State Uniform Policy

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2810 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What is your state's policy on uniforms, specifically shirt colors? Here in Missouri, it's a bit arcane:

Umpires shall wear either the light blue button down shirt that is currently being used or the navy blue pullover and gray slacks. However, crews shall be dressed in the same uniform for each game.

NJ- Navy pullover, charcoal pants. Blue jacket, no stripes for state tourney. Red.white stripe OK for regular season.

And new this year..Black shirts/ jackets are allowed for regular season!!  :beerbang

Only problem I see...Very few of my assigned partners are going to have black shirts/jackets. Geez, I had to hear 'em bitching a few years ago when they had to get rid of their 8 year old heathers. 

• Like 2

Ohio:

BA-Official.JPGBaseball

The approved uniform for interscholastic baseball umpires is the Fechheimer gray color pants with an MLU navy shirt with the OHSAA embroidered logo on the right breast. Undershirts or t-shirts shall be red. When needed, a navy blue jacket or coat shall be worn. Official OHSAA logo officials apparel shall be purchased from one of the authorized dealers listed above. All umpires on a crew must be dressed alike. Navy caps with OHSAA printed in block letters on the crown must be worn and shall be purchased only from authorized dealers. Any other emblems or patches are not permitted on the officiating uniform. EXECPTION: An American flag may be worn appropriately. Jewelry may not be worn except wedding band, medical ID, or religious medal.
     Penalty - Fine not to exceed $100.

We're in the process of switching to charcoal pants, which have been required for state tournament umpires for a couple years now.

That's because Missouri is a lot arcane.

I am from Missouri. You are correct.

I grew up there. Moved back for two years early this decade. Glad my house in California didn't sell. Was not happy there. For some reason people have become very miserable and mean.

Florida: black or polo blue and charcoal pants. But for regular season as long as we match we can wear any color.

Pretty much the same here. Navy blue is out.

That's because Missouri is a lot arcane.

I am from Missouri. You are correct.

I grew up there. Moved back for two years early this decade. Glad my house in California didn't sell. Was not happy there. For some reason people have become very miserable and mean.

Florida: black or polo blue and charcoal pants. But for regular season as long as we match we can wear any color.

Pretty much the same here. Navy blue is out.

Yep.

NJ- Navy pullover, charcoal pants. Blue jacket, no stripes for state tourney. Red.white stripe OK for regular season.

And new this year..Black shirts/ jackets are allowed for regular season!!  :beerbang

Only problem I see...Very few of my assigned partners are going to have black shirts/jackets. Geez, I had to hear 'em bitching a few years ago when they had to get rid of their 8 year old heathers. 

Was at a clinic yesterday. Speaker said, change or leave. Either way you're part of the solution. Why do people hate change? We had a guy who took years to use slacks with pleats on them. I

• Like 1

Ohio:

BA-Official.JPGBaseball

The approved uniform for interscholastic baseball umpires is the Fechheimer gray color pants with an MLU navy shirt with the OHSAA embroidered logo on the right breast. Undershirts or t-shirts shall be red. When needed, a navy blue jacket or coat shall be worn. Official OHSAA logo officials apparel shall be purchased from one of the authorized dealers listed above. All umpires on a crew must be dressed alike. Navy caps with OHSAA printed in block letters on the crown must be worn and shall be purchased only from authorized dealers. Any other emblems or patches are not permitted on the officiating uniform. EXECPTION: An American flag may be worn appropriately. Jewelry may not be worn except wedding band, medical ID, or religious medal.

Penalty - Fine not to exceed $100.

We're in the process of switching to charcoal pants, which have been required for state tournament umpires for a couple years now.

And college ball for quite a few years.

The problem with Missouri (and I'm sure other states, too) is they don't want to "require" umpires to buy a whole new wardrobe. I would venture to say well over 80% of umpires in Missouri would say they own black and polo blue if MSHSAA would do a simple online survey.

Most state associations are run by former coaches and administrators who don't care about and/or don't pay attention to officials. For instance Missouri does not require any training or clinics for new baseball umpires. Supposedly they are in the works, but who knows.

• Like 3

Michigan:

The required uniform of an umpire for both regular season and tournament contests consists of either a navy blue or powder blue pullover with red/white or navy/white sleeve and collar stripes, gray slacks and proper umpire cap.  Although either navy blue or powder blue pullover shirts are allowed, both (all) umpires must wear the same color pullover.  An umpires cap with the MHSAA monogrammed logo is permitted.  All other articles (i.e., turtleneck, undershirt and jacket) shall be navy blue. The belt, shoes and socks shall be solid black. The ball bag shall be either gray or navy blue. The current MHSAA OFFICIALS EMBLEM shall be visible and WORN ON THE LEFT POCKET.

Umpire Shirts- Honig’s MHMLS, HMLSN, HMLSWN, HMLSLB or equivalent
Umpire Pants- Any of the Honig’s PB or B model gray pants or equivalent are acceptable.
Jacket- M18, K17N or equivalent
Cap- MK02 or MK03

FWIW, I've never heard of a person getting in trouble, or for that matter even been talked to, about having white on their shoes… I wish they would do away with the grey ball bags. I also wish they would do away with the white striped powder blue and adapt the black collar, but  :shrug:
  • Like 2

The problem with Missouri (and I'm sure other states, too) is they don't want to "require" umpires to buy a whole new wardrobe. I would venture to say well over 80% of umpires in Missouri would say they own black and polo blue if MSHSAA would do a simple online survey.

