'Real' Jobs

maineump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4016 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Jobs?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your real job

• Professional field
    • Work in the trades
    • Self employed
    • Firefighter / Police Officer
    • Military
    • Umpiring is my real job
    • Other
    • Teacher
    • Retired

Police Officer, 18 years.

I think this is why I have very few issues with coaches.....

Dealing with someone when freedom or lives aren't on the line, is pretty stress free.

I love a nice relaxing baseball game on the field!

• Like 3

Technology Teacher at an Elementary School. I'm also Youth Choir director at my church. That limits me some during the Spring and Fall, but not too much. The bonus side is that I get the entire summer off so I can pretty much work wherever... and sleep in a little (lot?) longer during the day!

I'm a recruiter in the HR department for a mid-sized marketing company. Love the job and my games normally start around 6pm. None of the fields are more than 20 minutes away so I can make a quick escape at 5pm and make it to the field in plenty of time. Can't complain!

I retired about 17 years ago from Engineering dept of out telephone company. Now work part time in the winter and full time umpiring/assigning during the summer. Started umpiring in 1990. No problem getting to games. Most start around 6 PM.

I own a small retail local business which has it's pro's and con's.  It gives me alot of flexibility in schedule, but can leave me at odds when things have to be handled on the ground.

Being a single father also has it's demands, but a great supporting family makes it all go around.  In the end it has allowed me to pursue as much umpiring as possible, and give me the chance to advance by being available and able to travel for everything from Travel ball to college work.

I am a concert labor provider. I supply and supervise all types of live entertainment and corporate events. I also am a high steel rigger. It allows me a fair amount of flexibility in my schedule. Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a Field Service Technician for a natural gas compression company (I keep the gas moving so you guys stay warm in the winter). My hours SUCK for umpiring, only available on a few weekends a month, but my assignor understands and keeps on the field every weekend I'm available.

Retired this past September following 32 years of law enforcement.  My job duties as a lieutenant (plus a very good boss) allowed me to leave early every time I had a 3:15 game, as well as some 10am midweek tournament games.  As we have baseball here in So Cal year round, I couldn't ask for a better "retirement job."

• Like 2

Add "Retired" to the list so I can vote  ;)

Sort of in order:

Production Control

Industrial Engineering

11B (8th Army Honor Guard)

Industrial Engineering

Production Control

Capital Planning

IE Management

Cost Engineering

Cost Proposal Management

I am a payroll consultant. It depends on my client whether I have time or not. Clients can last from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. I had one client wanted me on-site regularly. I talked him into letting me work from home 2 days a week so I could umpire. Right now I'm working from home, so I have a full HS schedule. Larry Sansevere Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a recruiter in the HR department for a mid-sized marketing company. Love the job and my games normally start around 6pm. None of the fields are more than 20 minutes away so I can make a quick escape at 5pm and make it to the field in plenty of time. Can't complain!

I cut my teeth getting into HR as a recruiter. I was fortunate to land a great job with an IT consulting firm in the DC area in the tech boom. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I eventually got too old, jaded and cynical to be an effective recruiter. That was after recruiting for 10 years. So now I am a generalist/1st level manager. Being a cynical and jaded is great for this role. 

Good luck!

I work as a newspaper page designer. I was a sports writer (I covered UK basketball, football and local high school sports). I also did a fair amount of photography too. When I moved to Newport, Ky. for my wife's job, I went to just designing pages from home. It allows me to have A LOT of free time for game every day of the week except Saturday nights (I have to put together Sunday's paper then). 

I'm a Research Program Manager for the UW.  I have a really flexible schedule during the high school spring baseball schedule and can make it to most 4:30/5:00 starts.  The summer games start later in the evening, so it all works out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a first year undergrad studying computer science. Whenever I'm signing up for classes, I always try to keep my afternoons open, although sometimes I have to skip lecture for umpiring (kind of a no brainer).

Was a design engineer for a major tech firm in Cleveland.

Reactivated back into the military right after 9-11 (was asked)

Deactivated in 2012.

Now a conceptual engineer for a large manufacturing/engineering firm in St Louis.

I am an Industrial Engineer by degree.  Currently work for a small supply chain consulting company in Atlanta (but I am based out of my home in NC), I have done this type of work 15 ot the 25 years I have been out of college.

Only down side of this job is that when I took it I had to give up HS umpiring as my travel schedule is pretty dynamic and didn't want to be "that guy" who was always cancelling commitments at the last minute.  I'm umpiring Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth/Middle School (FED) ball and my current assignor (who I've been working with for 5 years) works with me when I have to travel on short notice.