-
Posts
1,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
19
Everything posted by BLWizzRanger
-
Gerry Davis 94X V1 vs Smitty Performance Poly Spandex Pants
BLWizzRanger replied to GoAn42's topic in Umpire Equipment
I am color blind but are you sure those aren't softball pants? -
Run, f'ing run! Or, how to quickly get tossed from an 8-9 game
BLWizzRanger replied to Mudisfun's topic in Ejections
-
I wonder what they did after the 10 minutes it took them to approve these? They had the room reserved for another 8 hours...
-
Nowadays, they all swing for the fences.
-
Batter-Runner Passes R1 on Ground Rule Double
BLWizzRanger replied to Scotty_Ump's topic in Situations
Save even more time if a new rule was put in place that anything worn in the box during an at-bat is worn or kept on the person while running the bases. That would probably save 15 minutes a game from the time wasted in taking things off and on. -
Ok, I've got to know for my toolbox.. would this be legal if he sat like Mork or did it need to be his ass?
-
I am looking through the thread and see some good advice overall and will respond in short time. Most of these, of course, are had to be there. Case in point, I said 'chirping' here to note they were talking back and forth. What actually happened was R2 was hollering with F8 'What are you going to do about it?' and the response was 'Come here and I will show you.' So it was time to shut that down.
-
So I had two situations where I should have handled them the same, but I didn't. So what are your thoughts? First, I am the calling umpire in C on the third game of the day. First inning: there is a ground ball to HT F3 that F1 runs over and covers. I thought F1 missed the bag as he went by - he definitely didn't step directly on it. Called the runner safe. (OK, so this was the third play in the inning that it was a tight call and it went against the HT. HT coaches started hollering hard after the call. I waited a few seconds, then called time, and walked to the dugout and, I don't want to say chastise, maybe sternly, told them how to act if they wanted to dispute a call. I did go to my partner to get help and he gave me information that when combined with what I saw, I overturned the call and called the BR out. I made the call and gave the coaches a minute to discuss but then I shut it down. However, the VTHC followed my partner back to the plate and discussed it more than they should have.) With me going over to the HT dugout and doing what I did, it went very well and I had the coaches apologizing for their behavior. Next to last inning (90 degree day, players were chirping slightly and warned to not let it get out of hand). I am in C and not the calling umpire. The VT had a batter that hit the ball up the third base line that was obviously foul to me. My partner called the ball fair and allowed the F5 to field the ball while his left foot was on the corner of the bag that is on the foul line and his right foot well into foul territory ( a force play). He caught the ball off of his right knee. Its one of those that was so obvious that he could have immediately gave a mea culpa and got out of it - but he didn't. (ok, so both VT coaches came down the line and started in on my partner as hard as the other coaches in the first inning. I was coming down because I thought my partner would have come to me, but he didn't. He made the statement to the coaches that he was sure it was a foul ball and when they appealed to me, I gave a half hearted 'well, from my position, I can't tell that and it is his call {booooo me} and then I turned or stayed away as he took some flack. The next inning something else happened with my partner getting hollered at and I just threw the AC out for being over the top and ended the game with 3 minutes left before NNI. VT was losing and the HT was at bat.) So I think I should have handled both situations the same. I should have chastised, no, I mean sternly ( I don't know what word to use other than not be soft on it) told the VT coaches how to act and possibly instructed them to get help properly and the call might have been reversed. I am pretty sure it would have gone better if my partner did come to me. My partner said afterwards that he was hoping they would ask for him to get help so that he could but after they chewed hard, he wasn't going to get help. So I can't overcome that, but, are there other approaches one can use to make sure the call gets corrected? If he was blinded by getting chewed on and not going to get help, I am not sure I could say anything to the situation and NOT throw him under the bus if I step up there. IDK, what do you think? Is that a risk one should take sometimes?
-
Coach: what's the count Blue? Me: giving the two finger salute showing a 2-2 count... I am not sure that would go over well for me....
-
You knoooowwww, Captain K's coat would make a knarly plate coat.... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
-
Thats like reverse volunteerism, isn't it? You can't make a stipend off of them locally but they want you to pay to get further ahead... interesting....
-
Just imagine.... HPU in a plate coat because it is the championship. No shirt or dickey. The golden W lit up and peeking out of the plate coat. That has an ESPY written all over it for the Best Dress Umpire in a Meaningless Game category.
-
...and there's not a dang thing you can do about it
BLWizzRanger replied to Velho's topic in Professional
Now that makes me think about old-school umpiring that the umps, in the past, would have called interference - intentional just because they can. Just so they could throw out Karen Boone again. (I think he was already taking a shower in this game). -
Yeah, I thought it flamed out.
-
Angel Hernandez to retire Tuesday, May 28th
BLWizzRanger replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in Umpire News From Around the Web
Obligatory Eric Gregg video. Lets just say Eric had an eye for the outside pitch. I don't think Angel ever approached this level. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=874669836638799 -
My guess why Belly didn't get the OBS call is that he moved so smoothly, almost in stride, to his right to avoid the tag. If he took a stutter step or deak to get to that location, maybe it would have been called.
-
Boy! I bet he doesn't even know he did that. But this can't be NJ since the umps aren't wearing navy. What about the taunting of the BR as he is mid-way down the TBL? Or his bat flip? Both of those, at a minimum, has to be a warning, IMHO. And why is U1 lollygagging near 1st if he sees his partner being run on?
-
If you are going to have replay be apart of the game - an important part now - than there should be a required functioning cameras at every field. High home, high third, high first being three of them ( I have no clue to the actual camera positions, I am only using what I learned in CCS video). But, if it isn't 'manned' how hard is it to turn it on, focus it in, lock it in, and go get a coffee? So you lose the panning and moving of the camera angle but you still have an important directional view of the right side of the infield. That is baffling if there isn't actually a high first view on that play or that it wasn't shown at all.
-
Gerry Davis 94X V1 vs Smitty Performance Poly Spandex Pants
BLWizzRanger replied to GoAn42's topic in Umpire Equipment
If you happen to find a 36 or 38.... -
I actually just had something simular. I dont know why I didnt think of this sooner. Playoff game on Saturday was suspended at the top of the fifth. Two days later, the game resumed with both teams aces, whom werent able to pitch on Saturday due to pitch count and days rest, became eligible and were on the mound on Monday. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
-
Assuming NFHS. I think they can... Hear me out. If he has 'eligibility' due to the reinstatement of the number of pitches he has - something we don't adjudicate - why couldn't he? We know by rule that a pitcher can be reentered to pitch at any time unless they are violating the 'reentered once per inning rule'. Also, a starter can be reentered once as well. The only thing that is holding them out is something out of our authority. Interesting loop hole though...
-
Wait.... it would be a whole hell of lot easier matching with your partner and your own fashion sense if they just stayed with Navy. Just say'n
-
The Unintended Consequences of Sportsmanship
BLWizzRanger replied to The Man in Blue's topic in Rules
Heck, I can tell you were only two or three details away from being able to specifically tell who you were thinking of when you wrote this. Don't hold back! Its not like they are on here trying to get better... lol
