Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4465 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Does anyone know how close the Smitty's charcoal is in color to the Gerry Davis? 

The GDs don't match anything

Posted

Does anyone know how close the Smitty's charcoal is in color to the Gerry Davis? 

The GDs don't match anything

 

Dalco makes a pant with a similar texture and shade to GDs, but that said, they don't match anything.

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted

I received a catalog from Purchase Officials with my order the other day and while flipping through it, I noticed that they had Smitty Polywools listed for about $55. They had the expander waist band like their other models and advertised an 80% poly / 20% wool blend.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing on the Smitty website nor the Purchase Official's website about these.

Does anybody have any more information about these pants?

I purchased a pair of these from Purchase Officials off e-bay.  I'm a 36 and maybe I should have sized down and bought 34's, but they seemed to fit OK so I went and got them hemmed. Wore them today for the first time. The expander waist band is way too loose. There's no belt loop where the pants "expand" and it caused the elastic "expander" to bunch up and roll over the top of my belt. Hope that makes some sense. I don't know how else to explain it. The pants actually rolled up over my belt so the inside of the pants were rolled inside out over my belt. I was constantly trying to "unroll" them and pull them down....horrible. I'm going to have them sewed on both sides across the elastic expanders so they won't "expand" and hopefully that will make them useable. As far as legroom, I had no problem. Color seems OK to me as I'm not in an association that requires any specific brand and from what I can see there aren't any 2 brands of Charcoal grey that are exactly alike. It's the expander elastic and belt loop positions that leave a lot to be desired. (or altered to make them wearable). Bottom line..Spend the extra money and get the real deal. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I received a catalog from Purchase Officials with my order the other day and while flipping through it, I noticed that they had Smitty Polywools listed for about $55. They had the expander waist band like their other models and advertised an 80% poly / 20% wool blend.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing on the Smitty website nor the Purchase Official's website about these.

Does anybody have any more information about these pants?

I purchased a pair of these from Purchase Officials off e-bay.  I'm a 36 and maybe I should have sized down and bought 34's, but they seemed to fit OK so I went and got them hemmed. Wore them today for the first time. The expander waist band is way too loose. There's no belt loop where the pants "expand" and it caused the elastic "expander" to bunch up and roll over the top of my belt. Hope that makes some sense. I don't know how else to explain it. The pants actually rolled up over my belt so the inside of the pants were rolled inside out over my belt. I was constantly trying to "unroll" them and pull them down....horrible. I'm going to have them sewed on both sides across the elastic expanders so they won't "expand" and hopefully that will make them useable. As far as legroom, I had no problem. Color seems OK to me as I'm not in an association that requires any specific brand and from what I can see there aren't any 2 brands of Charcoal grey that are exactly alike. It's the expander elastic and belt loop positions that leave a lot to be desired. (or altered to make them wearable). Bottom line..Spend the extra money and get the real deal. 

Thank you for your sacrifice.

  • Like 2
Posted

 

I received a catalog from Purchase Officials with my order the other day and while flipping through it, I noticed that they had Smitty Polywools listed for about $55. They had the expander waist band like their other models and advertised an 80% poly / 20% wool blend.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing on the Smitty website nor the Purchase Official's website about these.

Does anybody have any more information about these pants?

I purchased a pair of these from Purchase Officials off e-bay.  I'm a 36 and maybe I should have sized down and bought 34's, but they seemed to fit OK so I went and got them hemmed. Wore them today for the first time. The expander waist band is way too loose. There's no belt loop where the pants "expand" and it caused the elastic "expander" to bunch up and roll over the top of my belt. Hope that makes some sense. I don't know how else to explain it. The pants actually rolled up over my belt so the inside of the pants were rolled inside out over my belt. I was constantly trying to "unroll" them and pull them down....horrible. I'm going to have them sewed on both sides across the elastic expanders so they won't "expand" and hopefully that will make them useable. As far as legroom, I had no problem. Color seems OK to me as I'm not in an association that requires any specific brand and from what I can see there aren't any 2 brands of Charcoal grey that are exactly alike. It's the expander elastic and belt loop positions that leave a lot to be desired. (or altered to make them wearable). Bottom line..Spend the extra money and get the real deal. 

Thank you for your sacrifice.

yep.....Sometimes I forget the tried and true rule.."You get what you pay for" 

Posted

i saw some of the smitty poly wools about a month ago... they have a greenish tint to them compared to the honigs and UA, the real question here should be who is UA going to get poly wools from now that Honigs and Hardwicks have an exclusitivity contract... Start a new thread?

