-
Posts
805 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
5
Everything posted by UmpJeff
-
Swinging Strike 3 Batter Interference on F2 unsuccessfully trying to throw out R1 stealing 2B. As Ernie Harwell used to say..."Two for the price of one!"
-
New Umpire: What's the best equipment to buy?
UmpJeff replied to Dodgers47's topic in Umpire Equipment
Don't skimp on your protective gear...mask, CP, shins, plate shoes, and cup. Get the best and most protective you can afford. Even though you may be doing the younger players to start, you most likely will "move up" to the older guys where protection is paramount. Good gear will last a long time, too. Protect yourself. -
Ventura has the stones to say to the umpire..."What did I do?" What a tool! #thug
-
We've all done it!! You just have to laugh about it
UmpJeff replied to Thunderheads's topic in Professional
That's happened to me on more than one occasion. Sorry to say. My standard comment when I ring a batter up on two strikes is, "Oh, this isn't the Catholic League?" The Catholic League in Michigan plays 3-2 baseball. But, that's an entirely different argument... -
As soon as the coaches leave the pre-game meeting at the plate, the time begins.
-
Just make sure you don't carry over past experiences to the present one. If it's an automatic, then run him. But don't carry the missed opportunity from last game to the new game. Best Answer...^^^
-
So, you're saying you create your own rules to suite your situation because the coaches don't know the rules and it will preclude you from having to write-up an ejection report??? Sometimes you just have to umpire. Man up... I hope you find your integrity.
-
I've got the runner safe. The runner's foot is in direct contact with the fielder's foot which is in direct contact with the base. So, I'm ruling the runner indirectly in contact with the base...ergo, he's safe! (of course, I'm kidding...) I cringe when I get to a diamond and see bases like that...sunken almost to dirt level. It's a shame that a lot of these fields have bases like this. I don't have MC on this play at all...
-
Just a plain water bottle for me...stuck in the fence.
-
Once you're good enough to not need the fundamentals, you can ditch them. I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic, so I'll play it straight and apologize in advance if I'm mis-reading anything. I think the first two things in his comment..." :no:" and "Boy" told you he was being sarcastic. Just my
-
It looks like he had a great angle to see a pulled foot, albeit, a little further out than I think he should be. Not the angle I would have had on a ball hit to F6 but, where he was (on step off the foul line) gave him a good look at the inside part of the bag.
-
Ignore, Acknowledge, Warn, Eject. In this case, all it took was an acknowledgement (in the form of a question).
-
I don't think PU is out of position. Is he in an ideal position? No. However, he's responsible for the rundown between 3B and HP and that's what put him where he is. From this position, he could have been straight-lined, but, he may have had a good look at the tag of R3. You don't see too many of these plays. But, the base running leaves a lot to be desired.
-
You handled that perfectly.
-
Exactly, @Majordave! My Summer ball Fed group yells "D--d Ball!" (see, I can't even say it!!!) all the time! I cringe whenever I hear them say that. I must tell every guy I work with exactly what you just said above.
-
He's probably been told every time he's tried to use the glove that he can't use it. His canned response is that "he's used it all year long without anyone saying anything" to him. My reply would be, "That's okay. Today, he needs to get a different glove."
-
Jerry Layne leaves the game ... ball 4 or foul?
UmpJeff replied to Thunderheads's topic in Professional
I was watching the ballgame. It didn't seem, on the number of replays, that the ball ever touched the bat. I did not see any directional change of the flight of the ball until it hit Cervelli's mitt...then into Layne's mask. That was a heck of a shot. It looked like he was checking to see if he had all his chicklets in place. Hopefully, nothing serious comes from this.- 9 replies
-
- Jerry Layne
- Miguel Cabrera
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Nutty Buddy Cup-Will it fit into UnderArmour Jockstrap Cup Pocket?
UmpJeff replied to Majordave's topic in Umpire Equipment
Wore my new Nutty Buddy last night for the first time. I loved it! Very comfortable and stayed right were it was supposed to. It almost felt like I wasn't wearing a cup at all!! -
I chew. I DO NOT, however, chew on a baseball diamond where there are rules in place prohibiting its use. NFHS (HS) and Fed ball...NCAA...etc. As @Stan W. has stated, you can't enforce the rules on the field if you're breaking them. Having said that, I do chew when I work the Men's Adult Baseball League (MSBL/MABL) in my area. Their rules prohibit alcohol consumption, use of illegal drugs, and smoking. Their rules are silent on smokeless tobacco products...at least as far as I have read.
-
Nutty Buddy Cup-Will it fit into UnderArmour Jockstrap Cup Pocket?
UmpJeff replied to Majordave's topic in Umpire Equipment
My Nutty Buddy arrived in yesterday's mail. I'm giving it its initiation tonight. I also bought the jock that comes with it. I put it on and punched myself a few times, quite forceful I might add, with no ill effects. Looking forward to seeing its comfort level behind the plate. I'm planning on wearing it in the jock over my compression pants. Any thoughts? -
There is a lot of chatter/yelling from benches in both HS and College. I permit them to be as vocal as they'd like to be so long as it's to/at their own teammates. BUT, the first time I hear any of it directed at an opposing player, I shut it down.
-
It looks to me that at the 2:55 mark, after KD pointed the bunted ball fair, he gave the "safe" signal as if to indicate he didn't have a tag. Perhaps he even verbalized the "no tag". That would explain why Mesoraco immediately came up gunning to 3B to get the force. Did anyone else see KD wash out the tag of Molina??
-
Calmly say, "No, I am not. He's safe. That's enough." Turn away and walk back to C.
