Pretty sure I botched it

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3214 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

State Utrip tournament, 13u A's. (outs don't matter) R1. Batter hits a grounder to F6 who is playing closer to third than second. F6 snags the ball and runs over second for the out. Instead of continuing forward (towards right field) from running momentum or stopping to throw to first, F6 does this crazy pivot thing and ends up behind second on the left field side. R1, who's now out by about a step, collides with F6 just on the back side of the bag. F6 never looked like he was trying to throw and I don't think a DP would have been possible. I also don't believe R1 had the collision on purpose. I made only the out call and didn't call interference but I'm wondering if I should have. Coach asked about it after the inning (two outs later) and I explained to him that since a double play wasn't possible and R1 was already out then there wasn't anything to call. He agreed and we played on. Game ended by run rule so the call didn't matter to the game but it matters to me. Did I get it right? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of the thread says you think you botched it.  What do you think you did wrong?

The way it sounds, you were correct in not rewarding the defense by giving them a cheap out.

I guess I was wondering if the collision stopped F6 from even trying for the out, would that have been enough? But now, reading back what I wrote, it's not and I'm sure I called it correctly. 

It's one of those plays that I'm over thinking and making it harder in my head than it really was. I did the same thing with balks until a few months into this season. I need to get out of my own head at times. 

What does the USSSA Force Play Slide Rule state?  I'd start there. Probably nothing but might be something depending on what that rule says. I don't work USSSA so I don't know. 

I guess I was wondering if the collision stopped F6 from even trying for the out, would that have been enough?

USSSA uses OBR. Runner has to something intentional to invoke the DP rule. Sounds like this collision was F6's doing.

It's one of those plays that I'm over thinking and making it harder in my head than it really was. I did the same thing with balks until a few months into this season. I need to get out of my own head at times. 

But you're thinking like an umpire...racking your brain for the correct rule to apply in that short period of time you have to decide something. I suspect that your baseball instinct took over (what is right) . Sometimes that will get you in trouble....especially if some rules geek is watching, but it worked here (as it does most times). And your rules knowledge will help you can handle the rat coach begging for something that he doesn't deserve.

What does the USSSA Force Play Slide Rule state?  I'd start there. Probably nothing but might be something depending on what that rule says. I don't work USSSA so I don't know. 

Even under FPSR, I've probably got nothing here. As I'm reading the OP, the runner tried to peel off to avoid where F6 would ordinarily go. Since F6 did something bizarre and took himself out of the play, there was a collision. I don't think I'd rule that contact illegal per FED 8-4-2b; and since the fielder took himself out of the play, the contact doesn't constitute hindrance.

If I saw it live (or on film), I might have something else; but in my mind's eye, that's what I see.

I guess I was wondering if the collision stopped F6 from even trying for the out, would that have been enough? But now, reading back what I wrote, it's not and I'm sure I called it correctly. 

I too have to get out of my own head at times.  It get's lonely when all you hear are voices.