New All-Star Gear

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1067 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, kylejt said:

Oh, and another feature I like on my S7 is the dip on either side that just covers my last rib. That's a great design feature, if it fits you right, as mine does.

As a bigger guy I love that dip that covers the last rib.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:19 AM, Thunderheads said:

Well .... the pic must be of a prototype according to @JimKirk ...as he stated production hasn't started yet.  So, the photo, and the one Dax has on the video that's posted are probably one in the same.   I'm trying to verify w/ Brad @ All Star, but ...nothing yet ..........

According to Out West the products are the final product.

4 hours ago, AtlUmp said:

As a bigger guy I love that dip that covers the last rib.

That was a really unique idea that I really liked. But I hated the neck opening.

2 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Please see my original post.

An All Star rep that I have been in contact has said the same. That there are changes that have happened that Dax was not aware of. 

6 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

That was a really unique idea that I really liked. But I hated the neck opening.

An All Star rep that I have been in contact has said the same. That there are changes that have happened that Dax was not aware of. 

So is the OutWest deal a deal because the $125 will be for the prototypes, or do you think they'll be for the final versions? Not worth saving $40-50 IMO if that's the case - not saying it is - I don't know how this works.

Please see my original post.

Any comment on whether it's better to grab up the current CPU4000 on umpattire.com, or wait for the new Cobalt model?  Or do you need to take the fifth? :)

7 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

So is the OutWest deal a deal because the $125 will be for the prototypes, or do you think they'll be for the final versions? Not worth saving $40-50 IMO if that's the case - not saying it is - I don't know how this works.

I'm not part of that information circle. So I cant help you there. Sorry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Any comment on whether it's better to grab up the current CPU4000 on umpattire.com, or wait for the new Cobalt model?  Or do you need to take the fifth? :)

I really, really like my CPU4000 for a few reasons.

Removable, washable pads. Plus, ump-attire has replacement pads on sale right now for $10. 

If fits me like a glove. Those dips on either side just covers my last rib. 

The one piece that attaches to the breast plate, and goes over the top of the shoulder, is to me a superior design for protection. The Platinum and the new Diamond are the only other ones that offer this type collar bone protection. This is the one thing the new Cobalt doesn't include, that I wish it did. 

I love the one huge plate in the middle. Remember how the Davishield had a bunch of little plates, and that didn't work for disbursing energy? This is the opposite. This thing is #$%ing bullet proof. Plus the shoulder plates are attached to the big center plate, adding to the rigidity. 

So I believe the CPU4000 is the best protecting chest protector to date. It's down side is that it's a bit bulky compared to some others, especially if either size doesn't fit you well. For me, it fits like a glove. Some folks with bigger noggins will have a tough time fitting it through the neck opening, though. But once on, and with a great harness, mine just snugs up to the bottom of my neck like no other. 

CPU4000_s.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kylejt said:

I really, really like my CPU4000 for a few reasons.

Removable, washable pads. Plus, ump-attire has replacement pads on sale right now for $10. 

If fits me like a glove. Those dips on either side just covers my last rib. 

The one piece that attaches to the breast plate, and goes over the top of the shoulder, is to me a superior design for protection. The Platinum and the new Diamond are the only other ones that offer this type collar bone protection. This is the one thing the new Cobalt doesn't include, that I wish it did. 

I love the one huge plate in the middle. Remember how the Davishield had a bunch of little plates, and that didn't work for disbursing energy? This is the opposite. This thing is #$%ing bullet proof. Plus the shoulder plates are attached to the big center plate, adding to the rigidity. 

So I believe the CPU4000 is the best protecting chest protector to date. It's down side it that it's a bit bulky compared to some others, especially if either size doesn't fit you well. For me, it fits like a glove. Some folks with bigger noggins will have a tough time fitting it through the neck opening, though. But once on, and with a great harness, mine just snugs up to the bottom of my neck like no other. 

