Game count this year?

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 678 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

April 16th to June 18th

38 games.  I swear it felt like double that.  I do know I had 5 or so rain or team cancelled.  So I could have been as high as 43.  Plus I took a couple weekends off to head out to the island. Probably gave up 4 games during that time too,.. 

So maybe as high as 48 over 64 days but I ended only doing 38 in 64 days.  Some how I feel disappointed in that.

Well look back If I take out all the Sundays too there are 9 of them so that's 55 days  so 38 games in 55 days.  Meh that still feels mediocre.  DAMN!

rookie-numbers.gif.a691fe47a87b32fcdcb06c81f8335306.gif

• ArchAngel72 changed the title to Game count this year?
8 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

You getting an award for most games or something?!  You have some quote you need to meet in order to be considered "good"? :HS 

No I feel I could have done more games...  kinda irritated with myself.

I pushed hard at 1st to try and make sure I did not get hurt by doing too many

I look back at that thought and think well that was dumb...

Still got AS action coming  up in July and well I hope to be called for some Pool play stuff with the local AS games.   We shall see though.

That and I am curious how others are stacking up this year.

I know my #'s will probably be low but I am still curious...

5 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

No I feel I could have done more games...  kinda irritated with myself.

I pushed hard at 1st to try and make sure I did not get hurt by doing too many

I look back at that thought and think well that was dumb...

Still got AS action coming  up in July and well I hope to be called for some Pool play stuff with the local AS games.   We shall see though.

That and I am curious how others are stacking up this year.

I know my #'s will probably be low but I am still curious...

it's all relative.  There will be times where you can't do games, it's just life.  Quantity isn't/shouldn't be a factor

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

it's all relative.  There will be times where you can't do games, it's just life.  Quantity isn't/shouldn't be a factor

Well with the given umpire shortage I kinda feel it is.

I had several coaches tell me in the new area I was in that THEY had to call games several times this year and or dragged out their HS kid to.

@ArchAngel72 I used to keep a game count, and I'm pretty sure there are a few sig lines around here where people keep a running total.  A few years I was at the 200 mark.  Now, I don't count.

As I've gotten a little older, I realized that doing it all the time has diminishing rewards.  When I started, I wanted those 12-16 game weekends.  Now, I'm very content with 4 to 6 (maybe 8 in three-day weekend series) higher level games in a weekend and taking a few weekends off altogether.  A few weekends ago I pulled my first 8-straight day in a LONG time (the "relief" umpire never showed up) ... and told the assignor NEVER again.  Add the 100+ heat index to the plain physical and mental strain (sorry, even if you are physically alright, you are hot garbage mentally at that point) ... My 72-year old partner was even more upset over it. 

I like that you pointed out your effort to not call too many games in deference to health and well-being.  That is something that too many umpires do not pay enough attention to.  As @Thunderheads alluded to: quality over quantity.  That's tough when you are early in your career, since the only way to "practice" is to just do it.

• Like 1

9 Jan to 19 June:  115.   (The 9 Jan game was an outlier, time-wise)

That's just staying busy, as far as "days per week," versus games in a day.  I'm no longer the 5+ a day guy - I had 4 scheduled for two Saturdays ago, and ended up giving the 4th one back to the assignor, because I felt like hell.  And May/June here has been ..... "unseasonable," let's say.

• Like 1

I used to do a bunch of games .......40 plus high school, and then at least 40 plus tournament during June and July with a straggler tourney in August.   I stopped doing summer ball in 2017 when I had a death in the family, and that  'summer off' was very invigorating for me.  Haven't worked a game of summer ball since.    BUT, this year I'm going to grab a few games later in July, and a few in August.

I chose to just concentrate on high school and I've been happy with that.  It's just enough baseball without being too much.  Plus, I only work 3 days a week during the season.   Just not as important to me (game count) ...it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Did 95 games (49 HS & 46 college) from 2/4 to 5/21 this season after retiring from my teaching career @ end of 2021-22 school year & despite moving to 2 new HS associations in TN & MS in my chosen new home area,  My college ball affiliations did not change.

I confirmed what my 1st assigner told me once before:   "Sometimes your best ability is your availability".  How true!

I had swore off doing summer games anymore in my part of W.TN but when PG facility in our area started throwing around $110 for HS aged games I had to jump on a few.  Have done 15 so far.  Big 4-day, 10 game weekend coming up then it's time to call it a year & start enjoying the fruits of a very busy season

• Like 1

I've hit 59 games so far, 1st game was 4/23, most recent was last night.  Vast majority of those are through the weekend tourneys (where I'll do 1 day on a weekend), with some local league games otherwise.

A part of me is looking forward for the league season to end to get more nights with my family.  Total income so far (including unpaid!) is $3535, so an average of $60/game, though I get anywhere from 55 (10U) to $85 (solo adult league, solo 14U is $80).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Did you have your Navy Blue's in the car just in case you were needed?

LOL...no. (I think they work black for every game except 1 or 2 where they wore light blue)

Where I worked was the entrance to the field level on the 3rd base side.
Besides the team entering/exiting, I check credentials and verify that only NCAA/CWS /ESPN credentialed staff are coming down.   I get the color guard before the game, the umpires also enter and exit, we only allow NCAA/team/ESPN media in this area, trainers/medical staff, and various in-game promotions come through.

There's also a police officer stationed with me.   If there's something going on in the crowd that doesn't need immediate attention we call for other security to handle.

The funny things I have to handle is the never ending kids (and adults) that come down to ask the ball girls for baseballs and to ask (sometimes yell) for people to stay off the dugout roof.

This was my 11th CWS at the new park since it opened...I missed last year and obviously the 2020 year when it was cancelled.

I do get to talk to the umpires that aren't working if they come down to my area.

• Like 1