Look what I found ??

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4641 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Wow..is this what everyone has been waiting for??

Yup.

Looks like they listened when we were asked for suggestions. Big plates, neck coverage, rib coverage, etc. Aside from not using the carbon fiber plates I tilted toward (which was probably due to cost), it looks like they nailed it.

I'll let y'all know how they are when I get them in my hands.

Very, very interesting! I wonder when the official release will be. Also I wonder if All star will allow us to buy just the harness much like the delta force for those of us who currently have delta forces on our west vests?

Holy crap!

That is one awesome looking CP. It looks to be very low profile, solid and well thought out. I don't see any gap issues that would cause an ump to take a nasty shot. It sounds like in the description that it sits away from your chest slightly to allow for air flow...maybe I read incorrectly. This is going to be a serious player in the umpire gear market. Any idea on cost yet?

Doesn't do anything for me.

To many rivets.

How do plates attach to padding? They do not appear to be removable to clean padding.

I still think my Wilson Gold is better and wouldn't even consider replacing it.

I trend to stay with what works for me and am not into buying every new piece of equipment that comes out.

To many rivets.

How do plates attach to padding? They do not appear to be removable to clean padding.

I trend to stay with what works for me and am not into buying every new piece of equipment that comes out.

they remove, and are the system seven washable type!:meditation:

To many rivets.

shakehead.gifAnyways...

The chest protector looks pretty solid and will be interested in the upcoming reviews.

Since I am an equipment expert, here is my 2 cents. Just going on looks alone, this CP will be the new standard for MiLB guys as well as some MLB umps. I know Joe..he is a great guy but since he started having the WV line made in China is is just not the same. Now this All-star CP is ofcoarse made oveseas however the style is fresh and stylish. The mask looks like something Belgard or Mizuno would have made. If this stuff was Wilson/West, sales would go throught the roof. But since it is All-star...we will have to wait and see. If I didnt wear a Power, this CP would be in my bag right now. I am thinking this CP will be in the $120-130 range.

Looking forward to reviews. At first glance, it looks like it could get pretty hot wearing it, like wearing a solid sheet of thick plastic on your body, with nowhere for heat to disipate to. I'm probably wrong, but I guess we'll see.

iam a big fan of all star , i have the fm2000 mask it is a solid mask . with the unique design curve at the top bar . the new cp appears to be another winner . with alot of thought put into the design , and the fm4000 mask as well . i will be waiting to see the cost and seriously consider either product for my collection . so when can we buy this gear , brad from allstar are you listening .

marc

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the interest! It’s been fun watching the chatter going on!

FYI, there are about five guys on the forum (and a chuck of guys off the forum) who have been testing it since the end of June. If they want, they are more than welcome to post some reviews on the CPU4000. These guys were chosen because they have literally been giving us constant feedback for just about a solid year now. They have been extremely helpful during the development process of this thing. I had a blast interacting with them! Pretty neat. Everyone on this forum has been amazing! We received so much feedback and design inspiration from here!

This is technically a new item for the 2012 season. However, we will have limited inventory for the end of 2011 from mid September through November. First come first serve on those!

The retail price range is still up in the air because we do not set those, we leave that up to the stores which represent our brand. So, you will have to check with your local All-Star dealers. Unfortunately, it’s so new, no online retail sites will even have it listed yet.

Again, thanks for the interest and your patience!

Brad,

I really appreciate that you took the time, and listened to the guys in the field. It would have been easier to just get input from some MLB guys, and call it a day. But we're the guys that do three times as many plates as they do, and get hit a whole lot more. We'll do three dishes in a day, and don't have a clubhouse guy cleaning our gear. What works for MLB guys (who get free gear) doesn't always work for us local hacks.

Fellas, as soon as they become available, I'll write my review of the chest protector, mask, and throat protector. Stand by.

Again, thanks for the ear, Brad.

Kyle

Hello all

I have been fortunate enough to be one of those who participated in the developmental group with regard to the CPU 4000 by All-Star. I have been impressed by the quality of the dialogue and the quantity of the feedback offered by the group. Kudos to Brad Jurga and the All-Star gang for being open to the input of such a group. Theconsensus among the group seems to be that the CPU 4000 has integrated of someof the better features of some of the main brands, Wilson, Douglas, etc. and of course included All-Stars own features such as the Delta Flex Harness and System Seven padding.

I've worn the CP throughout the summer season, and I'm pleased to report that it is working extremely well. It is light, fits me perfectly, and is extremely quick and easy to put on. The chest protector is easily the best fitting and most comfortable CP that I've worn. The buckle style straps are easy to manage, and, with the Delta Flex harness, the slippage problem commonly found in some other brands is virtually nonexistent. It features excellent protection in the shoulder and chest area, and, as a result of the secure, slip-free fit, the CPU 4000 offers great neckand collarbone coverage. In addition, the side flaps, while their value may be questionable to some, work well and seem quite comfortable for me, and, best of all do not hinder movement or require constant re-adjusting. Note that my comments on the side flaps refer to the prototype model and this feature was slated for further improvement prior to the release of the production models.

