Jump to content

BLWizzRanger

Established Member
  • Posts

    1,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Everything posted by BLWizzRanger

  1. POS means something else in today's world... just saying.... I mean, you won't get a shipbuilder to name a ship 'Titanic' again...
  2. Quite frankly, as an engineering major a long long time ago, my digital lab had a project very similar to this. I've lost the skills to make this, but, its not that hard.
  3. IDK... you aren't ruling on the catch at F5, nor are you ruling on the fair/foul, which both are clearly PUs calls. But, you are ruling on a touched ball clearly in fair territory that after the touch just so happened to go into foul territory. IMHO, that is either of your calls and you wouldnt/didnt do anything incorrect in pointing that out. I dont think what you did in giving a tipped ball sign is wrong. Giving benefit of doubt, I dont think if the ball was closer to the line, you would have pointed fair. But you did as it was so clearly a fair ball. What you alleviated was the coach coming out and questioning how you could see a fair/foul ball from the middle if you got together. Maybe. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  4. Ok, so this is mine as well. I painted the front of it black to reduce the glare. I have trouble seeing the numbers under lights - so I still have a noticeable stare as I tilt the indicator back and forth to get the light right. Otherwise, yes, I still peek at it sometimes, mostly, right as the pitcher toes the rubber. Never peeking instantly after the pitch. I don't need to look at it when I turn the wheels one click. But here is the thing, I don't have the feeling in my finger tips to discern the notches. Maybe I will try to learn it this winter or get my dremel out and make it more noticeable but its not a high priority. Also, I really don't notice when other umpires look at their indicators unless they stare at like they have an adult picture of their spouse/neighbor/nanny. I guess what I am trying to say is that sneaking a peek wont make an ump weak. Leering is not endearing and has the coaches' fearing.
  5. What? No arguing that the BR intentually ran into the F1 both times? He could have avoided the contact. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  6. OK, for the last two weeks, I have taken two 80+ fastballs directly off of my left shin (upper and lower part of the shin). Two nice bruises. There was no dispersion with my All-Star LP11-Rs. I felt everything. I have used these for four years and have never felt anything. So I am a little surprised. Anyways, after reviewing previous threads on shin-guards, I am getting a feel that Douglas or Force3s are the favorites or highest recommended ones on here? Am I reading these right? If all things are equal, I like the idea of an all-USA manufactured guard, so I am leaning toward the Douglas's. But, is there any other reasons to lean another way?
  7. Sorry guys, I am not buying odds of concussion reasoning here. Out of all of the MLB games this year, roughly 2500 - 2600 games (including spring training), does anyone know how many concussions have been received? Honest question. Even if 25 have been had, 1% of all games, I would take that risk. I wouldn't think it comes close to 25 in any year that MLB has been played. ( I would be amazed if someone came up with this stat though). Heck, football or hockey players have a significantly higher chance of a concussion per game and there isn't any qualms about them hanging them up. This is arguing human nature and not comparing players to referees where players are in the mix of action and the referees are on the outskirts of play. If we want to argue fatigue of taking all of the plates, I can go for that, but not the chance of concussions.
  8. Just slightly Navy, I suppose.
  9. FWIW, I am pretty sure that I haven't come close to the amount of abuse or traveling that MadMax has done these past years but I am on my second or third year with it (200 games perhaps?) and my zippers and material are still fine. I haven't traveled on a plane with it either. Just throwing it in the back of my car.
  10. I don't know what is worse.... MadMax teasing us with a rant or the teasing for the next "celebrity" being outed in the Diddy saga...
  11. Not a plate coat guy, but, I always thought terry cloth or fur lined pockets would help during rainy days. Maybe a small pocket to stow a 'hand warmer' and provide a little warmth to the area and help dry the moisture... come to think of it, you would also need a pocket to place your beef jerky too....
  12. I did have a longer response that got lost during takes... no offense taken though. A good discussion without emotion. I have actually thought more about this while responding than I have ever had while on the field. We know the tournament orgs (or parents, players) dont really know what is in NFHS rule book and if they cared about this equipment, they would make it a POE on their modifictions or come around to the games to check the players. Because they dont care. They only care when metal spikes are worn on artificial turf because they probably have a damage deposit for the rented fields. Something that costs them money. With that, there are three decision points before we even take the field that doesnt involve me - player, parent, tournament - that are deciding that if good enough for the pros than it should be good enough for the player. Plus, most likely, the umpire is in approval that his risk is minimum as well because he wears almost the same setup. NFHS could actually be looking out for teenaged players' safety, but why wouldnt they mandate it for the umpires who are just as involved as the players themselves? And on another tangent, the only reason we care about NOSCAE stamps on baseballs is because they want quality baseballs on the fields and not cheap ass pleather baseballs from Dick's bargin bin. Why should the umpires care what baseballs are brought on the field, otherwise? So the the ball doesnt spin as fast, travels as far, or goes to mush after two or three hits....I dont care. