Jump to content

BLWizzRanger

Established Member
  • Posts

    1,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Everything posted by BLWizzRanger

  1. I mean, that is a fine line in making it a travesty, right? Stream of consciousness below... What could have happened, if they didn't learn and wanted to push it, was me calling it for the first four pitches and the BR would be awarded first. The pitcher would have gone from the set at that point and it would have taken a little bit of effort to get a runner to third. At that time, the pitcher might have gone from the windup and we would have a balk - R3 scores and others, if any, move up. And it would continue.... More likely was that after the first call in the inning, they would adjust and we wouldn't see it anymore in the inning. Maybe the pitcher would forget and do it, but given the benefit of doubt, it would stop for that inning. Next inning could be the same - first time call it and, maybe, we wouldn't see it again. Next inning.... The latter seems to be the best way in my mind. And, in the first inning, this was what happened. The second inning I let it go and they thought it was over with. The third inning I called it and the SH*# hit the fan. So self reflecting, I was part of the problem. But also, them not adjusting to what was being called was just as large of a problem. I wish I did this before the game. lol.
  2. Yes, I agree. My issue to overcome.
  3. It is supposed to be called in my board. Yes, the NCAA and OBR is what they try to point to, even asking how does Cortez (Yankees) is allowed to. But, he keeps moving. I havent seen it in the NCAA this year, TBH. The pros tighten it up and I haven't seen it there either. The unevenness of enforcement is frustrating, but, if the umpire tells them not to do something during the game that is backed in the rule book, and told 4 times not to do it, why is there an argument? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  4. I got to fill another square on my Umpire Bingo Card last night. I didn't ever think I would get one of these, but alas, I did. I ejected the HTHC due to him referencing the rule book and my willingness to read it during the game. Never, never, never thought I would get one of those. Backstory is that I had had this team for a previous game during the season and called two illegal pitches on his pitcher. I had a discussion twice with the HTHC and while he didn't do anything eject-able at that time, he whined and argued that it was allowed. Two times. The pitcher would come to a full stop during the windup. Imagine taking a step to the side with his non-pivot foot and keeping it there for a beat or two before for continuing with his delivery. Not continuous motion and not without interruption. Well, I had this team for the first round of the playoffs. I am U1. First inning, maybe first pitch, but definitely first batter, I called it. The HTHC comes out and it is the same argument, slightly more agitated due to the playoffs, I assume. I let it go. Second inning I could have called it again a few times, but didn't because I was thinking too much about it and the impact it would have on the game. Third inning, the second pitch, the pitcher did it, I called the illegal pitch. Mind you, its an illegal pitch not a balk. I think I am doing the responsible thing because if there is a guy on third, its a balk and a run scores. He comes out again and I should have stopped him there by not allowing him to come out. But I didn't (next time, I have that in my toolbox). As a courtesy, I try to explain it to him the he knows by rule that isn't allowed. He cut me off and said, Yes he had a rule book, yes, its in the dugout, and yes, we should go read it. After learning he wasn't needed anymore, he did all of the things you would expect from saying 'I got ejected for that' to taking a seat in the dugout, to calling my assignor walking down the foul line on the field, to finally leaving and taking a position withing arm lengths of the field but in the outfield (I saw him but couldn't hear him. Didn't think I should stir it up anymore by removing him further). He had a discussion about the rule with me FOUR times and still was surprised I called it. So guess what? The true axiom of notorious coaches was discovered again. He was a pain all season, no one ejected him during the season, he was surprised such little action caused him to be ejected. Did I mention FOUR times yet? Its a three game suspension during the playoffs (double elimination) although the school appealed it. I was asked for input with the appeal and I told them if I was a stickler to the rules for what I called, then I have to be one for the three game suspension by-laws. I consented that he needed something but if we are talking playoffs, an one game suspension would suffice. And his team won by the ten run rule. Live and learn.
  5. How many shirts can you hang in the back of the EV?
  6. So I had this one this past week. Imagine the F3 taking a throw from F6. The F3 has to pick the ball, but, doesn't get it clean and the ball rolls through his legs toward home plate. He tries reaching for it but takes one or two steps backwards looking for it and then turns and finds it and picks the ball up while off of the bag. He is straddling the base line at that point roughly 4 feet from the bag. The runner slows up because he sees the F3 fumbling with the ball and doesn't try to avoid him other than slowing down. I didn't call it obstruction though I thought it was after playing it through my mind. It was just one of those plays. Ultimately, getting to brass tax, F3 hindered the BR, making the BR slow down due to the F3 being in the base path without the ball. It was a middle school game and I got an out, so I didn't worry too much about it.
  7. BLWizzRanger