I wonder what the improvements are (if any) with the new Cobalt model?  It actually seems to have less plating than the CPU4000.  Man, now an even tougher decision, which to get?! :)

13 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Consider ordering the cpu4000 and send it back on us if you don’t like it. However, we have stock that should last another few months, so you’re in no hurry unless you do need something right away. If you don’t you could wait until all the information comes out on the COBALT or end up ordering both and sending back the one you choose not to keep.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I wonder what the improvements are (if any) with the new Cobalt model?  It actually seems to have less plating than the CPU4000.  Man, now an even tougher decision, which to get?! :)

The 4000 and 5000 will definitely be very different. Can’t wait to share when it’s finalized, and we are given the official go-ahead from All-Star.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 4000 and 5000 will definitely be very different. Can’t wait to share when it’s finalized, and we are given the official go-ahead from All-Star.

Cant wait. Hopefully there are vhanged to the photo of the shins we saw on the brief FB post on the UL page.

4 hours ago, JimKirk said:

"Very different" !!! now I'm even more confused.  Maybe I'll just wait to compare the two then - I don't mind buying once and crying once if the new one is better.

8 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

OutWest has one prototype, probably given to them by All Star as an example of what's coming.   The deal is for the final approved product from All Star once production goes forward.   The deal is still very good.   You have to remember this isn't about OutWest  - but rather about All Star is who is making the product.  They're only going to allow their fully approved CP's to be shipped and sold.  There's no way they'd allow a sub-standard, non-approved CP to be sold by one of their suppliers.

I got to use this CP in a game a few days ago. It fit me very well around the torso and shoulders. It is low profile and protective. I took off the gap plates and just shortened up the shoulder caps which was a nice fit with no openings for a ball to find me, based on my shoulder size.  I left the bottom extension on but I'd remove it were it my CP.  I took two shots, one to the lower part of the CP and one on the shoulder. First was a pitch that bounced up and the other was a foul ball off the bat to the shoulder. Neither were extreme shots but the CP reacted well and I felt nothing but the pressure. I really like the plastic plates, especially the breast plate.  It's already curved a bit so it fit me well across the front. I don't need another CP but I pre-orderd this one from Out West because I liked it and it's a killer price. 

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

AS4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FireEye said:

I got to use this CP in a game a few days ago. It fit me very well around the torso and shoulders. It is low profile and protective. I took off the gap plates and just shortened up the shoulder caps which was a nice fit with no openings for a ball to find me, based on my shoulder size.  I left the bottom extension on but I'd remove it were it my CP.  I took two shots, one to the lower part of the CP and one on the shoulder. First was a pitch that bounced up and the other was a foul ball off the bat to the shoulder. Neither were extreme shots but the CP reacted well and I felt nothing but the pressure. I really like the plastic plates, especially the breast plate.  It's already curved a bit so it fit me well across the front. I don't need another CP but I pre-orderd this one from Out West because I liked it and it's a killer price. 

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

AS4.jpg

Nice! How does the extension work? It looks like there are attached plates that go over the extra pad.

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Nice! How does the extension work? It looks like there are attached plates that go over the extra pad.

I think Dax mentioned in the video that you have to unscrew some of the rivets (Chicago screws), and if you look at the picture you can see the bottom rivets of the middle section of plates is different from the rest. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, Thunderheads said:

B_I_N_G_O!

@Thunderheads @wolfe_man Update from All-Star, very much intentional as it protects from errant bats on the side, top, and back of the head. still meant to be worn bill forward, not an old photo. New update as well video wise after we met with All-Star yesterday on the updates and changes.

• Like 5

On 7/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, Rock Bottom said:

@Rock Bottom The $125 is purchase on the final version - see our recently released video. We met with All-Star, yes a couple adjustments but the one that customers will receive on the pre-order will be the latest version that they finalize. That pricing lasts until July 31, hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

• Like 6