Talk me off the ledge…

SCRookie
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 733 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So here’s the deal. I’m a new umpire, less than a year. I’ve worked mainly 12U, and have had pretty good success and no major problems.

Today I worked my first 50/70 game. Wow…what a difference. Let’s just say that I didn’t make friends with one of the coaches.

First off, working inside was weird. I found myself situationally unaware a couple times…luckily those times didn’t lead to problems. However I had two situations at 3rd where the 3rd base coach was livid. Both were tags on the slide, and I called both out. That is simply how I saw it. The second one had the kid returning safely on a pick-off attempt, and then he gets up and immediately leads off * while the 3rd baseman still has the ball.* I had him out on the tag milliseconds before he got back on the bag. Coach was super pissed and commented “that’s the second one you missed.”

So now I’m a little miffed. But I let it go.

A bit later, I’m slightly in the wrong place at the wrong time and I get in the way a little bit from a throw from short to first. I have to lean a little, but they make the play just fine. Again, first time working inside and honestly it’s just weird, and yes, I most likely was not in a great position. The game felt really “fast” to me, being my first 50/70 game. The lead offs and steals were a new thing to deal with.

Coach calls time, and the proceeds to tell the PU to TELL ME to not get in the way and interfere. PU is a little speechless and now I’m getting a little bummed out…I tell him “If you have something to say to me, talk to me!” He reiterates it, but nicely. I let it go again. He seemed a little taken aback by my response.

Most of the game was fine except for these things, but it was enough that I left the field feeling really down.

Does anyone else have experiences feeling like you sucked in early games in your umpiring career? I absolutely love doing this, but it was defeating to get knocked down several pegs in one game. I’m a volunteer and I do it for love of the game. 

Thanks, all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SCRookie said:

Does anyone else have experiences feeling like you sucked in early games in your umpiring career?

With this modification I can certainly agree.

It was your first time 50/70 - which is a goofy field size to be inside on (especially if the players are any good). You'll learn positioning and angles. You're being curious and self aware - can't ask for more.

Coaches will be coaches so don't let them rent too much space inside your head.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SCRookie said:

Thank you for this, @Velho. I definitely want to keep doing this into my retirement, so a few words of encouragement to a rookie go a long way. 

Just gotta keep working at your craft. You should take coaches compliments and criticism with a grain of salt.  Chin up.

• Like 2

Try to work with more experienced umpires (request with assignor) and only care what they have to say, forget the coaches.

Comments from 12u daddy-ball coaches should mean as much to you as a moldy loaf of bread. Unless you’re doing a science experiment, it’s nothing but a trash can filler.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

Try to work with more experienced umpires (request with assignor) and only care what they have to say, forget the coaches.

Comments from 12u daddy-ball coaches should mean as much to you as a moldy loaf of bread. Unless you’re doing a science experiment, it’s nothing but a trash can filler.

This is great, thanks! I actually am in the process of trying to schedule games with one of the umpires that inspired me to get into this. He’s the UIC and incredibly great at his craft. 

Funny, once or twice a year I'm, asked to volunteer for a LL game and I hate being outside.

Commit to learning continuesly and giving your best effort every time out. If you keep those two promises to yourself, anything that anyone other than your partner has to say won't effect you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

Funny, once or twice a year I'm, asked to volunteer for a LL game and I hate being outside.

Commit to learning continuesly and giving your best effort every time out. If you keep those two promises to yourself, anything that anyone other than your partner has to say won't effect you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think the “being outside” thing was less daunting than the sum of all the new complications added by this division. The kids didn’t seem used to having the freedom of stealing and leading, and did all sorts of weird, janky things that took me by surprise. Not their fault, it’s mine for not being ready for it. 

At this point, I’m all in on this and have to be fully committed to getting better.

12 hours ago, SCRookie said:

So here’s the deal. I’m a new umpire, less than a year. I’ve worked mainly 12U, and have had pretty good success and no major problems.

Today I worked my first 50/70 game. Wow…what a difference. Let’s just say that I didn’t make friends with one of the coaches.

