Legal at bat?

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2955 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

16 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

Is she like two full steps out of the box?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The SB batter's box is four feet forward, not three like baseball. So her first step in still in and she hits the ball before the second foot hits the ground.

Looks legal.

The SB batter's box is four feet forward, not three like baseball. So her first step in still in and she hits the ball before the second foot hits the ground.

Looks legal.

Awe, didn't know that. Thanks.

I probably should learn those rules since I'm supposed to do HS this year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Looks legal.

Thanks. I could not tell the box size from the video views and wondered. I guess in hindsight I could have looked it up.   

In  real time very hard to tell if contact occurred with the foot off the ground IMO.

Most of the time, by the 2nd inning, the front line of the batters box (in softball) will have already been wiped out.  Intentional, hell yes.  As @Rich Ives indicated, they have an additional foot added to the front of their batters box.  they try to remove that line, especially for the slap hitters (generally lead off ,a lefty and the fastest girl in that school).  Besides, if you are watching the pitch, it will be pretty difficult (without slo-mo instant replay) to see the foot.  

On 3/28/2016 at 10:43 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Most of the time, by the 2nd inning, the front line of the batters box (in softball) will have already been wiped out.  Intentional, hell yes.  As @Rich Ives indicated, they have an additional foot added to the front of their batters box.  they try to remove that line, especially for the slap hitters (generally lead off ,a lefty and the fastest girl in that school).  Besides, if you are watching the pitch, it will be pretty difficult (without slo-mo instant replay) to see the foot.  

It's very difficult to get, no doubt.

12 hours ago, Out&UglyToo said:

The video from above and behind sure makes it look like she was out of the batters' box, 4 feet or not. Without the lines drawn, I doubt I would call it.

I strongly prefer to line the field properly, so I can call somebody out for stepping out. I like to line in the running lane from half way up the first base line to 3 feet outside first base. There are rules involving that, and I prefer to have the line than to not call a running lane violation when the line is not chalked. I like to line the coaches boxes. It ain't interference if he's in the box, it's then on the defense to clear him. Good lines make good rules.

Coaches boxes with lines do not prevent interference. The 45' line is generally easy to call without a line, as most of the outside the RL violations involve being on the inside of that line - that would be the foul line.

The video from above and behind sure makes it look like she was out of the batters' box, 4 feet or not. Without the lines drawn, I doubt I would call it.

I strongly prefer to line the field properly, so I can call somebody out for stepping out. I like to line in the running lane from half way up the first base line to 3 feet outside first base. There are rules involving that, and I prefer to have the line than to not call a running lane violation when the line is not chalked. I like to line the coaches boxes. It ain't interference if he's in the box, it's then on the defense to clear him. Good lines make good rules.