We Lost an Umpire Today…

MadMax

https://madison.com/news/local/madison-mallards-umpire-dies/article_47ea19b6-1e95-11ee-be63-c7ca461bf81a.html

I’ll comment as I am able, but I cannot publish any details beyond what our League releases. 

Conor and I came into the League together, and we’ve been the two longest-tenured umpires in the League thru yesterday. He was my table-mate at UPC in 2019. 

What’s gutting me is… I had just hung up a 40-minute phone call with him no more than 10 minutes before it happened. 

😣

• Sad 11

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

https://madison.com/news/local/madison-mallards-umpire-dies/article_47ea19b6-1e95-11ee-be63-c7ca461bf81a.html

I’ll comment as I am able, but I cannot publish any details beyond what our League releases. 

Conor and I came into the League together, and we’ve been the two longest-tenured umpires in the League thru yesterday. He was my table-mate at UPC in 2019. 

What’s gutting me is… I had just hung up a 40-minute phone call with him no more than 10 minutes before it happened. 

😣

Yes he was my son is the head coach of the Rochester Honkers and he speaks very fondly of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update (7/13/23) - 

Thank you emphatically for your condolences, sympathies, and outreach of support. Each of us in the League – whether current or veteran – appreciate it. 

Regarding Conor, several of you knew him, or knew of him, and also know efforts and campaigns are underway to support his family and bring him home. One such endeavor is headed by @Razzer – please reach out to him if you do not know of other methods underway. I don’t participate in Facebook, so I don’t know where to point you. 

More importantly, his two crewmates survived the crash, and deserve every bit of support – especially moral, emotional, and psychological – we can extend them. I can’t disclose their names here; one is from Texas, the other is from California (LA). The one from California is resuming the League circuit – he’s in good hands. He’s just experiencing challenges in recovering and/or replacing various essential items that disappeared or lost during the crash. PM for details, or if you do know him, reach out to him. 

The one from Texas needs much the same support, but slightly more tailored to his circumstances and age. This is his first time in an over-the-road, season-long league, and from what I know, first time experiencing a trauma like this. He’s a good kid, and has good potential; we don’t want to let an experience like this sour his participation in baseball. If anyone from Texas or TASO would like details, please PM. 

A few of my colleagues – especially guys who’ve served alongside Conor before – could use a shoulder to lean on. 

Me? I’m more thankful, genuinely thankful, that the two crew-guys aren’t more gravely injured than they were. Perhaps I’m just in (typical) “fix it” mode – promptly driving across the league and calling upon all available resources to cover the absences. The game goes on. Maybe it will hit me once we have an off day, and I don’t have that little putz calling me to cover war stories, or to remind me, that because I got bumped up to “front office” I’m still 20-some games behind him on the leaderboard, or prod me to come to whatever city he was next at to give him (yet) a(nother) game off. 

I realize we… I… can’t fix everything. 😕

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2