Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5233 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys. I'm a youth umpire, and am looking for feedback on my plate mechanics, timing, and basically anything else you can think of. Please don't be too harsh about my attire,

because as a youth ump, I really don't have enough money to buy my own equipment, so I just use what the league provides. Any suggestions about affordable equipment,

however, would be most welcome. Here are a few videos of me working the plate in a PONY game (11-12 yr olds). Please comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfXOVl7ai1c

  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

For an untrained umpire using a balloon you look pretty good. Timing is good, you re not nailed to the plate. If you aren't verbalizing balls, do so. The way you are bending at the waist can be tiring but I'm not sure there is anything to be done about that until you get to an inside protector. All in all, pretty good stuff.

Posted

You head height looked pretty consistent in every video, and I did not see a lot of movement once you were locked in. Timing on your strike mechanic was fine and you had a good crisp hammer. You moved into a good position for plays at first and you put the ball in play when needed.

For me, I prefer to call every pitch. Track it into F2's glove with your eyes only, evaluate it and then call it a ball or strike. It helps me with timing when calling every pitch, not just strikes. Some on here will disagree about verbalizing balls, but I would recommend calling them. The same with giving the count. Most of the time you stated "two balls and one strike," instead of two and one. But I think I did see you give two fists and state the count was full. Umpires vary with how they give the count and how often they give it. I always say "two balls and one strike" and give it about every third or fourth pitch. Find what works for you.

Obvious foul balls (balls back to the screen) do not need to called "foul." Instead, use that time to get a new ball back to F1. In the last video, it looked like some kid hit a double and you went up the third base line toward the "library." Were there other runners on base ahead of the B/R? If not, you need to get into the infield for a possible play on the B/R.

You have a lot of potential and a good foundation to build on. Keep it up.

And yes, get your own gear.

Posted

Couple of things based on the first video:

I know you don't have a lot of money, but invest a couple of game fees to look more like an umpire. Plate slacks, ball bags, and plate shoes to start. Looking the part will buy you a couple of innings of credibility. Also, it doesn't cost a dime to wear your hat forwards. :) Long sleeves under short sleeves is an umpire fashion faux pas. Other things I saw:

- good head height and pretty good timing

- you seem locked in pretty well

- your tracking looks pretty good, but I noticed some head movement

- I like that you put the ball in play, but you should say "play" along with the point.

- No need for "foul ball" on obvious fouls. No call/mechanic needed.

- "Foul" is enough, "foul ball" is too much.

- Verbalize balls.

That's all for now. Will check out the other videos later.

Posted

Pony ump:

I thought you had triple posted so I knocked off the second two. If they were different videos, please repost. Sorry about that.

Posted

For your situation it's not bad. As others have said, you should invest in some gear when you can. End of the season are your best deals.

As for mechanics, head height and timing look fine. You may want to widen your stance a bit. You'll also want to stop wearing your cap backwards. Bill goes on the inside to block the sun. Loosen the straps so that the mask pivots when you get hit. I only saw the one video not sure where the other ones are.

Posted

Thanks so much for the feedback. I was verbalizing balls, but after watching the video's I realize that I was doing it to quietly. In general, I felt like I was being louder than I actually was.

Posted

Thanks so much for the feedback. I was verbalizing balls, but after watching the video's I realize that I was doing it to quietly.

I think is ok to say it quietly just so that maybe F2 and the batter hears it. Maybe loud enough for F1. But do verbalize it helps the timing. Unless the pitch is behind the batter or way out somewhere.

Posted

Watched the other two videos. Some more thoughts:

- As 24sdad said, a "full count" should be given as "three balls, two strikes" or "three two" while showing three fingers in the left hand and two in the right (not fists).

- On the second video, there looked to be a grounder on the left side. In two-man, you should clear F2 to the left and hustle up the 1B line as far as the play will allow (but no further than the 30 foot line on the small diamond) as long as you can be stopped when the play at first is made. Not sure if you had other runners on that play, but it didn't look like it.

- What was the coach asking you after the strikeout in the 2nd video?

- I didn't see you signal to your partner. Communication is key if you are to work as a team.

- Looked like an obvious catch at the end of the third video. No need to signal obvious catches. I apologize if that wasn't the case.

Posted

To grayhawk:

Thanks a lot for the advice :)

In response to the points you made:

1.) I'll definitely try to do that instead.

2.) Was I not fast enough up the line?

3.) The coach though the pitcher was throwing curve balls (which aren't allowed in Bronco), but I didn't see any.

4.) I usually signal outs, infield fly, time plays, and whether I have the play at third, but my partner wasn't very familiar with 2 man mechanics.

5.) Yeah, it looks like I need to tone it down on the more obvious calls.

Posted

To grayhawk:

Thanks a lot for the advice :)

In response to the points you made:

1.) I'll definitely try to do that instead.

2.) Was I not fast enough up the line?

3.) The coach though the pitcher was throwing curve balls (which aren't allowed in Bronco), but I didn't see any.

4.) I usually signal outs, infield fly, time plays, and whether I have the play at third, but my partner wasn't very familiar with 2 man mechanics.

5.) Yeah, it looks like I need to tone it down on the more obvious calls.

#2 - Ideally, you would be straddling the 1B line a little further up - it gives you better angle/distance on a swipe tag/pulled foot.

#3 - Wierd that Bronco doesn't allow for curves in your area. I have seen that in Mustang, but not Bronco.

Overall, you looked good. Some of the stuff I wrote is nitpicky, but I think it's important to hear everything. Incorporate the stuff you like and dump the rest.


×
×
  • Create New...