Jump to content

BLWizzRanger

Established Member
  • Posts

    1,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Everything posted by BLWizzRanger

  1. I actually was a BU to a first year PU two weeks ago that had a lodged ball near his bicep. The catcher started looking for it and two to three beats later, the PU lifted his arm and caught the ball in his hand. So I had to call it a lodged ball. I just hope that no one heard me saying 'drop it, drop it, drop it' under my breath during the time it was lodged.
  2. See? I knew a simple question would bring about good advise and pictures! Thanks to Short and MadMax. Unless I missed it, are you filing down the edges on front and back to make sure there are no shirt-snagging burrs? On one of the slots, it looks like the screwdriver marred the edges and possibly making an shirt-snagging edge.
  3. The D-ring is ripping the loop. I know its on the upper knee piece but I still want it. How would you replace the loop or make sure the loop doesnt rip all the way? All Star LP11-R are the model if you need to know. TIA! Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  4. Would you prefer Psycho? Just a joke, just a joke... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  5. Isn't it the first movement in his delivery of the pitch to the plate? Usually (and I can't think of anything else), its the movement of the non-pivot foot, lifting and stepping sideways or backwards for the windup. For the stretch, after they become set, its the movement of the non-pivot foot being lifted and moved toward the plate.
  6. Lets talk about this one second. First, I am neither for or against this, but, IMHO, I would have to believe this isn't the best for the craft. All of these are mostly movement related. We worry about the mobility of older umps now and then we see this? 1. he is not getting up the line to see a pulled foot 2. he is not getting to the mound to see FPSR. 3. he is definitely not getting up to third on a rotation nor down the line for fair/foul. 4. a play at the plate? he isn't getting on the catchers hip and making adjustments, but, he will be a brick wall for the runner to possibly run or slide into after touching the plate. Otherwise, he is in a bad position 1st baseline extended that we are preached to not be at. 5. a rainy game? probably stuck in the mud. 6. a game on turf? I don't know the ability of thinner wheels turning on turf but I would have to believe it would be like trying to use this type of wheelchair on a sandy beach. I guess I convinced myself that I have the same opinion of this as I had with my partner last week who moved less then the rocks in my yard during a bad storm. I would not be thrilled.
  7. Too bad you cant have nicknames like you can for boys teams.... Moose Slim Curly Cheeseburger or Cheese for short Sponge Scoop Wouldnt go over too well on a girls team.... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  8. They are allowed to stagger the ejections so that the team isn't crippled more than necessary. So maybe the first 5 is the first game and the second 6 for the second game? (I didn't hit the link to read it, but, I think that maybe this is the case?)
  9. Dont forget, all three could be in the same inning while different batters are at bat. But for the fourth, fifth, sixth etc (until extra innings), its required that the pitcher be changed Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  10. I have been taught that if it is an injury timeout, I am supposed to be in the meeting so that they dont talk strategy. No matter how obvious it is for an injury. Players like to congregate around the injured and it would be very easy to mention strategy to everyone else while the player is writhing in pain. And most, if not all (I have never had a coach not say it was for an injury before hand), of the coaches here will state before they go out if it is an injury timeout so that there is no confusion. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  11. Again, I am not picking up this stick unless I have to. But, I agree with F3 since the look isn't in a straight line with a pitcher and I am concentrating on the pitcher. F2 in NFHS? Maybe not at first. Spitting hairs here. Two feet in the catcher's box means that he can be roughly inside armpit to the outer edge of the plate and still be legal. I can 'feel' or see that just by being in the larger slot. If I 'feel' this, I might take a quick glance before the pitcher starts his motion. And I would only use this information if the other team says something or I am getting hit... a lot.
  12. To learn more, what are some of your dirty sticks that you won't touch during a game unless absolutely having to deal with it? I will start: 1. Illegal bats/gloves. (Brought to my attention by the opposing team) 2. Both (NFHS) catcher's feet outside the box before the pitch is thrown. (pitches getting missed and hammering me or brought to my attention) 3. Players halfway in/out the dugout. (they can't be hanging outside of the dugouts unless it is too many. But we have dugouts with low walls that they can sit on and hang one leg out of.) 4. Coaches out of the box. (Had a team accuse the 1BC of stealing signs due to him standing two feet from the bag. Otherwise, penalty on them if they interfere.) 5. Jewerly/eyeblack (guess we don't have to worry about that anymore) What am I missing? (Trying to be constructive with the above question, but, what got me started on this was the catcher's feet as stated #2 above. No way was he in the lines (what lines you may ask?). But when I went to clarify it in the NFHS rule book, the number of feet was only mentioned in the pitching section (6.1.1) and not (1.1.4) where it is mentioned that other fielders only needed one foot in play. If there is a difference, why not say it where feet of players are mentioned to contrast it.)
  13. Yeah, lets let AI learn the subtleties of when holding is not holding or a catch is not a catch. Matthew Boderick and WOPR almost started a nuclear war on less ambiguity.