First off, working inside was weird. I found myself situationally unaware a couple times…luckily those times didn’t lead to problems. However I had two situations at 3rd where the 3rd base coach was livid. Both were tags on the slide, and I called both out. That is simply how I saw it. The second one had the kid returning safely on a pick-off attempt, and then he gets up and immediately leads off * while the 3rd baseman still has the ball.* I had him out on the tag milliseconds before he got back on the bag. Coach was super pissed and commented “that’s the second one you missed.”

A bit later, I’m slightly in the wrong place at the wrong time and I get in the way a little bit from a throw from short to first. I have to lean a little, but they make the play just fine. Again, first time working inside and honestly it’s just weird, and yes, I most likely was not in a great position. The game felt really “fast” to me, being my first 50/70 game. The lead offs and steals were a new thing to deal with.

Coach calls time, and the proceeds to tell the PU to TELL ME to not get in the way and interfere. PU is a little speechless and now I’m getting a little bummed out…I tell him “If you have something to say to me, talk to me!” He reiterates it, but nicely. I let it go again. He seemed a little taken aback by my response.

Most of the game was fine except for these things, but it was enough that I left the field feeling really down.

Does anyone else have experiences feeling like you sucked in early games in your umpiring career? I absolutely love doing this, but it was defeating to get knocked down several pegs in one game. I’m a volunteer and I do it for love of the game. 

Thanks, all.

I am UIC for a LL that does 50/70.  First of all, thanks for volunteering.

One thing I always tell our new trainees is that that fifth game will go better than their first and their 15th game will go better than their 5th.  Hang in there; it will start to come.

It took me a couple of seasons to really get the feel for clearing the shortstop's lanes.  I've ended up on the slope of the mound a bit, which makes for an interesting pivot for the play at 1st, but oh well.  It's so much more compressed than the 90' diamond.

I would remind you that counting calls ("That's the second one you missed") is a good reason to send a coach home. See if your game doesn't get better when you do.

And remember, you're working on your craft; the coach isn't.  (And they may not be working on their own craft, either.) Focus on what your partners have for you, and what you have for yourself, but don't sweat the coaches.

And have fun out there!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevis said:

I am UIC for a LL that does 50/70.  First of all, thanks for volunteering.

One thing I always tell our new trainees is that that fifth game will go better than their first and their 15th game will go better than their 5th.  Hang in there; it will start to come.

It took me a couple of seasons to really get the feel for clearing the shortstop's lanes.  I've ended up on the slope of the mound a bit, which makes for an interesting pivot for the play at 1st, but oh well.  It's so much more compressed than the 90' diamond.

I would remind you that counting calls ("That's the second one you missed") is a good reason to send a coach home. See if your game doesn't get better when you do.

And remember, you're working on your craft; the coach isn't.  (And they may not be working on their own craft, either.) Focus on what your partners have for you, and what you have for yourself, but don't sweat the coaches.

And have fun out there!

Thanks, brother. I spoke to the UIC and we're aiming to work a game together soon. Like you, he also said that was an ejection-worthy comment. Once I build up a little more confidence on that diamond, the thumb is going to get a little quicker.

I’d probably need more than all the fingers on one hand to count the times my first 3 years where I thought, “Screw this, I’ve had enough, this is bullSH*#, I’m most certainly not having any fun, and I’m listing my gear on ebay as soon as I get home!” I think this is now the start of my 12th year.

One thing that always helped me (and still helps me) is having a mentor or brother in arms accessible by cell phone to go over tough games and talk about controversial situations. There’s a reason there’s a bar in our town where umpires drop in on Wednesdays after games to talk, share, and bond. 

To this day, I still walk off the field and confess, “Dang, I guess I’ll have to wait until at least tomorrow to have my 1st perfect game.”  And I’m still having fun!  Mostly. LoL 😂😂

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Recontra said:

“Dang, I guess I’ll have to wait until at least tomorrow to have my 1st perfect game.”

I'm stealing the sh*it out of that quote! It aligns nicely with one of my sayings "We pursue perfection not because we can achieve it but because the pursuit is where we find excellence and meaning"

• Like 2

@RecontraWow, the "I'm listing all my gear on ebay" comment is *exactly* what I was thinking after that game, at least for a good 10 minutes anyway. The last time I thought that was a men's softball game I umpired that was off the charts insane. I scoped out the parking lot before making a bee-line to my car that day.

