New All-Star Gear

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

I'm waiting until the production models come down the pike. not just pictures of what it might look like. 

I did see a video where the person had the actual CP in his hands - whether it was a prototype or a production model is unknown.

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I did see a video where the person had the actual CP in his hands - whether it was a prototype or a production model is unknown.

That same company ended up putting out a second video saying that the one the showed was still a work-in-progress model.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, DaxU_OutWestCrew said:

@Rock Bottom The $125 is purchase on the final version - see our recently released video. We met with All-Star, yes a couple adjustments but the one that customers will receive on the pre-order will be the latest version that they finalize. That pricing lasts until July 31, hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

I pulled the trigger on the chest protector.  Been using my current one since 2014? . I think so anyways.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, BT_Blue said:

That same company ended up putting out a second video saying that the one the showed was still a work-in-progress model.

Yeah, so they want to you to plunk down money for what they think will be the final product. Ah, no. I'll wait 'til someone gets the final product in hand, and I know what I'm buying into. I already see two things I'm not too keen on, and hope they'll be altered before so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

I'm going to wait to see exactly what gets changed. I see one deal-breaker for me as pictured. 

Right now, it has to be $150 better than my S7. 

What is the deal breaker?

5 hours ago, kylejt said:

Yeah, so they want to you to plunk down money for what they think will be the final product. Ah, no. I'll wait 'til someone gets the final product in hand, and I know what I'm buying into. I already see two things I'm not too keen on, and hope they'll be altered before so. 

You will be buying the final product, not a prototype.  What don't you like about it?

Plastic buckles in the front, on top of plastic plates. One blast there and your protection is disabled.

Why was that even a thought on the demo? It has me leery of other design flaws I don't see. 

And hopefully the buckles are easily replaceable, like that ones on military backpacks. 

Not knowing what changes are going to be made is what I don't like. 
Of course the buckle placement make no sense whatsoever. 

That was the first thing I noticed. Putting them in front might make it a tad bit easier to put on, but they would shatter if they got hit.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, FireEye said:

I got to use this CP in a game a few days ago. It fit me very well around the torso and shoulders. It is low profile and protective. I took off the gap plates and just shortened up the shoulder caps which was a nice fit with no openings for a ball to find me, based on my shoulder size.  I left the bottom extension on but I'd remove it were it my CP.  I took two shots, one to the lower part of the CP and one on the shoulder. First was a pitch that bounced up and the other was a foul ball off the bat to the shoulder. Neither were extreme shots but the CP reacted well and I felt nothing but the pressure. I really like the plastic plates, especially the breast plate.  It's already curved a bit so it fit me well across the front. I don't need another CP but I pre-orderd this one from Out West because I liked it and it's a killer price. 

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

AS4.jpg

Any issues with the location of the clips?

On 7/17/2020 at 7:03 PM, DaxU_OutWestCrew said:

@Rock Bottom The $125 is purchase on the final version - see our recently released video. We met with All-Star, yes a couple adjustments but the one that customers will receive on the pre-order will be the latest version that they finalize. That pricing lasts until July 31, hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

I don't need another CP but I just ordered this one.. Just cause I like what I'm hearing....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Guys, remember this is a prototype in the picture.  They are making changes still.  They've met with Jim @ Ump-Attire, and they have met with Dax @ OutWest and no doubt other suppliers as well.  All Star does its research and I have confidence they will fix the buckles... and more no doubt.

The “meeting” was All-Star calling and telling them not to pre-sale a product yet to be finished.

I know all details about the COBALT line, given we have been involved exclusively in the process from day 1 since LAST summer (including emails back and forth just today on updates).

We have been asked by All-Star to wait until the final version will be produced around mid-August to share full details.

This is what you do when you work WITH suppliers. See the golden rule.

Now OW has branded a product over 1 year and lots of money and time invested (of which they have O of either invested) as a CP with buckles in the wrong place. They doubled-down with a second video after All-Star asked them to stop and then a post was made here.

Major disservice to All-Star and just plain the wrong way you do things in the marketplace.

Technically, the product that is being “pre-sold” does NOT exist. (Doubly bad if those of you who “bought” have already had your cards charged. That only you would know). Credit card companies require no charges be made until items are shipped. See the golden rule there as well.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

The meeting with Outwest was a fabricated statement. The “meeting” was All-Star calling and telling them not to pre-sale a product yet to be finished.

I know all details about the COBALT line, given we have been involved exclusively in the process from day 1 since LAST summer (including emails back and forth just today on updates). I have been asked by All-Star to wait until the final version will be produced around mid-August to share full details.

This is what you do when you work WITH suppliers. See the golden rule.

Now Outwest has branded a product over 1 year and lots of money and time invested as a CP with buckles in the wrong place. They doubled-down with a second video after All-Star asked them to stop and then a post was made here.

Major disservice to All-Star and just plain the wrong way you do things in the marketplace.

Technically, the product that is being “pre-sold” does NOT exist. (Doubly bad if those of you who “bought” have already had your cards charged.) Credit card companies require no charges be made until items are shipped. See the golden rule there as well.

Touché!

And thank you for providing full disclosure.

I am disappointed in what Outwest is doing. I expected better from them. I believe in second chances, but now I’m seeing a pattern that troubles me.

I went back and removed all of my comments from this topic as I do not want to appear to be endorsing this type of behavior.

I will refrain from further comment on this subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:30 PM, grayhawk said:

That was the first thing I noticed. Putting them in front might make it a tad bit easier to put on, but they would shatter if they got hit.

Yup, unless they're metal, like Douglas and Wilson do it .......

56 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Yup, unless they're metal, like Douglas and Wilson do it .......

In which case instead of shattering, they get bent to the point that the latch won't go back into the buckle. Nope, still want them on the sides.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

In which case instead of shattering, they get bent to the point that the latch won't go back into the buckle. Nope, still want them on the sides.

Been using my Douglas for years and have never been hit right there.  Besides, when you have it refurbished, extras are always provided.  Extras should be kept in your 'bucket' regardless ......then you're good ;)

For me .... 'on the sides' doesn't make it fit as well as in front (but that's a personal preference) potatoe / potato :D 

Just now, Thunderheads said:

Been using my Douglas for years and have never been hit right there.  Besides, when you have it refurbished, extras are always provided.  Extras should be kept in your 'bucket' regardless ......then you're good ;)

For me .... 'on the sides' doesn't make it fit as well as in front (but that's a personal preference) potatoe / potato :D 

Don't the front buckles show through your shirt? That's one reason I hate t-hooks. You can always see them sticking out.

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Don't the front buckles show through your shirt? That's one reason I hate t-hooks. You can always see them sticking out.

LOL, Steve, .......I've never noticed! :D   Are you referring to the shine, or the 'bump' .... the metal t-hooks aren't very large as opposed to the plastic clips