Signaling your partner

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4467 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If you are working with an inexperienced or unknown partner, then certainly signal everything. To an experienced crew they serve as reminders, especially IFF. As a base umpire I rarely signal back, there a few, I just nod my head to let him know I have it. Two examples where I signal back is IFF, my nemisis, and when we change from first to third to my taking all the bases.

As far as not signaling back as the base umpire, why would you not mirror your partner's signal back? This definitely puts you on the same page.

Signals should not be overt or demonstrative when given either. They are very low key communication between you and your partner only.

Jax-you are a good dude (I am pretty sure we have met before) and one of my favorite posters here.

With that being said, there is no way in h-e-double hockey stick a college guy tought you, much less uses any mechanic to relay who is watching a tag up.

LOL you're funny. Where we meet?

And yes it was a college guy and wendeldstad graduate.

Like Johnny said maybe I misunderstood.

Southern Camp.

So anyway-now curiosity is really getting me. What is the mechanic you use to signal this Jax?

If you are working with an inexperienced or unknown partner, then certainly signal everything. To an experienced crew they serve as reminders, especially IFF. As a base umpire I rarely signal back, there a few, I just nod my head to let him know I have it. Two examples where I signal back is IFF, my nemisis, and when we change from first to third to my taking all the bases.

As far as not signaling back as the base umpire, why would you not mirror your partner's signal back? This definitely puts you on the same page.

Signals should not be overt or demonstrative when given either. They are very low key communication between you and your partner only.

Some assignors do not want the base umpire giving them back. Just a nod of acknowledgement instead. When in Rome I suppose...

Jax-you are a good dude (I am pretty sure we have met before) and one of my favorite posters here.

With that being said, there is no way in h-e-double hockey stick a college guy tought you, much less uses any mechanic to relay who is watching a tag up.

<acronym title='Laughing Out Loud'>LOL </acronym>you're funny. Where we meet?

And yes it was a college guy and wendeldstad graduate.

Like Johnny said maybe I misunderstood.

Southern Camp.

So anyway-now curiosity is really getting me. What is the mechanic you use to signal this Jax?

Just a quick tap of your closed fist. Like if you were holding a bat.

I am big into signaling all the different situations to my partners during a game.

So lets say there are no outs with R2 and R3.

As plate umpire I would normaly signal my partner that I have the tag-up at 3rd and that I am staying home.

Well this last Saturday at a HS Field Clinic the clinician got on me about signaling the tag-up. He says that you only signal a tag-up if there are runners on First and Second only.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

I think there is a confusion in terminology here. When signaling tag up responsibilities, you "typically" signal to your partner the base that you will “cover” when there is a possibility of multiple tag-ups.This tells your partner you have the play INTO that base not FROM that base.

With R2 and R3 and no outs, fly ball to the outfield (no FF possibility) PU has R3 leaving FROM 3rd (Tag-up) and all plays INTO home. U1 will have the catch/no-catch, R2 leaving FROM 2nd (Tag-Up), and possible play INTO 3rd .

If I'm the Plate umpire, the only thing I will signal to my partner in this situation would be that "I’m staying at home". There is no need to communicate that you are watching R3 leave 3rd, this should be "understood" by both umpires as a fundamental responsibility in the 2-man system. I can understand why your instructor corrected you, because you typically signal that you have the tag-up at 3rd with R1 and R2. Meaning you as PU will have R2 leaving (Tag-up) FROM 2nd coming INTO 3rd.

I'm just dense today. But was having difficulty understanding where the OP was coming from until I read Fittske's post

I 100% agree with him.

R2, R3 PU needs to stay home. His responsibilities are touches of third (including the tag-up) and plays at the plate.

Moving to cover any play at 3rd as PU leaves home empty with 2 RISP. Now, you may have to move pretty far foul to line up the touch of the base and the initial contact of the ball by the fielder into your viewing area if the ball is hit to RF.

But the instructor is correct in the signaling of tag ups for R1 & R2 only w/ <2 outs.

Good question

Thanks for all the responses!!! Hard to believe that I am going into my 3rd year of Umpiring and nobody has corrected me on the field.

I'm glad I have you guys!!! :notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy:

Jax-

We use the signal that MStaylor described which is an open palm(left) with a closed fist and inder finger pointing to 3rd and set the right hand on TOP of the left palm.