I wish we had an umpire bar in town...that sounds like the best therapy ever.

23 hours ago, SCRookie said:

First off, working inside was weird. I found myself situationally unaware a couple times…

Hate to break it you, but working outside is actually more weird, and unnatural. That ain’t baseball. It’s kiddie-ball. Splashing around in a backyard kiddie pool ain’t swimming (but the potential to drown in a kiddie pool or in the ocean is the same, granted). 

When you say “situationally unaware”, can you be more specific? As in, you don’t know what the count is? You’re unaware of where to go if __________ happens? Or you’re unaware of what’s going on at 1B / 2B / 3B pre-pitch, essentially, behind you? 

Simple: 1) As BU, you’re not responsible for the count. It should be something we’re aware of, but we’re not expected to. If a fielder or runner ever asks me, and I’m unsure, I simply reply, “Let’s ask him [PU].” And we do; 2) As a BU, all movements are based off an elaborate logic / Boolean tree – If {this happens}, then {do this}; if {this happens}, else {do this}, etc. etc. Umpires learn, thru productive and effective repetition, what these (re)actions are such that they become second nature. You’ll get there, so long as you learn the “proper”, fundamental methods to adopt; 3) You gotta get past this. Focusing on where the ball is is vastly more important than watching how Runners lead off, how fielders are (re)positioning themselves, and whether or not a F3 is “properly” in fair territory when holding on a R1 (this is just a contentious example). The ball will take you where your focus needs to be; the only exception to this, as BU, is once you know the location of the ball (ie. in the outfield being fielded, or being chased down on an overthrow), you need to watch Runners’ touches of Bases that are your responsibility. 

You’ll find that, especially on a 50-70 ball field, that you don’t have to move very much, or, to be more accurate, you don’t have to cover great distance in your movements. So as to not appear lazy, new umpires tend to overdo it… until they get themselves in the path of a throw or players themselves. I’d advise to keep yourself safe by being better prepared. Go hands-on-knees ready-stance as often as possible, and then take an effective read or drop step (singular) to put you into an ideal angle to read the ball further. 

On 4/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, SCRookie said:

However I had two situations at 3rd where the 3rd base coach was livid. Both were tags on the slide, and I called both out. That is simply how I saw it.

Where was your Initial Position (IP) on these two plays? On one of them, you mentioned it was a backpick, meaning that you have R3. Unless you have a R1-R3 situation, you shall be in C (third-base side of the infield). Don’t pay any attention to anyone else you hear from, watch, or get “advice” from… they’re wrong. With R3 (and no R1) you are in C, period. Doesn’t matter if there are 0 outs or 2 outs. By being in C (already), you are in a _much_ better position to not only see the play at 3B, but you are able to sell (ie. “convince”) the call to the participants. Now, if the situation was different, and the play took you there, then the trick is to get into the best position to see the components of the play (ball, hands, base, foot, tag, et. al.), slow your processing down, then emphatically make the call. Speed / rapidity is not a virtue here. 

• Like 2

I'd like to address a few things in the actual play here....  My responses will be in colour.  The encouragement part comes at the end.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, SCRookie said:

*In MY opinion* - mileages across the site may vary - you get rid of the 3B coach at that moment.  My argument being:  "personal, prolonged, profane."  Doing the "that's X" is prolonged arguing, the way I see it.  And to back that up, I have in fact gotten rid of a coach in that age-range when I was working solo behind the mound (at the requirement of the league), and I had two foul calls on sharply hit balls.  He made the comment, I launched him.

PU should have probably told the coach, in some form or fashion, to go away and/or mind his own damn business.  But I have to say, I like your calling him out.  After he reiterated, maybe "thanks for the career advice, coach, but I got it," with the appropriate sarcasm.  Bear in mind, I'm the sarcastic type - but even if you wouldn't go further, that kind of verbal smack on the nose might be necessary.

Hang in there, man.

I'd love to tell you there's some magic threshold, where you'll never feel bad like that after a game.

I'd be wrong.