A big contributor to the fit factor is the inclusion of the same System Seven padding that All Star uses on their MVP line of helmets. The padding is both comfortable and moisture wicking. As in the MVP line, the padding on the CPU4000 is removable, washable,and replaceable. I assume replacement padding will be available at some point in the future.

In the final analysis, while perhaps not as bullet proof as the Wilson Gold, the outstanding fit and comfort of the CPU 4000 combined with the light weight, moisture management,and a lower profile makes this CP a winner all the way around.

As of this writing the CPU4000 has replaced my Wilson CPsas my #1 rig.

RE: Masks

I am also at this point using the FM2000 ump as my #1 mask. It is lightweight, and, has an excellent view window. I have modified the set up with the addition of Team Wendy pads rather than the standard LUC pads. The support bars below the view window, designed to create double bar strength in a single bar mask, create a little clutter below the main view window, but not enough to hinder the view in any meaningful way. This issue has been addressed in the design of the new FM4000.

I agree with Chris Hickman’s observation that the All-Star designs look somewhat like something that Belgard or Mizuno might design. As someone who has been tempted by the Japanese mask designs, and, who actually likes the spider style throat guard, (yes, I know, I’m a gear ho….) but has been put off by the lack of availability, the All-Star models offer a high quality, economical, and domestically available option.

• Like 1

To All:

I too have had the opportunity to wear the new All Star CPU4000 since late June. Nublue beat me to the pucnh and posted his review as I was writhing mine so some of the item will be redundant. Now that Brad has given to okay I can provide my observations. All of this is only my opinion and is given after about 12 games of use.

1. The CPU4000 is a great CP for those looking for a hard shell. It combines the level of protection of the WV Gold with the low profile of the Douglas. Because of the design and the way the panels support each other this CP fit me like a dream right out of the box. The panel sesign allows the CPU4000 to conform to the wearer's shape without modifications It fit very good at the neck and collar bone and provides excellent coverage there. The 12" model that I have is almost exactly the same demensions as my WV Gold (M/L) and my 13" Douglas. The CP4000's profile allows for better head mobility and vision when/if you need to look down.

2. The CPU4000 is built with padding that is 100% removable and washable. I would imagine that this will be available later on as a replacement part from All Star. There is a padding gap down the middle of the unit. This 2" gap serves as an air channel. I was skeptical at first. Then I wore this rig for two plates on consectutive days that were in +90 degree temps with humidity in the 80% range. I was more comfortable than I would have thought and I became a believer. It was so apparent that in one game my partner asked why I seemed to be so cool and the next games it was the fans asking the same question.

3. The CPU4000 has a Delta Flex harness. This harness is amazing. I have yet to have to hitch this CP up. You adjust it once and it stays put. It moves with you and never feels like you are wearing anythng but a shirt. This is one of my favorite parts of this CP.

4. As it was noted there are a few rivets (34 or so). I had this as an early concern too. They are stainless steel and will not rust. I suppose you could paint them. I have worn all colors of shirts and the rivets do not "bleed' through.

5. The shoulder caps are fine and provide good coverage without looking like a linebacker. There is an added gap plate between the CP body and the shoulder cap. They are adjustable so it may take some fine tuning to get them to your liking.

6. I am not sure of the weight of this rig. It seems noticably lighter than my WV Gold and a little heavier than the Douglas. Maybe this Winter I will take them all to my local post office and get them on thier scale.

7. There are some side wings that are removeable via velcro. The WV Gold has more substainal ones and the Douglas has none. on the CPU4000 these are not armored with plates like the WV. They do not get in the way and if you do not like them they can be gone quickly with out a lot of fuss. I have heard that a lot of people remove these from the Gold. Mine are still on.

8. For the important part, does this do what it is supposed to do? To date, I have taken 3 decent shots with this CP. All of them foul balls in games where the pitchers were throwing high 70's to low 80's. I got one on the left shoulder cap, one on the mid right chest and one in the right colar bone area. In all cases the CP4000 protected me from the impact. Between the padding and the plates they took all of the force.

I am sure I have left out some details so if there is something you would like to know please let me know.

I would like to thank Brad Jurga and All Star Sports for allowing me to be a part of this process. It was enlightening to watch something go from concept to prototype to market. Brad and his crew really listened and tried to incorporate a lot of great ideas into a new model that should fit in to the market as an alternative to the present stock. If you are in the market for a hardshell I would suggest that you look closely at this model.

Also, I do believe that there are some matching shin guards in the works.