Jump to content

UmpJeff

Established Member
  • Posts

    805
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Everything posted by UmpJeff

  1. I'm sure they had a better look at the play than the umpire who was 10-12 feet from the bag who appeared to be at the perfect angle to make the call. They usually do...
  2. I have to agree with Scoscia in that it's a "focking, bullshoot, mudder focking call". But, I always revert to the fact that I am watching THEM make their living umpiring.
  3. That's what I thought it was.
  4. As you know Jeff, I'm from Detroit, too. JV is a complete cocky SOB douchebag. He treats fans like $hit away from the stadium/diamond. He's a great hurler no doubt destined for Cooperstown if he continutes like he has, but, he's still a a$$hole as a person off the field.
  5. Great call...and great timing!
  6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't Type A obstruction (play on a runner) immediate dead ball subsequent base award?
  7. I work a lot of men's league games here in Michigan. Because most of the players are former college and ex-MiLB guys and it's somewhat competitive, I give them a little more rope with respect to their language unless it's personal. Having said that, I probably would have issued a stern warning for a "That was f***ing bullSH*# call" instead of an immediate EJ. Now, in an 18U game or below, I would have immediately ejected.
  8. My contention is this. The rules of the league require the teams to pay each umpire, in cash, before the game whether they're a not-for-profit entity or not. I understand the concept of receiving a check, cashing/depositing it, and moving on. However, the OP was about a bounced check. If the order of events...receiving, cashing, funding are in line, it's all good. But, the risk of an NSF check is always there... That's why I don't accept checks.
  9. That happened to me once. Our MABF rules/by-laws state that we're to be paid, in cash, on the field prior to the game. A few of the teams issue checks because they say they're a 503© entity. When I happen upon one, I tell them that's okay, but, I'm an independent contractor and I get paid in cash prior to working the game. They usually dig into their wallets and pay cash...the way they're supposed to. Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!!
  10. save a horse ride a umpire Or, more appropriately, "save the horse$hit, dump a rat!".
  11. Good way to start a pissing contest with a coach, who will then lose cause he will now start to argue with you.. " dave, where was that pitch?" "it was out" is all that is needed to reply.. he asked a question answer him.. But wait, let's say he ask in the 3rdinning... then in the 5th.. then in the 6th.... now that is too much.. i will answer this question twice in a game. Not a pissing contest, I am letting him know we are not going to discuss it. You have a two a game limit, what makes your methodology better? I let them know that I am not answering them as to locotion. When I play in a game after you, I am told, the other ump gave me two a game. Ohhhh, him, yeah OK it was outside,, Nope. What makes HDS's methodology better is that he's not coming off as a smarta$$... If I were a coach and an umpire resonded to me with a "it's in the ball zone" comment, followed by "anything not in my strike zone", he wouldn't like me very much. He asked a question, give him an answer. Respect goes a long way. A simple, direct answer is all that's needed.
  12. UmpJeff

    Easy

    Me, too.
  13. I referee hockey in the Winter. HS hockey pays $80/game for the referees and $60/game for the linesman. Games are 3, 15-minute stop periods which usually run anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. The gear for hockey is comparable to baseball. But, if you laid my all my umpire gear and all my referee gear together and compared the price tags, it's almost a push.
  14. UmpJeff

    IFF?

    That's an IFF. I've called IFF on lower flies. I've been instructed at camp by pro umpires (by both current and former MiLB guys) that if it has arc, it's a fly ball. Determining whether a ball is a fly ball or not is the easy part. Ruling whether or not a fielder can make a play with ordinary effort is a bit more difficult. The batted ball in this sitch was, IMHO, a fly ball. F1 chose not to play it when, in fact, he could have easily "camped" under it as it landed within 5 feet from him.
  15. Exactly! Anything else is wasted bar time (insert beer mug emoticon here).
  16. I think we can all agree that Ken Harrelson is a D-BAG. At least the voices in my head agree. "These are the times I wish I could cuss." A broad interpretation of cussing, but, he said "that's BS" a couple times. Nonetheless, I don't particularly care for him and soon wish I could finally say "HE GONE!!"
  17. TSF... Two Steps Fair??
  18. Girardi is the Italian word for "rat".
  19. Thanks, zm! Luckily, I live about 45 minutes from Honigs in Ann Arbor so I can easily pick them up!
  20. Question... I have the Wilson Titanium standard contour mask right now and love it. I've been thinking about getting TW pads and after reading this thread I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger. What TW pads will fit this mask? Also, what is the cost on these pads? Thanks, Jeff
  21. I was working the stick in a 15U game last season. Parents were sitting in lawn/camp chairs behind the backstop from one side to the other. One of the mothers brought a beautiful black Lab with her to watch her son's game. The dog was well behaved in that we heard not one bark out of her. However, she must have quickly caught on to the game of baseball because smack dab in the middle of an inning, she somehow got loose and ran from behind the backstop, around first base onto second, rounded second and headed to third, rounded third and half-way between home and third she decided that was the most appropriate place to squat and lay down a "base" of her own. Needless to say, the entire field thought this was funny. My partner and I, not so much. I'm pretty sure the owner didn't see this "play" as funny as others. If fact, she probably experienced as much embarassment as the kids experienced humor. Good thing she, the owner of the dog, came equipped with a plastice bag. After dog's owner "cleaned the plate", she received a round of applause and the game proceeded without further incident.
  22. "Also, this is what the RULES say, and that is why it is so." Exactly.
  23. You're right. I've worked hockey, up to and including the collegiate level, and if a little bit of stick-banging and four-letter words rile you, your skin isn't thick enough to be out on the ice.
×
×
  • Create New...