I a PERFECT world I should not have to use that signal. However, I don't work college ball, as much as I may want to, I work HS/Legion and lower. I know there are guys that I simply point to the plate in this situation and they KNOW what will happen, they are the vets if you will. However, I have worked with guys when I'm on the pads that I have to turn and ask them what they got on a play at 3rd. They didn't move with a runner on 1st with a ball to the outfield. I have even had guys that don't move when I go out on a trouble ball. I turn to comeback to the infield and they are still at home!

With only two guys on the diamond...I would rather over signal to a partner of unknown ability than get caught with an "oh $hit" play somewhere. It all depends on my partner...I don't take chances and I don't CYA for someone's mistake...

• Like 1

Saying that I am staying home, we simply point at the ground. In that situsation I will open both hands and show them at my sides to show I have all the plays on the bases. I tend to forget IFF situations so I always show that and a wipeoff when the situation goes away, called an IFF after a double steal once. All others I simply nod. I see no need to signal my coverage if the PU just told me his. If I know his, I have what's left. If he points he has third on a first to tird or first and third, then why should I signal I have first and second? The process of elimination takes care of that. If my partner shows signals back, I won't ding him, I just don't see the need.

The signal I explained in an earlier post is what I believe he may be confusing with what he is currently doing.

Jax-

We use the signal that MStaylor described which is an open palm(left) with a closed fist and inder finger pointing to 3rd and set the right hand on TOP of the left palm.

I a PERFECT world I should not have to use that signal. However, I don't work college ball, as much as I may want to, I work HS/Legion and lower. I know there are guys that I simply point to the plate in this situation and they KNOW what will happen, they are the vets if you will. However, I have worked with guys when I'm on the pads that I have to turn and ask them what they got on a play at 3rd. They didn't move with a runner on 1st with a ball to the outfield. I have even had guys that don't move when I go out on a trouble ball. I turn to comeback to the infield and they are still at home!

With only two guys on the diamond...I would rather over signal to a partner of unknown ability than get caught with an "oh $hit" play somewhere. It all depends on my partner...I don't take chances and I don't CYA for someone's mistake...

I agree and that was kinda my point when I said that i work with many guys I don't know and I would rather over signal. Specially at the REC ball levels.

In HS i work with Vetereans and we pregame and we feel confident with each other.

Good Post!

Just a matter of habit, I will always wipe off the previous signal...just a habit I got into when I was starting out. I never return or mimic signals when I'm on the pads. You look real stupid doin' the hand jive in B! If I'm working with a partner that is new or I've never worked with I will let them tell me where they are going and I'll take the rest. If rotation is missed or coverage is wrong I will post game with them. But there are some who are working for a check and could care less. It's easy to tell...I don't waste my time

You could simplify it and simply tell/signal your partner that you're staying home.

This is correct, whether you differ or not. Don't signal anything else other than you're staying home. You signal with R1 and R2 with less than two because it requires a rotation and your partner needs to know you'll be there.

Love my Sunday Adult ball and my partner. We can work any game together and not have to signal anything. We can read each others thoughts. There are a couple of others I can feel secure enough with to work a game and not have to worry about signaling.

Otherwise, when I am working with someone I haven't worked with a lot or at all, I like a good pregame and expect signaling from them to ensure we are on the same page.

Thanks for all the responses!!! Hard to believe that I am going into my 3rd year of Umpiring and nobody has corrected me on the field.

Jax...You're so far ahead of the game than when I was in my 3rd year. I knew about signaling IFF and timing plays back then and that's about it. So my hats off to you.

I'm now in my 9th year and starting college ball for the first time and I still have a lot to learn. Go watch some veterans working higher level ball and observe. Then check them out after the game and ask some questions about the signals they used. I remember doing this several years ago and it was very beneficial. Matter of fact I'm going to watch some D1 guys work this weekend just to observe how they officiate.

My only advice on signaling is:

1. Always signal what you are going to do. Don't mirror the signals your partner just gave you.

2. Don't look like your launching aircraft off of a carrier.

How many of you "wipe-off" the IFF? I've been reading about that more and more lately...I guess its something that I've never done.

When I first started we were taught to wipe off the IFF. Now we just signal the next play.

"Wiping Off" an IFF is a VERY Smitty move around my area, even in the HS/Summer Ball circles....

• Like 2

I hardly use the Time play signal. -- Pointing to your left wrist like your pointing to a watch that BETTER NOT be there---

It is when you have 2 outs and RISP. If the 3rd out is not a force, the PU must be aware to note if the third out occurred first or the run scored.