Poly Wools - Buh-bye

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3075 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought the same thing, but if you type poly/wool in the search option it does bring up Plate and base polywools with no picture.  The only issue is that now the sku numbers are pbs3 and pbs4 instead of pbs1 and pbs2.  I plan to call before ordering to make sure they are the same.  I am planning on getting a couple knew pairs in a smaller size this year and was worried when I couldn't find them originally.  The new site is very lacking in product pictures and listing all of the products. 

Thanks Jason, but that doesn't necessarily equate to "Honigs isnt' making them anymore" ...... I'm surprised

I don't know what's going on with Honigs. I've heard there are some issues with some of their regional stores, but beyond that, if this is just a website omission, if they aren't making poly-wools anymore, or if they're going out of business...I can't answer any of those.

I've seen the Gerry Davis poly wools and they are identical to the current poly wools color wise. I believe Fechheimer/Flying Cross is making them. I don't know the price range or anything else. 

It has sizes 30-52 listed on the plate pants.  I think they just haven't done a good job of updating the website.  Hopefully the Gerry Davis polywools are more like the Honigs/old Ump attire than the Smitty. 

Hmmmm......  I see that.   Listed without a photo .........not listed under the PANTS section .... all sizes appear to be available?  Maybe this isn't anything?

I just ordered a pair a couple of days ago by calling the 800# because I couldn't find them on the website.  Spiffdawg7 is correct on the new item numbers:  pbs3 for base / pbs4 for plate.  The guy I spoke with didn't seem too worried that they weren't listed with the other pants which seemed odd to me.

• Like 1

Just emailed Gerry Davis about their new slacks.  Inquired about whether or not they would have the elastic waist band.  The info I received was that they will be arriving by the end of this month and they will have the elastic waist band in them.  Not a big fan of the elastic waist.

I just ordered a pair a couple of days ago by calling the 800# because I couldn't find them on the website.  Spiffdawg7 is correct on the new item numbers:  pbs3 for base / pbs4 for plate.  The guy I spoke with didn't seem too worried that they weren't listed with the other pants which seemed odd to me.

This looks to be all but a mistake with the website.  Sorry for the panic gents

• Like 1

I don't think Honigs is going out of business ?? But the company that really made the poly wools went through a  bankruptcy   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwick_Clothes , I believe this is the reason the the UA poly wools were so short lived and why Jim could not fill the pants order for MiLB and actually needed Honigs help 

Wonder if Davis has finally changed the color to more match the Smitty or Honigs coloring. It might not be noticed by normal folks. But it sticks out like a sore thumb to those in the know.

I've seen them next to my Honigs poly wools and the color is identical. They are virtually the same pants.

I've seen them next to my Honigs poly wools and the color is identical. They are virtually the same pants.

How about the feel of the pants?  I notice that Honig's has a thicker feel to them than the Smitty's.  Any thoughts?

Speaking of Honig's, does anyone know if they still sale the gift cards at a discounted price around Christmas? They're coming in town this weekend and I wouldn't mind having a gift card that saves me $50 on top of what they'll sale discounted this weekend. I'm in the market for a new set of Polywools. 

I've heard there are some issues with some of their regional stores, but beyond that, if this is just a website omission, if they aren't making poly-wools anymore, or if they're going out of business...I can't answer any of those.

Honig's basically demoted the regional stores and turned them back into distributors trying to take most of the inventory back into MI and ship from MI as well.

Dick Honig was an awesome official and is all around good guy who I am very fond of. 

Their business model and inventory they carry is beginning to look very dated even with the recent refresh of their website. A couple the younger umpires that I work with will not buy stuff from them because they absolutely hate the Honigs embroidery they sell on all of their stuff is one example.

Honig's business was built long before it's real competition hit their strides. Back in it's "hey day" it was Honig's or calling someone like the very abrasive Sylvia Parsons from +POS who acted like she was doing you a huge favor to UPS your package to you. Look out if you had a problem she was a beast. Sure there were others but now there's Gerry Davis, Ump-Attire and even Amazon to name a few. it's a different world where you can save money still and get quality service. Honig's is trying to make some changes. The question is will they be able to turn their very effective late 1980s business model into something that can compete with some pretty formidable customer service oriented now entrenched competition moving forward.

Edited by Cato the Younger
  • Like 1

IMO, the only way for a supplier to survive is if they offer unique products. Because it's just too easy to buy ubiquitous items for a cheaper price with just a couple of quick searches. Store loyalty may sound nice, but so does $20. Epicsports.com can beat most other sites on an every day basis.

Honig's has polywools, 'cause Harwick doesn't sell direct. +POS has those neat-o plate brushes. The Official's Choice has those uber-patriotic flag shirts. Ump-Attire does have the right idea by trying to round up the best of everything, for one stop shopping. Many of us will pay a little extra to push one button, and get great service (like timely reviews). But some are willing to push a few more, and keep the $.

The retail landscape has changed.

p.s. I liked dealing with Sylvia. She was always very nice to me, even when I called about a bag that took several months to get to me.