

Driving home today with my wife, we have the car loaded with Ikea furniture that cost about as much as the gear I just bought.

Note to self: when pricing gear, double the price of everything.

Posted

I bought a 66 Mustang convertible that came with a cherry dinning room set. I refer to this as " revenge or hate shopping".

  • Like 3
Posted

I went whole hog last week and bought new gear, uniforms, etc all with my wife's blessing. I didn't spare much expense except for opting for Smitty pants over Poly Wools.

Driving home today with my wife, we have the car loaded with Ikea furniture that cost about as much as the gear I just bought.

Note to self: when pricing gear, double the price of everything.

You'll get this down by marriage #2 or #3.

  • Like 3
Posted

Most of my guitars are double the price, as my local jewelry store somehow seems to know when I get a new ax.

My next motorcycle is going to cost me a new rock, too. Oh well, the price of having fun.........

  • Like 1
Posted

Unfortunately, baseball has the highest expense to get started of all the major sports, by a longshot, with all the equipment needed, unless you can somehow be a base umpire only in your area.

However, if by chance you go "TOP of the line" with your equipment, you can rest easy with the fact that if you have to give up umpiring after a year or 2, you could easily get back 1/2 the price or more on that "TOP of the line" equipment and go buy something nice for SWMBO or whatever.

If you stick with it and make your investment back several times over, you can always donate that old equipment to some new guy when they first start to help them keep expenses down as you change over to new equipment again or switch to a new "TOP of the line" product.

Posted

Dumb dumb, I'll be sticking with it, this is just a return to baseball after a long layoff. I learned my lesson the first time around that cheap gear isn't worth it.

Posted

Cheap gear.... I had dreams about not spending much money. Until I asked all of the people on here their opinion. :shakehead: Well needless to say after only 2 plate games this season I am glad I went hard shell and spent the cash. And it only took one shot off of the foot to go home and beg SWMBO for the funds for plate shoes... Thanks alot guys, without you I would have just been stupid and in pain.. But I would have more money. :notworthy:

Posted

And it only took one shot off of the foot to go home and beg SWMBO for the funds for plate shoes...

That's all it took for me!!!

Posted

I went whole hog last week and bought new gear, uniforms, etc all with my wife's blessing. I didn't spare much expense except for opting for Smitty pants over Poly Wools.

Driving home today with my wife, we have the car loaded with Ikea furniture that cost about as much as the gear I just bought.

Note to self: when pricing gear, double the price of everything.

You do know that Kevin Finnerty reads this forum, right? Boy, you in trouble!

Posted

Cheap gear.... I had dreams about not spending much money. Until I asked all of the people on here their opinion. :shakehead: Well needless to say after only 2 plate games this season I am glad I went hard shell and spent the cash. And it only took one shot off of the foot to go home and beg <acronym title='She who must be obeyed'>SWMBO</acronym> for the funds for plate shoes... Thanks alot guys, without you I would have just been stupid and in pain.. But I would have more money. :notworthy:

Really? Did a Plate without plate shoes? Crazy!!!

Posted

To be honest I had never heard of or seen plate shoes until I got on this site! I caught for 10 years and never noticed them.

Posted

Cheap gear.... I had dreams about not spending much money. Until I asked all of the people on here their opinion. :shakehead: Well needless to say after only 2 plate games this season I am glad I went hard shell and spent the cash. And it only took one shot off of the foot to go home and beg <acronym title='She who must be obeyed'>SWMBO</acronym> for the funds for plate shoes... Thanks alot guys, without you I would have just been stupid and in pain.. But I would have more money. :notworthy:

Posted

Naw. Where im from we generally wrap it in duct tape and get drunk. Or the local football coach will tell you to take an ibuprofen and put ice on it. So what if you never walk right again....

Posted

Where I come from you just buy plate shoes before you ever go out there. And, for that matter, when your eyeglasses break, you buy new ones. So you don't even need to own duct tape here.

Posted

Doesn't only apply to Umpire Gear.

Recently bought MLB 12 The Road to the Show and had to buy the wife Sims 3 for the computer. :rose:

Posted

I took my pants to the tailor today. He looked at me pretty funny when I was carrying my shin guards, base shoes and plate shoes. He also thought it was unusual that I wanted my plate pants measured for a hem while in my stance but he got a kick out of it.

Posted

I took my pants to the tailor today. He looked at me pretty funny when I was carrying my shin guards, base shoes and plate shoes. He also thought it was unusual that I wanted my plate pants measured for a hem while in my stance but he got a kick out of it.

Yeah I had to try and explain to my tailor that my plate pants are not church pants. Standing up straight is one measurement, but in the stance is another measurement so we need to try to meet in the middle. The lady didn't realize we wore the leg guards under the pants :-)

Posted

I think I'm going to ask local MLB Umpire Ron Kulpa where he gets his pants hemmed. I'd assume that tailor knows how to do it right.

Posted

I think I'm going to ask local MLB Umpire Ron Kulpa where he gets his pants hemmed. I'd assume that tailor knows how to do it right.

Find out where he lives, so we can break in and steal all of his uniforms and gear. :D

  • Like 1
Posted

But I would have more money. :notworthy:

If you break your foot, you're out a season of game fees. Plate shoes are cheap

My emergency room co-pay is more than a good pair of plate shoes. Simple economics there...

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...