Posted

I just picked up a set of honig's polywools for $55 each from honigs. If I can get the same deal, I am going to buy another set, the savings pays for the alterations and drycleaning.

Posted

I just picked up a set of honig's polywools for $55 each from honigs. If I can get the same deal, I am going to buy another set, the savings pays for the alterations and drycleaning.

55? How?

Posted

I just picked up a set of honig's polywools for $55 each from honigs. If I can get the same deal, I am going to buy another set, the savings pays for the alterations and drycleaning.

Yes....how and where's the link??:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Posted

heather gray in poly again

They ain't makin' no more son. Tell the guys in your group to pony up and buy a new pair of pants. Make it charcoal this time.

LOL...I am surprised they have not faded after 5 years....

Posted

I just picked up a set of honig's polywools for $55 each from honigs. If I can get the same deal, I am going to buy another set, the savings pays for the alterations and drycleaning.

 

 

I just picked up a set of honig's polywools for $55 each from honigs. If I can get the same deal, I am going to buy another set, the savings pays for the alterations and drycleaning.

I got the same deal at the clinic in Feb from Honigs. I would not mind getting that deal again. The Honig's pants are real comfortable. I don't know if I could go to another brand because these so good.

  • 1 year later...
Posted

Adding Smitty PW intel to this thread.

________________________________

 

 

I bought 3 pairs of Smitty PWs.   One for each of myself and my two boys. 

 

I HATE them. 

 

Biggest problem is keeping them wrinkle-free.   tried hanging them damp, tumble dry low and hang cool, tumble dry medium until they were bone dry and hang them up.   Little tiny wrinkles no matter what I did. 

 

Even the regular smitty polyester pants don't wrinkle out of the dryer. 

 

Second issue - 

I ordered the S384 (base), S385 (combo) and S386 (Plate).   Both the plate and combo pants have very narrow legs.   Combo pants are un-usable behind the plate.  Simply not enough room to flex/crouch. 

 

I did notice that the descriptions between PW plate and Polyester Plate had a key difference.

 

  • S376-CC Smitty Polyester - Room in legs for shin guards (approx 24"  knee)
  • S386 Smitty Polywool - Standard leg width

 

I got the pants for about $41 each, but the UA price is $50.    Now that Honigs PWs are at $67/$70 I just can't justify trying to save $20, even for wreck ball. 

 

Cam and I have Honigs PWs and there is absolutely no comparison between Honigs and Smitty PWs.   Two completely different animals. 

 

Honigs PWs are like silk, drape well at the plate shoe, roomy and hang perfectly straight. 

 

There is something that is not quite right about the Smitty PWs.   I even remember Smitty had mislabeled some of the pants as plates that were actually combos, or vice versa.    I think I may have at least one pair of mislabeled pants. 

 

Yuck, yuck, yuck.   I would sooner wear Smitty Polyester over Smitty PW any day. 

Posted

Adding Smitty PW intel to this thread.

________________________________

 

 

I bought 3 pairs of Smitty PWs.   One for each of myself and my two boys. 

 

I HATE them. 

 

Biggest problem is keeping them wrinkle-free.   tried hanging them damp, tumble dry low and hang cool, tumble dry medium until they were bone dry and hang them up.   Little tiny wrinkles no matter what I did. 

 

Even the regular smitty polyester pants don't wrinkle out of the dryer. 

 

Second issue - 

I ordered the S384 (base), S385 (combo) and S386 (Plate).   Both the plate and combo pants have very narrow legs.   Combo pants are un-usable behind the plate.  Simply not enough room to flex/crouch. 

 

I did notice that the descriptions between PW plate and Polyester Plate had a key difference.

 

  • S376-CC Smitty Polyester - Room in legs for shin guards (approx 24"  knee)
  • S386 Smitty Polywool - Standard leg width

 

I got the pants for about $41 each, but the UA price is $50.    Now that Honigs PWs are at $67/$70 I just can't justify trying to save $20, even for wreck ball. 

 

Cam and I have Honigs PWs and there is absolutely no comparison between Honigs and Smitty PWs.   Two completely different animals. 

 

Honigs PWs are like silk, drape well at the plate shoe, roomy and hang perfectly straight. 

 

There is something that is not quite right about the Smitty PWs.   I even remember Smitty had mislabeled some of the pants as plates that were actually combos, or vice versa.    I think I may have at least one pair of mislabeled pants. 