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  13. Quite honestly, after high school season, I am not looking for it. Legion, travel, showcase, some with modified NFHS rules, I havent stopped an F2 from using what they want. :shrug Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  14. Just one addition here.... One time, on the field and not bandcamp, my partner (BU) and I (HP) agreed to this. Wouldn't you know that a ball hit a batter in the box and I didn't call it foul. My partner didn't call it either. When the coach came out to ask me to get help, I stubbornly refused to get help, explained we pregamed it, and I still had to restrict the HC to the bench (NFHS). During the explanation, I referred to my partner a few times and he didn't give the impression that he had anything. The addition is to make sure to pregame a signal or something to the partner that you have something to aid the conversation AND, if need be, go get help. Don't be so stubborn that you won't get help. My partner's reluctance to help out was that he thought I was going to call it and when I didn't, he thought too much time elapsed for him to call it. I don't know when his timer started, but being referred to and seeing my partner is in an discussion that is getting heated, I know I would have at least helped to get the call correct. In hindsight if I am put into that position again, I don't care if we pregamed it, I am going to my partner to confirm what he had.
  15. Kill two birds with one stone... get in front of a mirror, act like you are in the slot(s) and call imaginary pitches (squats, eye movement, check swings movement at a minimum) to get your timing. This has helped me tremendously coming out of winter break... maybe I mean kill a flock of birds with one stone...
  16. Foot or shoe? I can swear some parents are expecting a growth spurt in the near future.
  17. No, we are equals. Other than having a few more years umpiring, he is not an evaluator et al. He gave a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection, err, I mean reasoning. But I came back with an Overruled, err, I mean that I was going to look up a reference and share with him. I really think he is overthinking things as he included in the discussion that the umpire in BU shouldn't call a "foul" on a tipped ball that hits the batter in the box. His reasoning is that the HP might have the batter out of the box when the ball hits them.... In this instance, 'dead ball' should be called by the BU. By calling a 'foul' ball, there is no recovery for such which I don't agree with.
  18. You forgot: https://images.app.goo.gl/DeDRH4A9H2ARpwke8 Thank you @Kevin_K. I think I just like the simplicity of saying one word (foul, time, ball, strike, batter) as compared to "dead ball" and maybe that is the reason the dislike of having to say "dead ball" by the elders (lol) because you can't just say "dead" when it is needed. You have to say "dead ball."
  19. OK, so this past weekend I got into a philosophical discussion with my partner about saying 'dead ball.' I don't say it, he does, and he has tried for the second time to influence me to use it. To get out of the circular disagreement, I broke down and told him that I will find the reference on not saying 'dead ball.' I can't find any. Anyone know of a reference or two that I can use? I found the closed thread from 2022 here on Ump-Emp, but it doesn't provide a reference other than a defacto standard on not using it. Is there one? BTW, on things not to say that was brought to my attention by another partner.... Don't holler "I have no balls" when teams are lackadaisical in bringing baseballs back to you in time during a game. I totally agree with this point from my partner...
  20. I have an UmpLife harness with no issues. But, I do think I loosened it just a hair. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
  21. I don't see it any difference than a hit and run being put on. Since we are making up rules.... If the runner takes off to get a jump on the play and the ball is missed on the swing, let him take second and then placed back to first.... BUT, this can only happen once per injured runner (and not batter) per inning, otherwise the runner is out if he touches second... PTOOMA.
  22. Wouldn't this be like the Barry Bonds right arm armor that some claim gave him an advantage because it kept the hinge point in place during his swing?
  23. BLWizzRanger

    Bored?…

    OH COME ON!!!! It wasn't a ground rule double. Had to be an error on the fielder as he pushed the ball out of play. The runner got 2 bases at TOP! Was the first one before replay because there really is no way for any of the umps to see it come back to the field of play in real time, whether they go out or not. The explanation given by the umpire makes it easier for the listener to understand, but, when comparing both videos, its the same play (as described) because both balls come back to the field of play. One hit directly on top of the fence. The other, one assumes it hits the front padding since the top padding is misaligned or not properly placed on top of the wall.
  24. Personally, I like the color ones. It goes better with any color, including navy, that we wear. The grayscale or subdued ones look more appropriate for a military uniform, IMHO.
×
×
  • Create New...