Jump to content

UmpJeff

Established Member
  • Posts

    805
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Everything posted by UmpJeff

  1. I may be mistaken, but, I believe that assigners/administrators can over-ride blocks while assigning games. But, I follow the school that if a date is blocked, it's blocked. I don't know...I could be wrong. Assigners - Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
  2. UmpJeff

    Making the jump

    C'mon in, the water's warm! I started back into this gig in my mid-40s after a brief 22 year break. You're gonna love it!!! The only regret I have is the 22 year sabbatical...
  3. Your ump chief is not all knowing. You did the correct thing in doing nothing.
  4. ...clicker...
  5. As a BU, you always want chest-to-ball. In this case, PU has a broader view of the entire playing action, and in my opinion, would have a good look at the entire field of play. As PU, you need to look at the "big picture" as the play is developing. Having said that, PU should have been able to see any obstruction on the trailing runner. I'm not putting the entire onus on PU, but, that's why there are two of us out there. However, there are limitations to a 2-man crew.
  6. T'was a great recovery, though!
  7. With all due respect, Max, as an umpire, I would be cautious on "coaching" kids. Especially, 14U Elite players. Although your instruction wasn't heard by anyone but F2, you can run into a potential $hitstorm if an opposing coach hears an umpire instructing the other team. Just my
  8. As mentioned above, Joe West had a pretty succinct way of EJ'ing a catcher. "You're gonna need a new catcher." seemed to have worked well. A douchenozzle catcher, at that!
  9. If you're locked in with a still head and properly tracking the ball with your eyes all the way into F2's mitt, you're going to see where the pitch crosses the plate. I know that sounds rudimentary, but, whenever I feel like I'm struggling and "missing" pitches, I get back to the basics. It works every time!!
  10. ​I had to look this word up... I learned something today!
  11. Yes, you can. Yes, you did. Great call!
  12. Proud (term used loosely...) Parent If you haven't yet figured it out, you came to the wrong place. Actually, you came to the right place to get your question answered. However, the words you chose to ask your question don't sit well with the brethren. I suggest you take @Majordave's advice. Have a nice day.
  13. ​I thought you called it a "clicker"... Glad to see you use the correct term.
  14. ​He didn't umpire because his son's untimely death. He lost two sons...one at 8 and one at 27. Sad and tragic experience to have to endure.
  15. While watching "The Third Team" 2014 edition, in the replay booth they used the movement of the glove caused by the ball hitting it as the determining factor when looking at the replay of a head first slide by a Royals player to rule whether the ball was caught or the hand touched the bag first. When the ball hit the back of the glove, the hand was about an inch from the bag. Eric Cooper ruled safe, but, the call was overturned by Jerry "Turtle" Meals (with the help of Justin Klemm and Brian O'Nora).
  16. That's one Hell of an abscess Fonzie has in his mouth! #justapinchhandfulbetweenyourcheekandgum
  17. I understand that they're "big boys". The fact that Hirschbeck dropped the F-bomb on Freeman, in my mind, only added fuel to the fire. "That's enough!" is a whole lot less confrontational and red-ass than "Are you talking to me?? You better shut your f---ing mouth!" while at the same time getting your point across. The end result was the same...Freeman got dumped. I agree with @Thunderheads. The bait was cast...
  18. James is an instructor at a camp I attend every February. Great umpire...greater person!!!
  19. Good luck, Lou! Enjoy the important things in life...
  20. I don't think he (Hirschbeck) needed to drop the F-bomb (...and I don't mean Freeman...) in this situation...
  21. I never take an indicator on the diamond when I'm working the bases. And, when I work the plate, I tell my partner he doesn't need to take an indicator onto the diamond, too. Keeping the count is the PUs responsibility.
  22. Change is good!!
  23. HTHC would have been warned immediately after his comment about him asking you if you wanted BU calling Balls and Strikes for you. The leash would have been so tight his face would turn red. But then he says "your other umpire has been overturning your calls all day, do you want to get him in here to help?" I said "coach, that's your warning. "BOOM, you're done!"
  24. Is it me, or, is Lloyd McClendon becoming a bit of a rat???
  25. ​I'm not getting anywhere near the melee. I'm taking down numbers and ejecting, accordingly. I noticed in the video the umpires became engaged. Not sure why, but I'm never getting in the middle of something like that.
×
×
  • Create New...