Jump to content

BLWizzRanger

Established Member
  • Posts

    1,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Everything posted by BLWizzRanger

  1. Since we cant ask the U3, are you saying that you believe that because he lost site of the ball he called it lodged? The ball enters at one point and exits at a lower point and for a beat, it was behind ivy where you couldnt see it. I would even say there was no delay as the ball went through the ivy. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  2. Good question but hard to answer with a definitive answer, right? Trying to be more self reflective and not lie to myself below. While there isnt one metric alone that stands out, its all of the usual combination of factors. In no particular order... They have current college experience. I have minimal experience (summer leagues and fallball scrimmages) with the college game. They have many more years of experience. Two to three to ten times years of experience. They have good reputations with coaches and other umps. I do too but I dont know all of the ones they do with their experience (And they ref multiple sports thereby more expirence, presence, and familiarity). They get their calls correct. Yes, I do too and I get good compliments by the ones I am comparing myself with. However, I am not perfect as seen on my posts here. But I do strive to be perfect. They have a good zone. Mine has turned the corner and I am much more consistent. I am a good teammate. I have always supported my team and have never left them out to hang. They have good game management. I think I do too, but I do get tested somewhat as my reputation is still being built as being good and competent. I have had the ones I am comparing myself with, telling some coaches to back off on arguing rules because I know what I am talking about. (Not bragging because I learn something on this board every day and am far from knowing it all. Its about testing myself and making sure I recheck the rules book to make sure I know the rules.) My availability is less than theirs. Different jobs, different lives... it is what it is. So yeah, across the board I have to get better. I heard a multi-conference college and American Legion assigner speak and his words were that he uses the same umpires over and over because they do all of the right things and get along in the locker room. He isnt actively looking to replace his group but he knows what is out there and can replace when needed. I sort of think I am in this outside group with my assigner. I hate to call this the good old boys network but if you are going to use them until they need replaced, that is what it is. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  3. A flame about that high. (Holding my hand out about arse high). All joking aside, I was assigned a game and it was revoked in a matter of minutes. Mind you, it is a State Championship caliper game, later in the season, and there are better umpires in my board. But, come on.... Just taking the burn to get better. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  4. Not directed at you, Wolfe_man. But, isnt giving top of shoulders to the ankles sort of giving them a trophy? Boy oh boy wasnt U10 F1 good tonight, an All-Star!, even though the half the pitches were at the extremes of the strike zone? I know Its damned if you do or damned if you dont at that age. But lets not forget that umpires contribute a little to that issue. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  5. Oui, Oui. I agree. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  6. Gotta be the pads....
  7. Sorry to sidetrack, but in a 13U game, I called FPSR on a kid (a couple actually on the same team. Looked like they were taught to come in standing up since they all did it) and I hear from the stands.... "come on... this isnt Major League Baseball!" It took all that I had not to holler back.. "Exactly!" Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  8. Battle scars.... the signs of a true warrior... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  9. Wait a minute.... Maybe I am thinking NCAA, but, isn't there a case play where the runner has to be near the base, if they don't touch it, to be considered eligible for 'last time by'? They couldn't cross the mound and expect the 'last time by' to be honored... at least during a live ball. But, during a dead ball, the BR is allowed to go back and retouch the bases, and, they can start at the missed/untouched base? In other words, they don't need to reverse touch the bases (say 3rd/2nd/1st) and then touch them in order to be legit? Not to mention allowing the runner to possibly touching a base while it is officially occupied by another runner or possibly having a 'pass runner' during a dead ball correction. Thank goodness this is a unicorn play.
  10. Wait.... this is after you sold everything last year and everything seen is newly purchased? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  11. I was just thinking that with other dead ball situations, the runner returns to their base across the infield - meaning they ARENT retouching 2nd to get back to first. Say R1 is stealing and sees a shot down RFL they round second in case it is fair. They definitely dont think of touching the bases back in order in this situation (nor do they have to). That action could easily be done on the dead balls, since it is a dead ball, in the situation you are asking about. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  12. I was following the other thread and saw you post this here. I don't want to confuse or put more burden on these situations, but, lets not forget that the 'last time by' rule would still be applicable, would it not?
  13. I am sure he meant Hustler. You've got to hustle to move up the ranks of the umpire world. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  14. I asked the question in a camp today. The answer I got is in the vein of the other answers. The game is considered over, therefore, the ball is dead after the 'winning' run scored. Of course, to appeal in either NFHS or NCAA, infielders can't have left the infield and the umps can't have left the field either. But, in NFHS, a dead ball appeal could be done and R1 would have just been put back on the base. In NCAA, a live ball appeal must be done, therefore, before putting the ball back into play, return R1 back to the base before putting the ball back into play.