To wit:  it's getting near HS playoff time here in Texas (last week of the regular season starts tomorrow).  Some teams are *really* loaded and/or the other teams in their district offer them no real competition, especially if the school has ambitions to make a long run.  So yesterday, just outside of San Antonio, where I live, a team from Corpus Christi and a team from Waco played on a neutral site.  I'm told if they meet in the state tourney, it would be basically at the end - I guess they're in opposite brackets.  (I know less about how it all works than maybe I should.)  The Corpus team is ranked top-10 in the state by MaxPreps, and supposedly have nine players in the top-50.  The Waco guys didn't have quite that pedigree, but they're good.  So the intensity was gonna be there.  I got assigned to it, and was told to take the plate.

Top-2, I called a pitch down.  It may have been the first borderline pitch, but I'm not sure.  The D coach, when the catcher told him, yelled - not commented, but *hollered* - "THAT WAS NOT LOW!", along with something like "get it together," or something otherwise equally 'encouraging.'  My first thought?  "Welp, honeymoon's over."

I won't completely admit to being rattled, but that began a 2 or 3 inning stretch, where both sides decided to offer their opinion on pitches.  Mostly low ones - and I WILL admit that I was having some issues there, with what was down and what was painting the knees.  But then, because they'd determined arguing ONE side of the zone was fun, griping about the inside would be TWICE as much fun.  It felt a little like I was drowning for a while.

Two things helped.  One, I got into it a little with the home coach when his guys were batting, since the pitcher was trying to work fast, and it was causing issues.  It basically ended when I just gave him the hand-up and the "THAT'S ENOUGH!"  Also, around that time, I just said to myself "f--k these f--king guys, and all their f--king bulls--t" - and the healing began.

Anyway, the point of that long story is that:  I've worked 1500+ games, in three countries, over 20 years.  And I had a humbling experience.  My assignor even said the host school's coach gave me a good review, so I might even have done well in the cold light of day.  But I still left there feeling like hell, and it took three margaritas at a neighbors house to start feeling better.  So it's not just an "early career" deal.

There are games that will suck.  Some will be something you do;  some will be bad luck;  some will be coaches/players that suck/don't know what they're doing/wouldn't know a rule if it bit 'em on the ass.  Some will be combinations of all of the above.  The goal is to minimize those numbers.

But hang in there, and keep working hard.  Every new level looks faster at first, but experience helps slow it down.

(Also:  stop volunteering.  Your time has value.  Your skills/experience will have value, as you grow.  I know I'll never make a proper living just umpiring, but I choose not to do it for free.)

• Like 5

On 4/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, SCRookie said:

commented “that’s the second one you missed.”

I can send you home, and you won't have to watch me "miss" any more.

Our little league had a policy that coaches needed to umpire other's games. That era of coaches didn't argue with umpires. Since each team had 3 coaches, they could almost always find one of them to work a game. 2 umpires on the field, from 2 different teams. If you wanted to coach, you needed to give 2 hours extra every other week. 

Our district required a volunteer from each team to work the bases for the 8-10 year old playoff games. I got asked to work some of the 9-11 games. That got me hooked 6 years ago. I've been working mostly youth, but this year I'm moving up to HS games and probably some men's games. Because of the shortage, I find myself working many games myself, so when I find myself working with a partner, it's very difficult to remember correct rotations. It takes a ton of reps to be really good at this. I feel like I've barely just begun. 

This weekend, I worked a double-header with a partner. I felt completely lost out there, like I was always in the wrong spot. After the game, my partner and evaluator gave me a couple minor tips but thought I did pretty good. Especially coming off of a double-header in the morning by myself. 

7 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

(Also:  stop volunteering.  Your time has value.  Your skills/experience will have value, as you grow.  I know I'll never make a proper living just umpiring, but I choose not to do it for free.)

Or course it has value.  So does (most) everything one donates.  And it is absolutely critical, as a volunteer, to make sure that time is used well and respected (e.g. if the coaches aren't held to account for their abuse, stop giving that org your gift.)

I don't begrudge your (or anyone's) choice not to volunteer your services one bit.  I'm doing so as my part of being involved in my community, and to scratch my itch to do something unselfish (while selfishly choosing an activity that I enjoy anyway.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevis said:

I don't begrudge your (or anyone's) choice not to volunteer your services one bit.  I'm doing so as my part of being involved in my community, and to scratch my itch to do something unselfish (while selfishly choosing an activity that I enjoy anyway.) 

