Lloyd McClendon had a full-on meltdown last night

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3249 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Note how he tells Mike DiMuro at about the 54" mark, "You gotta call that yourself." I love the hypocrisy sometimes.

Edited by MikeSafari

Note how he tells Mike DiMuro at about the 54" mark, "You gotta call that yourself." I love the hypocrisy sometimes.

​Just what we talked about w/ the Harper situation.  He gets it himself and they'll argue that he needed to get help.

• Like 1

DiMuro had no choice but to "get help" as the catcher asked.  You can see the catch point down to first before DiMuro does so.  Just further points out the lack of rational thought.

It would be awesome if we could start tacking on base awards in the middle of an argument as it went on.

Coach:  "You gotta be kidding me!  That's a terrible cal!"

Me:  "Runner, take second."

Coach:  "You've been working against us all day!"

Me:  "Runner, take third."

Coach:  "Why don't you learn the rules?!"

Me:  "Runner, score."

Coach:  "Aaargh!  That's BS!"

Me:  "Coach, you're ejected."

• Like 3

DiMuro had no choice but to "get help" as the catcher asked.  You can see the catch point down to first before DiMuro does so.  Just further points out the lack of rational thought.

​I think McClendon's point was that DiMuro should have called it a swing even without the appeal. Apparently a denied check-swing appeal on Gardiner earlier in the inning was even more "egregious," and McClendon was just annoyed that he had two check swing appeals denied.

HIJACK ALERT

I know the FED's philosophy on going to BU, even in B or C, (they want you to do it!) but what do you guys think about being in C with a RH batter?    Do you just default to the PU's call or do you honestly give what you got?    I don't want to hear about how the PU shouldn't even go to you in C, it's a moot point when he points at you for your ruling. 

I used to be in the camp of default to PU's call.......but tonight, the PU really DID NOT see it and through post-game discussion, really wanted my honest assessment.   He came to me TWICE in the same game, which is 2 more times than I've EVER been asked in the C position, but I gave him what I had.   First one = no swing.  Second one = SWING!    And for me to call that from C, you could imagine how obvious it must have been.   I got no grief on either call from anyone. 

I'm just curious as to the general philosophy.     Thanks.

HIJACK ALERT

I know the FED's philosophy on going to BU, even in B or C, (they want you to do it!) but what do you guys think about being in C with a RH batter?    Do you just default to the PU's call or do you honestly give what you got?    I don't want to hear about how the PU shouldn't even go to you in C, it's a moot point when he points at you for your ruling. 

I used to be in the camp of default to PU's call.......but tonight, the PU really DID NOT see it and through post-game discussion, really wanted my honest assessment.   He came to me TWICE in the same game, which is 2 more times than I've EVER been asked in the C position, but I gave him what I had.   First one = no swing.  Second one = SWING!    And for me to call that from C, you could imagine how obvious it must have been.   I got no grief on either call from anyone. 

I'm just curious as to the general philosophy.     Thanks.

​Call it as you see it.  PU may have gotten screened by F2 or something.  Tuesday night I asked for help because the catcher stood up as the pitch was coming in and I couldn't see the batter.  Partner came up with the swing for me.  

Lloyd McClendon is the best damn thing to ever happen to Seattle baseball and if you try to tell me anything different than you're wrong because all Lloyd was trying to do was fire up his team, he just needed to motivate his players to get stuff done! AND THAT UMPIRE IS BLIND ANYWAYS!

Lloyd McClendon is the best damn thing to ever happen to Seattle baseball

​He's not even close to the best, behind Ichiro and the Big Unit.

If he were so great, they wouldn't be 8.5 games behind the Astros and looking at year 15 of not even sniffing a playoff appearance.