Most state associations are run by former coaches and administrators who don't care about and/or don't pay attention to officials. For instance Missouri does not require any training or clinics for new baseball umpires. Supposedly they are in the works, but who knows.

Plus, it's Missouri.

Both Oregon and Washingto, I believe, now allo Charcoal pants. I also think the uniform is the navy pull overs. However, both associations say "as long as you match your partner, you are good." Oregon also requires you to wear the OSAA patch with the current year on it for all varsity games. WIAA is also trying to implement the same requirement with limited success.

The problem is that it still says people wear button-down shirts. It's my feeling that no one has even updated the yearly Notes, except to change the dates for different things.

While it may fall on deaf ears, I'm going to write a letter to the state to remove the button-down and add the ability for umpires to wear one of four colors (navy, MLB blue, softball blue [another option for the "no new stuff" crowd], black), as long as they match. The point I would make is that 99% of the umpires have the navy, so there's no problem with the "I don't want to buy new stuff" umpires (if they're still using a button-down, we have to wonder about the quality of the official).

Ideally, they should simply say "Wear anything, but match." However, I understand that opens the door to newer umpires having to spend a lot more in buying several colors, some of which may never be worn. Because of that, I'm advocating the above.

• Like 2

The problem is that it still says people wear button-down shirts. It's my feeling that no one has even updated the yearly Notes, except to change the dates for different things.

While it may fall on deaf ears, I'm going to write a letter to the state to remove the button-down and add the ability for umpires to wear one of four colors (navy, MLB blue, softball blue [another option for the "no new stuff" crowd], black), as long as they match. The point I would make is that 99% of the umpires have the navy, so there's no problem with the "I don't want to buy new stuff" umpires (if they're still using a button-down, we have to wonder about the quality of the official).

Ideally, they should simply say "Wear anything, but match." However, I understand that opens the door to newer umpires having to spend a lot more in buying several colors, some of which may never be worn. Because of that, I'm advocating the above.

I am the instructional chairman of our hs unit and I send links to the pages of certain shirts from Honigs and Umpattire. Will give several other links tomorrow as well as show them what shirts to wear. Sent a link out and had a guy buy a polo blue with a red, white and blue collar. He told me that the link I sent out had too many options. Trying to put the blame on me. Problem is there is no are no options other than the stated picture, only sizes or numbers. Unbelievable for a man in his 60's.

Tennessee- Navy blue shirt, gray pants (heather or charcoal), blue hat with red/white TSSAA. Jackets / coats must be BLACK! So you wear a blue hat, black coat. Looks GREAT! LOL.

I wish we would go to all black or all blue. I hate the black / blue combo.

Michigan:

The required uniform of an umpire for both regular season and tournament contests consists of either a navy blue or powder blue pullover with red/white or navy/white sleeve and collar stripes, gray slacks and proper umpire cap.  Although either navy blue or powder blue pullover shirts are allowed, both (all) umpires must wear the same color pullover.  An umpires cap with the MHSAA monogrammed logo is permitted.  All other articles (i.e., turtleneck, undershirt and jacket) shall be navy blue. The belt, shoes and socks shall be solid black. The ball bag shall be either gray or navy blue. The current MHSAA OFFICIALS EMBLEM shall be visible and WORN ON THE LEFT POCKET.

Umpire Pants- Any of the Honig’s PB or B model gray pants or equivalent are acceptable.
Cap- MK02 or MK03

FWIW, I've never heard of a person getting in trouble, or for that matter even been talked to, about having white on their shoes… I wish they would do away with the grey ball bags. I also wish they would do away with the white striped powder blue and adapt the black collar, but  :shrug:

Yup ... LOTS of guys have some white on their shoes, even guys doing a district game I saw last season (base ump).    Also, I've seen and worked games with the "Pro Polo Blue" (black collared) shirts w/ the MHSAA Patches on them and never heard a word.   The only time (in Michigan) that you could get 'scolded' is if 1) your assignor is there, or 2) if one of the coaches reports you ....

Primarily though, ...we wear Navy .... it is what it is.   That being said, .... I don't wear 'navy' undergarments evertime, ... I'll wear red most of the time ....

• Like 1

Michigan:

Cap- MK02 or MK03

Yup ... LOTS of guys have some white on their shoes, even guys doing a district game I saw last season (base ump).    Also, I've seen and worked games with the "Pro Polo Blue" (black collared) shirts w/ the MHSAA Patches on them and never heard a word.   The only time (in Michigan) that you could get 'scolded' is if 1) your assignor is there, or 2) if one of the coaches reports you ....

Primarily though, ...we wear Navy .... it is what it is.   That being said, .... I don't wear 'navy' undergarments evertime, ... I'll wear red most of the time ....

Please post pictures of undergarmets.

• Like 1

Michigan:

Cap- MK02 or MK03

Please post pictures of undergarmets.

not necessary ....  t-shirts, compression stuff, turtle necks etc are supposed to be navy per Michigan code, ...I typically will wear red under a navy jersey, etc