I get that.  I do other things, in other places, to check that box.  MY logic ('logic' possibly being used loosely here) is that I'd prefer not to do something for a community while also being considered the enemy, or at least The Bad Guy.  I can't speak to other places, but I work games in three different 'house leagues' right now - all of which are LL affiliates - and all of them pay their umpires.

• Like 1

There's some GREAT ADVICE here within this thread!  I'd like to add 2 short things.  Check to see if there's a clinic you can attend where you can fine tune working 'inside' the diamond.  You'll get there, ... lots of good stuff from @MadMax in his response.

Also, ... ALWAYS ADDRESS any comment from a coach like "That's 2 you've missed"... NEVER let that go!  "We aren't counting today (insert coaches name here), ... don't do that" ... or finish with "that's enough".   Comments like that from a coach can escalate quickly, ...shut it down immediately.

Don't get discouraged ,... slow the game down, ... let the ball take you to the plays!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

ALWAYS ADDRESS any comment from a coach like "That's 2 you've missed"... NEVER let that go! 

These b.s. comments (that I need to address better when they happen) always make me want to retort "it's better than the 6 coaching mistakes you've made so far".

Makes me recall one from my last games at PU: 12U, this one batter is so mixed up in his head on the zone he doesn't know what is what. Got rung up on an outside pitch earlier in the game. Next AB, 2 strike count this, outside pitch batter thinks is a strike that I ball. DHC "he was walking to the dugout!" I looked over and asked "do you want me to let him decide which pitches are balls too?" They got quiet on that. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Also, around that time, I just said to myself "f--k these f--king guys, and all their f--king bulls--t" - and the healing began.

That's been my philosophy for a while now. For basically a minimum wage job I don't take any crap, and for free, I take even less. I give it right back to the coaches, in a more diplomatic way, but basically calling them out.

If a coach comes out and tries to berate me, I just treat him like a 2 year old and flat out tell him to not talk to me that way. It's amazing how that works as they get this deer in the headlights look because they are just used to umpires rolling over to what they want. I'll set the tone for the conversation, and if they don't like it, they can discuss it all on their own in the parking lot.

I refuse to be a whipping boy for anyone. These people think they can get away with abusing us because we let it happen.

• Like 1

50/70 is indeed and odd field and odd age group to be playing inside on and if it is anything like our local 50/70 field it started life as a 60 ft diamond and they just moved the bases, Which makes it even more screwy.   I find being inside there really nerve wracking until my partner pointed out the field original dimensions and told me move 2 steps back off the grass in the dirt.

Yep that actually made  world of difference to me in felt comfort.

As for the coach that 2nd comment I would have issued him a warning for arguing calls and told him to stay on the bench for the rest of the game.

That is not proper sportsmanship for Little League. Nip it in the bud FAST.

6 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

As for the coach that 2nd comment I would have issued him a warning for arguing calls and told him to stay on the bench for the rest of the game.

That is not proper sportsmanship for Little League. Nip it in the bud FAST.

as @udbrky referenced in this thread, Steratore shared how he handles things. I'm ready with it for next time. ;) 

"Gene Steratore on the Pat McAfee show last week said what he'd say to a college coach: "What you're doing right now, it's not good for the game. We're held accountable for that. If you continue to cross it, I'm not really whacking you, you're whacking yourself.""

@MadMax Thanks for the advice. It's massively helpful. I know that working inside is the real deal, but if you've only ever swam in the kiddie pool, real or not, that first jump in the ocean is going to be a little crazy. And I guess it was for me. 

I tried to remind myself that out of 7 innings, I had 3 cases where something went screwy, but only 1 of them was absolutely my fault, which was getting in the way of that throw.

I have always taken C when I've got anything other than no runners or a runner on 1st only. Everything else, I go to C.

Now, staying where I should be...that was probably my failure.

One thing you mentioned that really struck a chord with me was how new umpires tend to scramble around and move too much to appear that they're hustling. You nailed it there. That is exactly what I was doing. It is indeed just a lack of experience on my part, and it was what I was doing, 100%. 

Thanks again for this...I re-read it a few times and took notes!

• Like 1