  14. Plus, my feet, at least, has stopped growing so I don't need new shoes every year....
  15. Cant really worry about what the state will do on appeals. We can only do what we think is right at the time of ejection and hold ourselves to our own convictions. But, my board's leadership has told us to forget about restricting to the bench. Warn and eject. I straddle the line here as sometimes you need to send a message but not take the coach out for 10% of the season (if the state upholds the ejections). But that causes more issues if some are following the 'restrict' doctrine while others are not. In real life, i actually had the state call me about an ejection and asked if I would support a reduction of the suspension. I told them that if I am a stickler of all of the rules of the game, then I could only support the full suspension as they wrote it. They didnt reduce the suspension so maybe they agreed. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  16. The OP was for FED. What is the FED reference here? All I see is OBR (5.09) and I can't find the reference in the FED rule book. edit: Sorry guys, I am specifically referring to the comment: "Interference by a runner who is standing on their base on an airborne batted ball must be intentional. " where is that in FED?
  17. This is me listening to MadMax's (and others) knowledge on all things umpire equipment subjects.... And why I always hear after reading one of them.... 'and that is why the Wilson product could never be compared to ' or something like that.
  18. Well, yes and no, right? While not the same type of play as the F2 was throwing to 2nd in this clip, F2's anticipation had them in the contact area at the same time as the follow-through. In my play, with the F2's anticipation in making a throw to third, I can't see anything else but NFHS batter interference of the follow-through type. Further, the clip below, with the F2 setting up inside closer to the contact area, any movement of the F2 to throw to third would have had contact. https://www.closecallsports.com/2023/05/ozuna-hits-smith-on-backswing-what-can.html In my case, I am convinced now that it would have been extremely unlikely the swing would have finished by the time the F2 threw the ball. Thanks guys.
  19. To your point, the 3BC caught the helmet inches from his face after the helmet bounced off of the ground. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  20. NFHS. So I had my very first follow through interference (FTI) the other night. R2 stealing third and F2 went to throw the ball behind the right-handed batter (RHB). The RHB's bat, while in motion, caught the F2's hand. Looking at a video CCS put together, I got it right (though I butchered calling the FTI 'backswing' interference...ooof). The call was right though. So when in my second guessing phase after the game, I started thinking that the F2 moved behind the RHB to throw and that was the impetus for contact. It wasn't like a throw to second or first where it would be almost impossible for the F2 to move into the bat path with a RHB. So, should the judgement be made if the fielder hit the bat or the bat hit the fielder? Is there a judgement that needs made that the F2 moved further behind the batter than one would expect causing the interference? I know with OBS, its send back the runners and no interference I need to look up NCAA but, IMHO, the judgement aspect would be the same for all three codes. What's your thoughts?
  21. Lets give the MLB guys a break. Its been a while since they made these calls at the lower levels. /s Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  22. I am not sure... Why come when you hear in game music, it is mostly from this same era where its argued that music was bad? (Probably because my ears don't hear so good anymore and everything else is just noise.)
  23. Rover125, what color ball bags did you use? Also, I hear using Wilson products, have been proven, well maybe rumored, to lesson the stress of new umpires. All joking aside, as you grow from anxious to excitement, whether it be with a new partner or on a new field or at a higher playing level or finally seeing the light on a rule that you won't quite understand until you experience it, it does become easier and more fun. Just wait until you get the feeling that someone is begging to leave the game early and you allow them to do so. Second guessing yourself on basic calls will be overcomed with experience. It won't be in the second scrimmage but you will get there. One thing I will say about this site as compared to other boards (i.e., Facebook), this is the best one I have found where you will experience patience with new comers, thoughtful answers, different opinions, respectful behavior, 'thicker' skins, and most importantly, correct answers. Welcome to the Brotherhood!
  24. I have to go find my jam cassette tape with Styx - Too much time on my hands and Rainbow - Since you've been gone. There was a third one on there but I am afraid it probably doesnt hold up as well. Starship- We built this city... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  25. Well, its like I said, its a combination of everything and not just one thing. Its the same here with their availability. If someone is available to work that college mid-week game, starting at noon with minimal complaints, they become part of the OBN. Its just how it works. Like you, I can hold my own with most of them. But the tangible here is gaining experience in a higher leveraged game and the assignor believes that someone working College would be better suited to working the State Championship caliber game. Or so it seems. You are. As Jules said to Marcellus, [paraphrasing] "You sending the Wolf?" "Crap Buddy, Thats all you had to say!" They aren't buddy buddy but they respect them because they get the job done. I haven't seen anything but professionalism between the coaches and my partners. Just friendly banter at the plate meetings is all that I see.
×
×
  • Create New...