-
Posts
805 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
5
Everything posted by UmpJeff
-
KD had only sound to go on. I don't think he could see as he quickly turned his head away from the pitch. Who am I to criticize someone I'm watching on TV, but, I almost expected to hear him (KD) cough.
-
Longoria kinda lolly-jogged his way into 2nd base.
- 10 replies
-
- 1
-
-
I'm glad I'll never have him as a partner. I don't care what kind of baseball it is. It's baseball and the game should be respected. He's getting paid to do this and he should act accordingly. Unfortunately, he got his "15 minutes" or 2:36 seconds. Quite frankly, as an umpire, I find this embarrassing. Just my ...
-
I'm getting two outs on this one, for sure.
- 27 replies
-
Putting the ball back in after a foul ball
UmpJeff replied to BaltimoreUmpire's topic in Umpire Mechanics
@BaltimoreUmpire Here's when you need to point and verbalize "PLAY" to put the ball back into play: 1-At the start of EVERY game and at the start of EVERY half-inning; 2-Whenever "Time Out" is called (by you or your partner, any player, or any coach...for pitching changes, injuries, pinch/courtesy runners, for whatever, etc.); 3-After a batter has been HBP; 4-After EVERY foul ball; 5-Any time a live ball goes into dead ball territory; 6-After a home run (assuming it's hit over a fence in fair territory); 7-After an offensive interference call, or Type A obstruction; 8-...... Once you get into the rulebook and learn what situations create a dead-ball situation, you'll know when you have to put it back into play. The above are just some of the times where you need to do it. I always put the ball back into play whether there are runners on base or not. This keeps me in the habit of consistently doing it and now it has become second-nature to me. Basically, ANY and EVERY time the ball is dead, it needs to be made live and put back into play by a point and a verbalized "PLAY". I hope this helps you out! Good luck!!! -
Oakley M-Frames for me. Love 'em! No scratches at all. And I've been on a lot of dust bowls. They always get a water rinse before their rub. Then cleaned with the Oakley cleaner and lens rag. I've had them 3 years now and not one scratch. Worth every penny!!
-
Yes, he did! Now, go sit down, Ratt, er, Matt!
-
Looks to me like there should have been an out on the play. Surprises me that Gibby didn't flip his lid.
- 19 replies
-
- 1
-
-
I wonder how much "the ball was there just as Carpenter started his slide from 10 feet away" factored into this review decision.
- 6 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- Mike Muchlinski
- Cards
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
We need more Cowbell...and less hammer!
-
MidAmUmp... Were you referring to the Doane and SEMUC clinics in Michigan? Or, are there others? Thanks!!
-
I've run into "these umpires" all season long, too. The thing is, I prefer to work the dish. Especially, if it's with a partner I don't know and have never worked with. Game management is in MY hands as the plate umpire. Besides, it keeps me involved and games seem to move along much quicker and smoothly. Two of the worst things you can have is a plate umpire who doesn't have solid game management and ball/strike calling skills where you end up with a 3-hour, 7 inning ballgame. The good news for me is, I'm having my second hip replacement in September. This will enable me to work even more plates next season!!!
-
A true full count...4 Balls and 3 Strikes!!
- 11 replies
-
- 1
-
-
I had this exact thing happen to me during a 18U USSSA tournament this past weekend. Except, the pitcher was set. He stepped forward like in this video. I'm on the bases and I immediately called "balk" at which time all play ceased. I walked up to the pitcher who looked at me like he didn't know what he did wrong. I told him he illegally disengaged the rubber. He said, "Don't I get a warning?". After my brief chuckle, I said, "no, sir, you do not get a warning." His reply was "is it because we're big boys?" My return reply was, "yes, it's because you're big boys. Now don't do it again!"
-
An MLB umpire told us at our winter camp to look at this scenario one of two ways... 1) if the ball hits a stationary bat, you have nothing, play on...and, 2) if the bat hits the ball, you have something...an out, in most cases.
-
I will echo what grayhawk and Jax said. My first summer college game I was really nervous, too. My partner, a pro school, PBUC graduate, and D1 umpire, had one bit of advice...don't miss strikes. Having said that, track your pitches with needle-sharp focus. Everything else, like Jax said, will happen a bit faster. Keep your mental focus on point the entire game and you'll be fine! In through the nose...out through the mouth....ahhhh...
-
Exactly, Maven! I'm far enough up the line and close enough to the bag to see what's going on with the touches.
-
Umpires are like hockey players! Tougher than whale SH*#... (that's an old hockey referee term, btw) Amazing how locked in he was until he got hit. He didn't flinch 1/100 of an inch!!!
-
I also believe that managers shouldn't have the luxury of having the opportunity to watch replays before they decide whether or not to challenge. The umpires don't get a chance to say, "hey, I'd like to take a look at that whacker before I make my call." And, neither should the managers.
-
I have brand new Wilson pads if you're interested. PM me.
- 4 replies
-
- Mask
- team wendy
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
He's a rat. Always has been, always will be.
- 20 replies
-
- Paul Emmel
- balk
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I never ask if they have questions. However, if they do, and they ask, I answer. Like Maven said, give them a brief answer. Otherwise, you end up appearing like Jeff says, an unapproachable D1ck and a Reda$$.
-
I am the CFO for a large ($175MM), privately-held service company HQ'd in Southeastern Michigan (Detroit Metropolitan Area...Eastside). But, my favorite numbers to count are Balls, Strikes, Outs, and Innings.