    Interference

    does saying it must be almost immediate help? Otherwise, one is watching too long for it to be a coincidence?
  8. OH! the anticipation on a good hidden ball trick.... too bad when the pitcher ruins it. Had one last year that I was almost giddy watching the pitcher take the one step on the mound to get one. My timing was superb, it I do say so myself.
  9. *In the act of coming set* - imagine the pitcher bringing his hands together above his head and then bringing them down to his waist. Around his breast, he jump turns and throws to a base. It does say "during these preliminary motions and during the set position until a delivery motion occurs, the pitcher may turn..." If that act is a preliminary motion, I am fine with it, but I was getting that a 'continuous motion' in completing the set position would mean the hands would have been in the paused before throwing or disengaging.
  10. Ok, so in NFHS games, I have seen time and time again a pitcher throw to a base when they are in motion in coming set. So they move the free foot up to the pivot foot and bring the hands down to their pause point. Before they reach the pause point while in motion, they jump step and throw or disengage. Is anyone calling balks in NFHS games if they see this? I know my chapter isn't.
  11. {biting tongue hard. trying not to be unsportsmanlike} If you figure in paying a premium for the EV and then 10 yrs down the road, having to replace the batteries, not including the cost to taxpayers to dispose of the batteries, did you really only pay $4-$5? I guess it just depends what column and row you want to see the cost of owning and using an EV in. Not on my soapbox here or being personal. If anyone wants to drive an EV, go for it. But lets not be blind to the associated costs of such (which are more expensive than fossil fuels). Sorry ErichKeane for being an ass here.
  12. Yes! Depends if you catch them before they fix them.
  13. You can't say that! Maybe his mom is in the stands.
  14. Wait. I am not arguing the play here. I understand when the base path is established or thought I did. Its supposed to be when the tag is attempted, but, Lindsay is saying its when the fielder first has possession of the ball that establishes the base path? Maybe, on this play, since the catch (or possession) of the ball and the tag is one continuous motion, does the tape measure start? what am I missing here?
  15. You really expect an organization as large as NFHS to catch such a big mistake? Hell, they kept the jewery rule in for ages and kept forgetting to take it out. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  16. Totally agree.
  17. Of course I said it tongue-in-cheek but, if it would help the language barrier, having the guest translate into their primary language, they should try it.
  18. ChatGPT, can you translate the Official Baseball Rules 3 foot Rule into Italian?
  19. Is it just me or does anyone else read these now in an Italian accent and with hand motions?
  20. If it fell from the sky and was touched by F5 while straddling the bag, IFD be called?
  21. What color is the drone and does it have lights shining in the batter's eyes?
  22. I am sure most of us know this, but in case someone new reads this.... NEVER NEVER give the exact time the clock started on yours or your partners watch. That gives you the leeway to say the clock expired with 10, 20, 120, etc seconds to go depending on how the game is going. Also, it stops the argument that when the coaches try to sync up their watches to yours, they cant use their time to argue there is still time left to play. IMHO, use a countdown timer that can be adjusted discretly or set a few minutes less for these types of situations. Most times you can get away with it... but who is to say if the timer expired? Only you or your partner. And do I have to say it? Like an indicator, only one countdown timer should be on the field at any time. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  23. Nope. they don't need my help to cancel someone. I won't participate in this cancel culture from my location that is no where near where this took place. Let the law and locals handle it.
  24. I actually went to the coach in the first game between innings and told him the rule, aka, giving a heads up that I am looking for it, aka preventive umpiring. The pitcher decided to test it. With your last quoted sentence, its a illegal pitch and should be called. But, I was leaving it to the PU. WTBS, which is the least devastating to the defense and will tell everyone what will be tolerated? A ball to the batter. I would rather set the expectation with the least harm than calling it when the winning run is on third. Personally, that is what I am going to try and do.
×
×
  • Create New...