  15. All those golden W's made me put my sunglasses on... Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  16. So... if R2 misses the 3B and scores. R1 leaves 2B to join the celebration. R2 is out on appeal for the 1st out ( or 2nd, doesn't matter). Do you have R1 out for abandonment? He doesnt know R2 missed the base and it wasnt the umps fault for them leaving the bases, therefore, in getting the call right, technically, the umps actions did not cause him to be in peril. What do you got? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  17. Who knew baseball was big in Arabic countries? (just to be a Learning Larry, only 12 languages on Earth (who knows about in the Universe??) read right to left.)
  18. I'm game for this quiz... As for most of my umpire learning where there are multiple steps in a scenario you have to start with the first and proceed to the next. What happened first? Pitcher stepped off? I got a reset. Catcher called time? I got a mound visit. The pitcher can always holler at the ump, requesting time while engaged. Its a hard line with no nuance though. Might have a hard time making friends after that. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  19. In WV, there is already an escalation clause on the books for player/ coach ejections which start at 3 games, 6, and suspended for 365 days. WV allows 30 regular season games, thus one ejection costs the ejectee 10% of the season. Doesnt other states have rules like these? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  20. Well, there is that as well. The contract that I signed was 25% more than what the assignor told me they would pay me. If I read between the lines, the 25% was his take - I don't know that definitively - but, I never mentioned to the school what I was promised. Where did they come up with that amount? I am curious what would have happened if I didn't have collegiate insurance. If I turned around and got NASO insurance (which I will next year) today, how ethical would that be to name that as coverage when it wasn't in effect the day of the game three months past? Wouldn't that be worse than bending the rules and paying for services done? Chances are that I am SOL if I didn't prove I had insurance. I don't know what I will do if they come down that I can't be paid. I guess speak the AD first and block them of course, but if the assigner has our backs and be all 'union like,' that is when the Assigner should refuse to assign any games to this college until payment, IMHO.
  21. This is more of a vent than anything else. Maybe someone could learn something from this escapade and not get into this situation. Not all of the details will be listed but you will get the drift. Some facts here will be a 'told you so' and I have heard them, but, it is what it is. I worked a double header solo for a college scrimmage in Fall Ball that I still haven't gotten paid for yet. I could get into bad details of the game but that really isn't part of my vent. The payment process is my main vent. But, a little background was that I was called late and accepted the game. Got there and started working in the top of the 7th for the first game. Hence, it was in good faith that everything would work out with payment. And, hopefully, they will. Over the past three months, there was no movement in paying until I stuck my nose into it and even then I was stonewalled. Until I bugged my assigner enough and the college that I started seeing movement. The first big movement was me submitting a W-9 unsolicited to the college in December. I mainly did that due to keeping communications open. The school reached out to me in early January after calling them and telling my assigner that there was no movement yet. The school had me sign an 'agreement' for payment. This hit a snag a week later since I was a independent contractor - not under any umpire organization - for the game and I didn't have insurance. I corrected them and sent them my RefQuest policy statement. They came back saying they needed to be named under the 'Additionally Insured' area. (you know, if it is three months after the fact and they aren't going to get sued, this is a technicality, bend some rules and just make the payment). So today, since the school's bean counters wasn't moving on a technicality on not being named 'Additionally Insured' for a game three months past, I had to call RefQuest's policy holder, to ask for the school to be added. The policy holder, who has been the most helpful, stated that with RefQuest's policy, I am already seen as 'Additionally Insured' and they can't add another 'Additionally Insured' on the policy directed by an 'Additionally Insured.' Mind boggling, isnt it? So, as it stands, the policy holder is calling the school on my behalf to get things straightened out. We will see where it goes from here. The school should have been more forthcoming on the paperwork requirements within the first two weeks week after the game. There is no excuse for them not doing so. I really don't know what else my assigner could have done either to help this. I shouldn't let him off the hook because I don't think the his help was vigorous enough, but, with me contacting them starting in December and now we are at the end of January, there was ample amount of time around the holidays to sort this out, with or without his help. And that falls on the school, in my opinion. Anyways, it is what it is. Stand up for yourselves mates. Only you can fight the hardest for you. Now, lets start the season already.
  22. Any logical reason why they start so early for a Midwest state? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  23. Got a reference? I thought that only applied if the safety bag was touched with the BR's left foot? Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  24. Nope, no sarcasm. I was overthinking it like you wanted the harness more to be a upright X instead of a spread X, if that makes sense. Customized vs personalized, soda vs pop vs coke... its all good. Thanks.
×
×
  • Create New...