 

Yuck, yuck, yuck.   I would sooner wear Smitty Polyester over Smitty PW any day. 

 

So did you find the best way to keep them wrinkle free? Or is it nearly impossible?

Posted

Adding Smitty PW intel to this thread.

________________________________

I bought 3 pairs of Smitty PWs. One for each of myself and my two boys.

I HATE them.

Biggest problem is keeping them wrinkle-free. tried hanging them damp, tumble dry low and hang cool, tumble dry medium until they were bone dry and hang them up. Little tiny wrinkles no matter what I did.

Even the regular smitty polyester pants don't wrinkle out of the dryer.

Second issue -

I ordered the S384 (base), S385 (combo) and S386 (Plate). Both the plate and combo pants have very narrow legs. Combo pants are un-usable behind the plate. Simply not enough room to flex/crouch.

I did notice that the descriptions between PW plate and Polyester Plate had a key difference.

  • S376-CC Smitty Polyester - Room in legs for shin guards (approx 24" knee)
  • S386 Smitty Polywool - Standard leg width

I got the pants for about $41 each, but the UA price is $50. Now that Honigs PWs are at $67/$70 I just can't justify trying to save $20, even for wreck ball.

Cam and I have Honigs PWs and there is absolutely no comparison between Honigs and Smitty PWs. Two completely different animals.

Honigs PWs are like silk, drape well at the plate shoe, roomy and hang perfectly straight.

There is something that is not quite right about the Smitty PWs. I even remember Smitty had mislabeled some of the pants as plates that were actually combos, or vice versa. I think I may have at least one pair of mislabeled pants.

Yuck, yuck, yuck. I would sooner wear Smitty Polyester over Smitty PW any day.

So did you find the best way to keep them wrinkle free? Or is it nearly impossible?

Ironing them will work obviously, but I don't want to do that.

I had them cleaned and now they just just hang in the closet waiting for an umpiring emergency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Posted

So can I get this straight. Is Honig's what the pros wear? I thought UA had a contract?

Posted

And U-A bought Honig's PW's to supply MiLB umpires.  Not trying to be offensive to Jim and U-A just stating what Jim shared in his own story.

  • Like 1
Posted

If I remember correctly, UA had a contract with a company to manufacture a UA line of PWs. Their own brand. And the company unexpectedly folded with no word and no warning. So UA and Honigs got together to get it right for the MiLB crews. Hopefully, @JimKirk will get someone else to make the UA brand PWs.

Posted

If anyone reads Carl Childress' articles and occasional posts on Officiating.com he mentions the untrained umpire we all know and work with sometimes and the know-it-all umpires we all know and hate with one-year-of-experience-umpteen-years-in-a-row and calls them "Smitty's".  As a result I just cannot get past that label and never buy or even consider any item with the Smitty label.  I made the mistake last summer of buying Smitty brand gray long tights from UA. Hated them.  They ripped and I threw them away.  

 

No more Smitty brand anything for me.  

Posted

If anyone reads Carl Childress' articles and occasional posts on Officiating.com he mentions the untrained umpire we all know and work with sometimes and the know-it-all umpires we all know and hate with one-year-of-experience-umpteen-years-in-a-row and calls them "Smitty's".  As a result I just cannot get past that label and never buy or even consider any item with the Smitty label.  I made the mistake last summer of buying Smitty brand gray long tights from UA. Hated them.  They ripped and I threw them away.  

 

No more Smitty brand anything for me.  

Their shirts are priced right, comfy, wash well and look good

Posted

Smitty in my closet:

 

Pro style Shirts=Great - very close to Majestic

Old style shirts=Great - stretchy

Polyester pants=OK value

Polywool pants=yuck

Ball bags=thin and cheap, more yuck

Pro style (Lightweight) jacket=OK value

  • Like 1
Posted

If anyone reads Carl Childress' articles and occasional posts on Officiating.com he mentions the untrained umpire we all know and work with sometimes and the know-it-all umpires we all know and hate with one-year-of-experience-umpteen-years-in-a-row and calls them "Smitty's".  As a result I just cannot get past that label and never buy or even consider any item with the Smitty label.  I made the mistake last summer of buying Smitty brand gray long tights from UA. Hated them.  They ripped and I threw them away.  

 

No more Smitty brand anything for me.  

The name comes from the short lanyard that basketball officials use that clips the shirt (not the lanyard that goes around the neck).  That was before the company started selling baseball stuff.

×
×
  • Create New...